E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Stage 0 Xede kit Question

11-27-2006, 09:51 PM   #1
Jason4486
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i M-Sport

Stage 0 Xede kit Question

I am looking to get the xede installed on my car when it arrives. I am incredibly impressed with the stage 0 kit (supposedly +50hp/70tq).My question is if I get this done will it affect the traction of my car? In other words,will I peel out easier when launching my car from a dead stop? If so, can I put wider tires on my car without changing rims? I know you guys are very knowledgable about this stuff,any feedback is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2006, 11:28 PM   #2
Tropicool
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 SO M3

yea u can put wider tires on and yes your car will peel out more when your launching. Depends on what setting your useing traction control on, there are 3.

Runflats arn't the best tires, the stock ones are a little narrow. might want to try and get some lighter aftermarkter wheels and stickier tires.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2006, 11:59 PM   #3
Jason4486
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i M-Sport

Well, since my car is going to be equiped with the sports package, the wheels ARE wider in the rear. Star Spoke (Styling# 189) light-alloy wheels, 18 x 8.0 front, 18x 8.5 rear; 225/40R-18 front, 255/35R-18 rear (from bmwusa.com) Would there still be a problem with the power increase even with the sports package? Is it possible to increase the rear tire width from 18x 8.5 to 18x 9?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2006, 12:21 AM   #4
Dannys M3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jaguar F Type R

Garage List
2008 M3  [10.00]
Launching with more power than what your tires can handle is an art. If you know you're going to lose traction you have to moderate your throttle until you gain momemtum. Spinning your tires does nothing but impress the fast and furious crowd.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2006, 01:09 AM   #5
GAaaAR
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i

The tires will peel out even under normal driving? If its just hard launching than who cares, you can adjust the throttle to accomodate that. Even without the xede, you can get your car to peel out, its just that it will peel out easier now when u launch. I think Shiv will be making a switch too, so you can alwyas switch it off when u dont need that power.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2006, 07:55 AM   #6
RiXst3r
Rep
Drives: M235i

thats what dsc is for...
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2006, 12:30 AM   #7
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiXst3r
thats what dsc is for...
+1. If you are really an on/off throttle kind of guy, the DSC will be your best friend in the first 2 gears. After that, traction really shouldn't be a problem at all. Upgrading tires, suspension, etc,. for the additional power is, imho, pretty unwarranted. For what it is, car is quite spectacular in the chassis/suspension/grip department. It can easily handled the added grunt. It's not like we're all driving 116hp Miatas, slapping on turbos and boosted them to 250hp. We're only talking about a 20-25% gain here. Enjoy it. It'll be fun.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2006, 03:03 AM   #8
littleyellowm3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: MR E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu
+1. If you are really an on/off throttle kind of guy, the DSC will be your best friend in the first 2 gears. After that, traction really shouldn't be a problem at all. Upgrading tires, suspension, etc,. for the additional power is, imho, pretty unwarranted. For what it is, car is quite spectacular in the chassis/suspension/grip department. It can easily handled the added grunt. It's not like we're all driving 116hp Miatas, slapping on turbos and boosted them to 250hp. We're only talking about a 20-25% gain here. Enjoy it. It'll be fun.

Shiv
shiv, i like what i am seeing with the new product. i am getting a 335i very soon. i am sort of confused on how you set the Xede up. does it hook up to a computer... where you can set what engine map you want? and set up all the other parameters? is it activated as soon as you plug it in and start the car? or is there a switch... such as on the unit itself? and can you switch maps on the fly somehow, or does it require opening up the ecu compartment and manually doing sometihng? sorry for my ignorance... its 4am and ive been working on history assignments all night.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2006, 07:46 AM   #9
sdiver68
Expert Road Racer
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e90, 09 335i e93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philritter21
shiv, i like what i am seeing with the new product. i am getting a 335i very soon. i am sort of confused on how you set the Xede up. does it hook up to a computer... where you can set what engine map you want? and set up all the other parameters? is it activated as soon as you plug it in and start the car? or is there a switch... such as on the unit itself? and can you switch maps on the fly somehow, or does it require opening up the ecu compartment and manually doing sometihng? sorry for my ignorance... its 4am and ive been working on history assignments all night.
He stated it sits on a "shelf" right near the ECU. He also stated it can hold 2 maps and is flashable to any maps that are available or custom made.

What is not obvious to me yet, despite *I think* reading all the threads is

1) Is there a cockpit mountable switch for the 2 maps?
2) Since there are 2 "maps" available, can 1 of the maps be "pass through", in other words, completely stock, and the second map be for example '92 Octane with exhaust' ? The idea being, of course, that for 95% of normal driving it runs in passs through, but for track days and of course the occassional 'Vette at the stoplight the switch gets flipped!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2006, 08:18 AM   #10
sstarch1
From Russia With Boost
Rep
Drives: E92 335i - Vroom

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdiver68
He stated it sits on a "shelf" right near the ECU. He also stated it can hold 2 maps and is flashable to any maps that are available or custom made.

What is not obvious to me yet, despite *I think* reading all the threads is

1) Is there a cockpit mountable switch for the 2 maps?
2) Since there are 2 "maps" available, can 1 of the maps be "pass through", in other words, completely stock, and the second map be for example '92 Octane with exhaust' ? The idea being, of course, that for 95% of normal driving it runs in passs through, but for track days and of course the occassional 'Vette at the stoplight the switch gets flipped!
The rumor is that it will be a switch mounted inside the ashtray.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2006, 01:29 PM   #11
littleyellowm3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: MR E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philritter21
when i say computer i literally mean a home PC.. you know... to load new maps and such.
Appreciate 0