BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-27-2010, 12:06 PM   #1
PyratOne
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe (Not an M1!)

Info in European Delivery

New member to the community, but Ive been reading (daily) updates here in 1addicts over the last few months. Loving the debate and info surrounding the new 1 series M. Ive been waiting for what seems 4 or 5 years for a car like this.

Two things seem certain a this point. 1) BMW WILL make this care. 2) US will be 'behind the wheel' early summer 2011.

My question/request is any and all info on EU. Ive read some background on this site and I have to say Im a bit concerned. Was it true M3 was not available for the first year as EU? Also true that 1 series M has limited production? Doesnt sound like a good combo.

I have GOT to drive this car in Europe! And I dont think Im alone.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2010, 12:35 PM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyratOne View Post
...Two things seem certain a this point. 1) BMW WILL make this care. 2) US will be 'behind the wheel' early summer 2011...
I thought I read that the new 1M will be out late in the 3rd quarter, 2011. So in my book that is sometime in fall: Sept/Oct. ???

Just look at the new five series... It was released over here in DE back in March. Just now the US cars are starting to trickle in. But now BMW says there is atleast a four month wait for one! I think it will be the same way for the 1M(or what ever it will be named).

What I read before was that the european release of the 1M will be late in the 2nd half of the year 2011. So a few months later US sales would start.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2010, 01:08 PM   #3
PyratOne
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

SCOTT's newest post yesterday
"That timescale seems correct. The plan is for European customers to have their cars in the Spring of 2011. With US and other markets behind the wheel for early Summer 2011."

When is the best weather to visit Munich? And more importantly, I need information on best pubs along the way!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2010, 05:21 PM   #4
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

I would not expect Euro delivery on the 1 ///M for sometime. ///M models and some models are not available for ED from the start, look at when the 1er launched the first true ED was not for almost six months, ///M cars come from dealer allocation so it is doubtful that many dealers would be looking to give up a slot unless the buyer paid a premium as the dealer looses out on CSI money. I am sure a dealer will chime in agree on that.

Last edited by mapezzul; 06-29-2010 at 10:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2010, 07:42 PM   #5
PyratOne
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the info. I recall reading something about the ///M dealer allocation issue on the board here before. And the delay in ED - lets hope there is less delay given the short production run of this car.

Im sure anyone who has looked into ED has seen this info before, but I havent. So, i'll post here for others. Any comments on what trees to bark up (and not) are appreciated.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...y/Default.aspx - BMW website. As anyone has seen who has looked into ED, there are ‘package’ tours. No prices=expensive? No forums or blogs.

http://www.edbmw.com/main/ - havent seen any updated information aside from some gallery pix (some are excellent)

http://www.bmweurodelivery.com/ - expert Teri Blakeley. Info appears very close to BMW NA website. Lufthansa two-for-one discounts, ultimate tour packages, etc. The forums here appear more updated than edbmw, although last update was Feb2010.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/index.php/ED_Summary - wiki and forum appear to have useful info
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2010, 11:23 PM   #6
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapezzul View Post
///M models and some models are not available for ED from the start, look at when the 1eer launched the first ED was not for six months
Actually, the 1 series was available for Euro Delivery when US dealers started taking orders. I had my initial deposit down back in October 2007, placed my order in January 2008, and picked up the car in May.
      06-29-2010, 10:44 PM   #7
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
Actually, the 1 series was available for Euro Delivery when US dealers started taking orders. I had my initial deposit down back in October 2007, placed my order in January 2008, and picked up the car in May.
Did you pick up in March? No, because the car was not available for ED and when they were made available they came out of dealer allocation initially hence why most were not given any discount. Official date for sales to commence was 3/22/2008. You placed your order for ED before hand but did not pick up at the launch. This was beaten to death years ago.
      06-30-2010, 11:48 AM   #8
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Did you pick up in March? No, because the car was not available for ED and when they were made available they came out of dealer allocation initially hence why most were not given any discount. Official date for sales to commence was 3/22/2008. You placed your order for ED before hand but did not pick up at the launch. This was beaten to death years ago.
Quote:
look at when the 1er launched the first true ED was not for almost six months,
No, I didn't pick it up in March on ED, nor would I have wanted to. You mentioned that when the 1er launched, ED wasn't available for about six months, which wasn't true. Sure, it wasn't available during the launch in March, but it was come April. I could have picked it up in April, but that didn't work with my schedule.

I imagine the 1 M will come out of dealer inventory just like other M cars in regards to Euro Delivery. It's all about finding a dealer who is willing to work with Euro Delivery.
      07-12-2010, 07:21 PM   #9
PyratOne
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

more info. Im sure others are more savy, but Im still learning.

The availability for discounted ED on M cars is relatively recent, last 18 months or so. But, even M cars, and new models are available for ED. It is likely the ED MSRP that is not negotiable (at ~ 7% lower than NA MSRP). And appears confirmed that M car does come out of dealer allocation, so negotiation is difficult if not impossible.

Still trying to figure out benefit to sales. No profit for saleman + M car comes out of allocation = raw deal.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2010, 10:35 PM   #10
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

Quote:
I would not expect Euro delivery on the 1 ///M for sometime. ///M models and some models are not available for ED from the start, look at when the 1er launched the first true ED was not for almost six months, ///M cars come from dealer allocation so it is doubtful that many dealers would be looking to give up a slot unless the buyer paid a premium as the dealer looses out on CSI money. I am sure a dealer will chime in agree on that.
That's not true, I had the very first ED 135i, and it was ~3 weeks after the first car was delivered in the USA.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 11:32 PM   #11
TrojanBMW
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by E82tt6 View Post
That's not true, I had the very first ED 135i, and it was ~3 weeks after the first car was delivered in the USA.
Yep. I did mine in May 2008 and could have done it earlier. The only real hurdle is finding a dealer to do the paperwork.

Just a side note, don't expect the savings on an M that you would on a "normal" BMW. The Ms count against the dealer allotment.
Appreciate 0