E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Palmersport GT review

04-21-2010, 03:17 PM   #1
pjs
Colonel
Rep
Drives: i8

Palmersport GT review

I was lucky enough to enjoy a great afternoon yesterday courtesy of the half day Palmersport 'GT' programme. In terms of organisation, slickness & professionalism it was first class. Keeping it as brief as possible,drove 911, Clio Cup, M3 and Caterham.

Funniest moment was seeing a 911 join the track just in front of a clio at full speed towards the end of the straight, the driver of the clio having to take massive avoiding action and bouncing off accross the grass. Many drivers were quicker in the clio than the 911.

The M3 was the best drive, 7 laps of a 1.5 mile circuit. Within seconds you realise the steering, ride and handling are superb and the dct box is so, so smooth, especially after the paddle shift in the clio.

The instructors certainly encourage you to go for it, but my lack of talent was cruely exposed on many occasions, lacking smoothness and 'progressive throttle' especially. I've only had one go on a track many years ago at croft. My lap time in the M3 was 'mid table' is all i'll say.

For an extra £17 you got a 'dongle' of your time in the M3, watching it back is fantastic. For the stattos, 50-100mph takes 5.8 seconds. Check out their website to watch a flying lap.

If you thinking of doing this for business, for a present or for yourself, i'd heartily reccomend it. Enjoy the pics.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2010, 03:20 PM   #2
- Paul -
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: see above.

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [10.00]
2005 645  [9.00]
I want to see your lap!!!....
      04-21-2010, 03:35 PM   #3
SiKkBaSs
GTR'in it
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Nissan GTR Black Edition

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
"Places are available for £355 + VAT per guest."

/cry
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2010, 04:15 PM   #4
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiKkBaSs View Post
"Places are available for £355 + VAT per guest."

/cry
You'll want to add their optional insurance as well. I know someone who crashed one of the cars and if you don't have cover they will bill the person who paid for the place.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2010, 04:44 PM   #5
SiKkBaSs
GTR'in it
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS View Post
You'll want to add their optional insurance as well. I know someone who crashed one of the cars and if you don't have cover they will bill the person who paid for the place.
What a load of tosh!!

Who pays for this s***???!!!

Having to worry about paying for the event, then insurance as well. It's cheaper to go to the facking 'Ring!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2010, 03:25 PM   #6
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Paul, how much was this event all in? PM if you prefer.

I would like to take the 911's around a track as it would be rather enjoyable as an understatement! Could of done it in the 997 Turbo but didn't fancy using mine around a track, tyres - ahem! Mind you least you can just turn up and do it without voiding any warranties and the car will do exactly what it's supposed to do.........did I just say that.

Might get a stab around Cadwell, but that would be in mainstream cars ie. Audi's. Rather drive the Porsches, purpose built etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2010, 03:27 PM   #7
SiKkBaSs
GTR'in it
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post

I would like to take the 911's around a track as it would be rather enjoyable as an understatement! Could of done it in the 997 Turbo but didn't fancy using mine around a track, tyres - ahem! Mind you least you can just turn up and do it without voiding any warranties and the car will do exactly what it's supposed to do.........did I just say that.

Might get a stab around Cadwell, but that would be in mainstream cars ie. Audi's. Rather drive the Porsches, purpose built etc.
What tyres was your Porsche sitting on and how much was a tyre?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2010, 03:47 PM   #8
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
What tyres was your Porsche sitting on and how much was a tyre?
Fronts: 235/35 ZR 19
Rears : 305/30 ZR 19.

I only ever had a set of rears fitted which lasted about 5k miles. £285 per tyre fitted, balanced and ensuring the TPM sytem worked correctly at OPC. KwikFit were about £278 per tyre fitted and balanced.

That was for Pirelli P Zero Rossos - VERY 'sticky' tyre.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2010, 03:54 PM   #9
SiKkBaSs
GTR'in it
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Fronts: 235/35 ZR 19
Rears : 305/30 ZR 19.

I only ever had a set of rears fitted which lasted about 5k miles. £285 per tyre fitted, balanced and ensuring the TPM sytem worked correctly at OPC. KwikFit were about £278 per tyre fitted and balanced.

That was for Pirelli P Zero Rossos - VERY 'sticky' tyre.
Eek...I would of still just bit the bullet and taken her on the track and not have to worry about anything. That's kinda cool, active encouragement of track use
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2010, 04:28 PM   #10
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
What a load of tosh!!

Having to worry about paying for the event, then insurance as well. It's cheaper to go to the facking 'Ring!
It's aimed at the corporate hospitality market.

It's a cracking day out. But expensive if you actually pay yourself.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2010, 06:11 AM   #11
pjs
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
What a load of tosh!!

Who pays for it?, mainly businesses entertianing cleints. There were also a few a met having it as a birthday present. It might be cheaper to go to the ring in a small diesel hatchback, get a cheap ferry and then watch the action.

Quote:

Pricing is no secret, its on there website, just under £400 per head. If you just wanted to drive the 911's you'd be dissapointed at the amount of track time though. Incidentally, many people, myself included, were quicker in the clios then the 911 on the samw circuit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS View Post
It's aimed at the corporate hospitality market.

It's a cracking day out. But expensive if you actually pay yourself.
Spot on
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2010, 01:32 PM   #12
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjs View Post
Pricing is no secret, its on there website, just under £400 per head. If you just wanted to drive the 911's you'd be dissapointed at the amount of track time though. Incidentally, many people, myself included, were quicker in the clios then the 911 on the samw circuit!
I managed to go quicker in the 911

Couldnt get over the contrast with the clio, which you grabbed by the scruff of the neck and forced it around the corners. Had to show the 911 much more respect with fluid driving and progressive power.

Think I had more fun in the clio, but was more rewarded by the 911 if that makes sense.
      04-25-2010, 01:44 PM   #13
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjs View Post
Fair enough and each track suits different cars, but it's the whole experience of driving the 911's. Hard to explain. Mainstream cars you can get in and pretty much drive and rag about. Porsche's take time behind the wheel before it all makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMP View Post
I managed to go quicker in the 911

Couldnt get over the contrast with the clio, which you grabbed by the scruff of the neck and forced it around the corners. Had to show the 911 much more respect with fluid driving and progressive power.

Think I had more fun in the clio, but was more rewarded by the 911 if that makes sense.
Hey Tim - nice one.

I believe you've hit the nail on the head there with your comparison between the Clios (I call them something else lol) and the 911's.

Fluid driving is the key to fully appreciate the 911's and the Cayman S for example. In my humble opinion they are those rare cars that 'teach you' things almost on a daily basis and a few laps around a track doesn't necessarily provide the whole picture and experience.

Go with the Porsche and it will reward you, it's like a leap of faith almost, the car will do what you ask of it. I wonder if it takes time to adapt to this type of car because in all honesty, the vast majority of us are and have been used to driving cars that are different if we're honest ie. not single minded like the Porsche.

I've never felt as 'at one' with a car before owning either Porsche. A feeling normally the preserve of riding a motorbike tbh.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2010, 03:31 PM   #14
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

I found that the main issue with the 911's was to understand weight shifting.

The feeling of the rear loading up under acceleration and the back end going light under braking is more pronounced than with any other car I've driven. You need to be very aware of that front / rear balance when cornering.

The first time I drove them I was terrible. Last time I got a really fast time.

Ps - I also span at about 90mph .... lol
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 02:50 AM   #15
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Looked like a great day Paul, are those the M3s Evolve worked on?
      04-28-2010, 05:07 AM   #16
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Yeah, the 911 is an awesome car and I am sure I only tapped small part of the potential. Would really like drive one on a normal road as well.

The biggest thing that puts me off the 911 is the stigma (dont want to stereotype, and Helen excluded) but most people I see driving them are c@cks and drivng them like c@cks.

I guy near me, has a Carerra 4s 'vert. Drives way to fast in 30 (overtook my wife), uses his phone without a handsfree and to top it all off has just put a cheapo private plate with mis-alligned spacing
      04-28-2010, 05:18 AM   #17
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMP View Post
Yeah, the 911 is an awesome car and I am sure I only tapped small part of the potential. Would really like drive one on a normal road as well.

The biggest thing that puts me off the 911 is the stigma (dont want to stereotype, and Helen excluded) but most people I see driving them are c@cks and drivng them like c@cks.

I guy near me, has a Carerra 4s 'vert. Drives way to fast in 30 (overtook my wife), uses his phone without a handsfree and to top it all off has just put a cheapo private plate with mis-alligned spacing
Bit like some BMW drivers then
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 05:55 AM   #18
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy coupe View Post
Bit like some BMW drivers then
Lol, clownage BMW drivers yeah
      04-28-2010, 02:52 PM   #19
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Tim - I'd love the opportunity to be a cock again.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 02:54 PM   #20
themetz
smokin' kipper
England
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5

nice write up - looks like a great (half) day
      04-28-2010, 03:31 PM   #21
pjs
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by willhollin View Post
Looked like a great day Paul, are those the M3s Evolve worked on?
Quote:
Originally Posted by themetz View Post
nice write up - looks like a great (half) day
It was Will, and yes I guess they were

Cheers Metz
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 03:44 PM   #22
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Tim - I'd love the opportunity to be a cock again.
I did say excluding you

But you know what I mean, there are just some people who shouldnt be aloud to drive as they give the car they drive a bad rep.