E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Possible dealer dishonesty?

06-04-2010, 11:23 AM   #1
WWM3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 GT3

Possible dealer dishonesty?

I purchased a CPO 2007 335i in late december. Last weekend I was taking the wheels off to wax them and I noticed that my front pass. tire was wearing unevenly and might need to be replaced. I realized I needed an alignment and probably a new tire. I took the car to an indy shop near my place who does excellent work. I pick the car up and they are telling me that it was previously in an accident and that the front bumper and hood were repainted. In addition, the alignment was so bad that they were not able to fix it completely and that the tire wear will most likely continue. Apparently, the part is hundreds of dollars.

I went over the history of the car with the salesman and this was not disclosed to me. So either the dealer didn't know or they didn't tell me. I would assume that the dealer would have known because the car was CPO right? Even if the previous owner didn't report the accident. I mean the car was used and I guess they could blame this on me, but this is very disappointing. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 12:04 PM   #2
k3silk
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 M3 & 14 M5

Sometimes the Stealerships wont know because they buy wholesale or it could be that the person that got into the accident with the car paid for it out of pocket and was not recorded. All those are "Could be situations" but my geuss is that they did know.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 12:12 PM   #3
atwell3993
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi

Same thing just happened with my dads 550i, he went to the dealership, and he basically threatened them with a lawsuit (he has a full time lawyer for his business), so he told them it wouldn't cost him crap to mess with them. Yea, they took the car back, gave him full cash what he payed back, and 10% off any new car on the lot.

08 335xi | Sport | Cold Weather | Black on black | KW V1 | 19" VMR VB3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
When even your heroes are criminals, what do you expect?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 12:27 PM   #4
WWM3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I called my salesman and left a voicemail. I called and asked for a sales manager and got voicemail. Maybe a call to BMWNA would be best?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 12:29 PM   #5
AlpineG05
hi
Rep
Drives: Alpine White G05

rather than calling the dealership, drive over there yourself and tell them what's going on.
      06-04-2010, 01:06 PM   #6
shifterboy45
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Coupe

this is a prime example of why most people shouldnt lease cars -- cuz they beat them into the ground and return them, letting the next joe feel like the dealer is taking advantage of them... sometimes the dealer has to except the responsibility for certain things, but it would smooth out the process if the owners were up front when they damage the cars ---

wholesale cars are not eligible for certification, unless the car is aquired from a BMW auction, or the car is turned in on a lease it will not qualify for CPO

with the way things are nowadays, do you really think someone would report their accident to BMW and take a hit in value at the end of their lease? $$$
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 01:44 PM   #7
BDMBimmer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 3 series

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifterboy45 View Post
this is a prime example of why most people shouldnt lease cars -- cuz they beat them into the ground and return them, letting the next joe feel like the dealer is taking advantage of them... sometimes the dealer has to except the responsibility for certain things, but it would smooth out the process if the owners were up front when they damage the cars ---

wholesale cars are not eligible for certification, unless the car is aquired from a BMW auction, or the car is turned in on a lease it will not qualify for CPO

with the way things are nowadays, do you really think someone would report their accident to BMW and take a hit in value at the end of their lease? $$$
+1 I have always thought they shouldn't offer leases.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 01:50 PM   #8
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifterboy45 View Post

That is exactly why a lot of people actually lease cars - so they don't have to care, only do the bare minimum required and give it back - one reason why I avoid lease return used cars. The dealer still needs to measure the paint to CPO the car, they can still CPO the car up to a certain amount of damage - bumper repaints are ok and they may not have actually done an alignment and not caught the damage, but should be responsible for it, I will bet the claim it happened because you hit a pot hole or something though - good luck!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 02:57 PM   #9
dlbrooks18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine 335i View Post
rather than calling the dealership, drive over there yourself and tell them what's going on.
+1, yea drive over there

2008 E90 335
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 03:07 PM   #10
ss134
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Sorry to hear this OP - get down to that dealership and give them a chance to rectify the problem before going giving them both barrels.............if they are not being very helpful then threaten legal action, this car was CPO ed which means you should have had 'piece of mind' when purchasing.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 03:31 PM   #11
WWM3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the imput guys. Just got a call back from the dealer. I'm taking the car in next week for them to look at it. I'm not enthusiastic about them covering anything to be honest. The sales manager went on about how bad PA pot holes are. He also mentioned that they repaint bumpers all the time. My resonse was that my bumper had many dings in it when I bought the car, so if it was repainted it must have been waaayyy before I got it.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 05:19 PM   #12
shifterboy45
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob View Post
That is exactly why a lot of people actually lease cars - so they don't have to care, only do the bare minimum required and give it back - one reason why I avoid lease return used cars. The dealer still needs to measure the paint to CPO the car, they can still CPO the car up to a certain amount of damage - bumper repaints are ok and they may not have actually done an alignment and not caught the damage, but should be responsible for it, I will bet the claim it happened because you hit a pot hole or something though - good luck!
these are reasons im talking about --

but everyone contends that no one should tell them what to do with "their" car.. and try to hide as much as possible behind the warranty.. like mod to engines, suspension, and the like.

on top of that, some people dont want to be honest with the dealer or BMW after they have trashed the car that they intend to return... and EVERYONE wonders WHY is BMW getting so strict with their warranty coverage, why dealers dont like to work with, or on modded cars.. have few of these babies come back on CPO and have a few lawsuits on stuff that was out of your control, (believe me BMW will not step up to subsequent or undisclosed damage or non BMW spec repairs) and what will that dealers bottom line look like at the end of the year???

so the question is, when do we as customers take responsibility for picking up the bill, or is that just for the greedy corporate giants ???

sounds like a David and Goliath story to me ...

consider the following choices;
*either repair it and disclose it --
*repair it to BMW specs so the next joe doesnt get into a fix and think that the dealer is pulling the wool over their eyes *
*dont mod it and expect that everything should be a warranty issue -- in reference to modded component or affected systems...

or go out and mod and thrash a KIA that is a little cheaper to repair, if it has to come out of your pocket...
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2010, 04:52 AM   #13
Spydeputy
Brigadier General
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2015 F23 M235i/2008,E90,335xi

Garage List
Paint reader

before a dealer buys a used car they go over the paint w/ a reader to see if it has been repainted so the don't get burned.
like they are about to when you show up at their door. talk nice first, then let them have it. don't go on the weekend, the bosses might not be in.

keep us updated!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2010, 05:25 AM   #14
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by atwell3993 View Post
Same thing just happened with my dads 550i, he went to the dealership, and he basically threatened them with a lawsuit (he has a full time lawyer for his business), so he told them it wouldn't cost him crap to mess with them. Yea, they took the car back, gave him full cash what he payed back, and 10% off any new car on the lot.
Why would anybody do business with somebody that cheated them, and do it at 10% off? If I were the dealership I'd let a customer sue me, it obviously is a part of their routine. Business is business, but attitude has a lot to do with it too. Someone comes at me with a bad one, and I would s**** them back in spades.
Appreciate 0