E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > forged wheel detailing

04-21-2010, 09:55 PM   #1
DisGuy
Captain
Rep
Drives: M Three Powah

forged wheel detailing

had my Iconz for about almost a year now and finally took the time to take them off and get some new tires. wow, i was surprised on how much brake dust there is and its baked on there from the summer heat and winter cold. these are my first set of wheels and if i would have known these get like this i would of took the time to clean them more often. they are the 730z brushed alum/ with polished lip. does anyone have any suggestions on how to clean all the brake dust inside the wheels and what product to use to clean the polished lip and brushed alum center. thx
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2010, 10:57 PM   #2
shoes
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BSM E92 335i

I use P21S wheel cleaner and an EZ Detail Brush to reach the inner barrel.
For the face of the wheel I use the little sponge that came in the P21S kit. Works great.
(Another product I've been seeing lately is Sonax, but I haven't tried it.)

http://www.detailedimage.com/P21S-M1...500-ml-Kit-S1/
http://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Acce.../Full-Size-S1/

Your best bet if the wheels are really caked, is to remove the wheel from the car and get them perfect again, then maintain.
With my previous wheels, that were not maintained by the previous owner, the wheels were removed, saturated in P21S, and scrubbed - repeating until satisfied with the results - then sealed with a wheel sealant.

It's a lot easier to spend an extra few minutes maintaining them than to let them get out of hand and really have to scrub the hell out of em - but I'm sure you know that now.
      04-21-2010, 11:15 PM   #3
Sucka4BMW
Rep
Drives: car

p21s is great, but for some reason, some gunk didn't come off mine. waxing did the trick though...deoxidizing
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2010, 08:07 AM   #4
zaxjax
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 Crimson Red 335i

Garage List
2008 335i  [9.00]
PS21 is good but lately I have been using Amazing Roll-Off on badly caked on brake dust. You just need to dilute it to the proper ratio and it works great. The Diablo Wheel Gel Cleaner at full strength does a great job and smells good.
      04-22-2010, 05:23 PM   #5
DisGuy
Captain
Rep
Drives: M Three Powah

so i did some research on the 2 wheels cleaners and i think im going to try out the Sonax. just hard to find some one around the mid-atlantic area that carry them. any suggestions on where to purchase them.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 05:43 AM   #6
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

Detailers Domain - http://www.detailersdomain.com/search.aspx?find=sonax
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 03:19 PM   #7
socalsun
poor
Rep
Drives: Girl's XC90

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoes View Post
I use P21S wheel cleaner and an EZ Detail Brush to reach the inner barrel.
For the face of the wheel I use the little sponge that came in the P21S kit. Works great.
(Another product I've been seeing lately is Sonax, but I haven't tried it.)

http://www.detailedimage.com/P21S-M1...500-ml-Kit-S1/
http://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Acce.../Full-Size-S1/

Your best bet if the wheels are really caked, is to remove the wheel from the car and get them perfect again, then maintain.
With my previous wheels, that were not maintained by the previous owner, the wheels were removed, saturated in P21S, and scrubbed - repeating until satisfied with the results - then sealed with a wheel sealant.

It's a lot easier to spend an extra few minutes maintaining them than to let them get out of hand and really have to scrub the hell out of em - but I'm sure you know that now.
Great info, exactly what I needed, thanks!
Appreciate 0