E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Xede Map Wishlist

12-07-2006, 07:17 AM   #1
kingbriani
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '07 Honda S2000

Xede Map Wishlist

So I dont know how much Shiv will use this to guage interest in maps but I thought it might be a good idea to have a place where we could kind of voice our opinions on what maps we would like to see for the Xede. I know Shiv has mentioned a valet map and a race gas map among others and was wondering what other maps people might want to see. Personally, I would really like an economy map where Shiv tunes for maximum economy to use while doing everyday driving. Maybe dial back the boost and do whatever other magic he does to get a couple more mpg. Who else would like to see this? And what other maps might be a good idea/ do you want to see?
Sport Package, Navigation, Bluetooth, Sunshade, Heated Seats, 6 mt
BBS RG-Rs
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2006, 07:47 AM   #2
sstarch1
From Russia With Boost
Rep
Drives: E92 335i - Vroom

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbriani
So I dont know how much Shiv will use this to guage interest in maps but I thought it might be a good idea to have a place where we could kind of voice our opinions on what maps we would like to see for the Xede. I know Shiv has mentioned a valet map and a race gas map among others and was wondering what other maps people might want to see. Personally, I would really like an economy map where Shiv tunes for maximum economy to use while doing everyday driving. Maybe dial back the boost and do whatever other magic he does to get a couple more mpg. Who else would like to see this? And what other maps might be a good idea/ do you want to see?

Warp Speed.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2006, 09:24 AM   #3
Insider
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
A high altitude map to maxamize high altitude performance. If that is even possible?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2006, 10:07 AM   #4
Bravo1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Accord

Changes to the Xede itself would be nice. The unit works through a serial port now which is a little on the slow side, but having a USB interface and a larger memory card would be a plus as uploading maps would be quicker and you could store more maps on the unit itself. So if someone wanted to have a valet map, a 93 octane map, and a 100+ octane map then it could all be on the unit at once without having to do an upload. Data logging of what is actively occuring to boost table, timing, etc would be nice incase if we need to do a road tune as the numbers really do fly through the table. Besides that... the Xede is pretty sweet
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2006, 10:28 AM   #5
NaViT
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 M3/E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo1
Changes to the Xede itself would be nice. The unit works through a serial port now which is a little on the slow side, but having a USB interface and a larger memory card would be a plus as uploading maps would be quicker and you could store more maps on the unit itself. So if someone wanted to have a valet map, a 93 octane map, and a 100+ octane map then it could all be on the unit at once without having to do an upload. Data logging of what is actively occuring to boost table, timing, etc would be nice incase if we need to do a road tune as the numbers really do fly through the table. Besides that... the Xede is pretty sweet
thats a good idea and the first person whit this idea had a good one also.. good job lets see what happens
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2006, 11:27 AM   #6
jerrygarcia
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335 sedan eventually

This may be wishful thinking, but i think a "snow" map would be pretty cool. Somthing really detuned so it doenst just spin in the snow.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2006, 12:30 PM   #7
dmeyer
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstarch1
Warp Speed.
Warp Speed to slow. Let's go right to...Ludicrous Speed!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2006, 12:35 PM   #8
2007/335i/coupe
Falling in Love with German Boost
Rep
Drives: 335i, E350, Accord EX, GSXR750

Garage List
I was thinking the same thing and wish the Xede can hold more than 2 maps, 3 or 4 would work out fine for me. I'd like to have one on economy mode, one with the standard 10-11 psi setting for 91 octane and one for 100 octane.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2006, 01:26 PM   #9
Borti
Borti
Rep
Drives: 335i

The economy map would probably be the stock map once you get the XEDE.

Theoretically, however, the 335 should get better gas mileage than the stock programming with the XEDE and exhaust when driving under a relatively standard condition with gradual throttle inputs and etc... So the economy map would be the XEDE alone or XEDE plus exhaust in the case of gas mileage alone. As far as a low boost map, that would be like a fail safe map if you got bad gas or something, but again, stock programming should be able to react sufficiently well to it. Having options never hurts though.

I noticed a slight improvement with my A4 gas mileage when I had a reflash and exhaust, but my evidence is hardly empirical.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarnt
Drivers over here get their license with MT. Most cars have MT, and all of my friends can drive MT. My chick had an auto once and she sold it in less than a year because she didn't like it. The only replacement to MT for me would be shifters in the steering wheel (ala F1)! Still MT but no clutch.
I don't drink,smoke,eat in my car, ever. And I don't hold the hand of my GF of her thigh or anything else unless there is traffic or stoped in a traffic light. When the car moves, I'm meant to drive it both hands... and god I do it with pleasure

Kudos!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2006, 01:49 PM   #10
TheAcAvenger
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 R35 GTR / 2007 E92 335i

I wish we could have 3 maps at once. I'd love to see a stock + 93 oct + Valet combo. And I really want the valet map to make the car ridiculously slow. Is that possible? I'm talking 0-60 in the 8.5+ range w/ 16+ second quarter mile times! That would also be helpful in the snow, now that I think about it
2018 R35 GT-R Cicio800 | 2007 E92 335i - RB Turbos, TC Kline DA Coils, HPA M3 Suspension, Quaife LSD, Stoptech BBK, JB4, FuelIT, AR Downpipes, RDSport Quads, Stett OC, Helix IC, Volk TE-37, Vorsteiner V-35, OSS Headlights | Retired - 2015 F82 M4
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2006, 02:05 PM   #11
Bravo1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Accord

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAcAvenger
I wish we could have 3 maps at once. I'd love to see a stock + 93 oct + Valet combo. And I really want the valet map to make the car ridiculously slow. Is that possible? I'm talking 0-60 in the 8.5+ range w/ 16+ second quarter mile times! That would also be helpful in the snow, now that I think about it
I think it should be possible. Just change all of the values in the boost table to zero, so if you produce any boost then it should be minimal. I am not sure if the Xede for the 335 has conditional logic, but if it does then that should take care of any timing, AF, etc irregularites that may occur in a zero boost map. Shiv should be able to put one together rather quickly, but I think he is being careful on release Xede maps until they are all truely tried and tested.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2006, 02:38 PM   #12
Dustin Bramell
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i, 125cc Trackmagic

I want a clown map. When the clown map is activated, a full fledged circus comes spilling out of the trunk.

...but Shiv doesn't think we can pull it off.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2006, 02:49 PM   #13
RiXst3r
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin@Vishnu
I want a clown map. When the clown map is activated, a full fledged circus comes spilling out of the trunk.

Honestly, I dont see the point in this one... sounds kinda dumb to me...

A bmw is a symbol of prestige and luxury... i dont think clowns have the same reputation... Just my humble opinion.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2006, 02:56 PM   #14
NaViT
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 M3/E92 335i

Quote:

i like it but im looking more forward into strippers better...
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2006, 02:57 PM   #15
RiXst3r
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAcAvenger
I really want the valet map to make the car ridiculously slow. Is that possible? I'm talking 0-60 in the 8.5+ range w/ 16+ second quarter mile times!
Sounds like my old g35...
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2006, 03:19 PM   #16
Calvin@Vishnu
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaViT
i like it but im looking more forward into strippers better...
Stripper Map eh?? We're on it!
It'll be better than the trunk monkey button we're working on...
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2006, 03:21 PM   #17
kingbriani
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '07 Honda S2000

Quote:

you sound like a funny guy, maybe you could volunteer to hop in the trunk?? seriously though, is it unreasonable to ask for an economy map? i obviously have no experience tuning and dont know what kind of work goes into it but it seems like it would be at least fairly easy. i know creating extra maps doesnt earn vishnu tuning any money directly, but maybe it would sell more xedes?
Sport Package, Navigation, Bluetooth, Sunshade, Heated Seats, 6 mt
BBS RG-Rs
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2006, 03:51 PM   #18
Dustin Bramell
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
you sound like a funny guy, maybe you could volunteer to hop in the trunk?? seriously though, is it unreasonable to ask for an economy map? i obviously have no experience tuning and dont know what kind of work goes into it but it seems like it would be at least fairly easy. i know creating extra maps doesnt earn vishnu tuning any money directly, but maybe it would sell more xedes?
You have no idea how well I would fit in the trunk....if we ever meet some day, you will see what I mean.

To answer your question, no, its not too much to ask, but do realize the days of fuel economy being dictated by the potential for horsepower died with the carburetor. Modern EFI systems are now designed to offer the best of both worlds. Therefore, your fuel economy is almost completely dictated by the mapping of your right foot. Stay out of it, the fuel economy will be better, mash it to the floor, fuel economy will suffer. It is as simple as that. Sure, we can offer a bit more fuel economy by being slightly more aggressive with timing curves under partial throttle, but this is something that is already incorporated into our performance maps.

Moving forward, yes we will try to create other maps if we have the demand, but do keep in mind that there are certain things that we will not be able to do, and certain things that we just wont do. For instance, a 3000rpm rev limit may be a great idea, but it also may come at the expensive of a code logged in your ecu. However, without us testing that, we won't know. And how safe would it be if you were to try to overtake a car, and forgot that you were on the valet map. Making maps with lower horsepower than stock seems a little counter intuitive and dangerous to me. We are here to help everyone enhance performance and drivability, not take away from it.

Over the next month or so, we are going to have quite a few kits leaving our doors. Our number one priority is to make sure these kits do exactly what we advertised. The easiest way to do that is to minimize variables. Meaning, that we will get people started out with the performance maps, make sure everything is running great, and then move on from there.

Lastly, the clown comment was meant to be just a funny visual, sorry if was misunderstood.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2006, 04:18 PM   #19
RiXst3r
Rep

Quote:
Lastly, the clown comment was meant to be just a funny visual, sorry if was misunderstood.
DAMMIT!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2006, 04:19 PM   #20
Insider
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
You have no idea how well I would fit in the trunk....if we ever meet some day, you will see what I mean.

To answer your question, no, its not too much to ask, but do realize the days of fuel economy being dictated by the potential for horsepower died with the carburetor. Modern EFI systems are now designed to offer the best of both worlds. Therefore, your fuel economy is almost completely dictated by the mapping of your right foot. Stay out of it, the fuel economy will be better, mash it to the floor, fuel economy will suffer. It is as simple as that. Sure, we can offer a bit more fuel economy by being slightly more aggressive with timing curves under partial throttle, but this is something that is already incorporated into our performance maps.

Moving forward, yes we will try to create other maps if we have the demand, but do keep in mind that there are certain things that we will not be able to do, and certain things that we just wont do. For instance, a 3000rpm rev limit may be a great idea, but it also may come at the expensive of a code logged in your ecu. However, without us testing that, we won't know. And how safe would it be if you were to try to overtake a car, and forgot that you were on the valet map. Making maps with lower horsepower than stock seems a little counter intuitive and dangerous to me. We are here to help everyone enhance performance and drivability, not take away from it.

Over the next month or so, we are going to have quite a few kits leaving our doors. Our number one priority is to make sure these kits do exactly what we advertised. The easiest way to do that is to minimize variables. Meaning, that we will get people started out with the performance maps, make sure everything is running great, and then move on from there.

So whould a high altitude map make sense? Or would the 335i not need one?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2006, 04:34 PM   #21
Dustin Bramell
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Generally speaking, in some cases it makes sense, in others it does not. The boost control system on the 335 is adaptive. This means there is less of a need to have a special map for high altitudes. The only time when high altitude maps are completely necessary, is when the car uses absolute output boost control, like an evo for example. Absolute output cannot make large adjustments like adaptive boost control systems can. Also, it should be noted that modern cars already make changes to the mapping when they sense changes in altitude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insider
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2006, 04:36 PM   #22
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insider
Since the car is MAP (manifold absolute pressure) referenced, there is littlen need for any type of additional barometric compensations. So, nope, there really shouldn't any need for a special high altitude Xede map. Still, its something work looking into. Perhaps i'll do a dyno day in Colordo some day and see what can be done.

-shiv

ps.. damn.. that dustin beat me to it. Shouldn't you be writting your thesis or something?
Appreciate 0