E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > So Mad I could sream!

03-30-2010, 07:42 PM   #1
Mutter18
Private
Rep
Drives: M3, X6 5.0, 335i

So Mad I could sream!

Ok took my 335i in for an oil change today. Less than two weeks ago I spent 6 hours doing a paint correction on the car and it looked Great. Take the car in and it's clean few bit's of dirt on the trunk. so I really didn't think they would wash it so I didn't say anything. BIG Mistake! Go to pick up my can and what the hell ! I think they used sand paper to wash it. I go in and tell the service manager the problem he come out and looks at it and says, get this they hand wash it with a brush! He agree's with me and says he will get it detailed next time I come in, I'm thinking to myself like hell you will!!! Now I have to take my X5 to the same dealer on Wed. I already told him don't detail a damm thing on it as I just spent two days doing the paint. Gee can't wait to spend my Saturday fixing the paint again on my 335.....
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 09:12 PM   #2
stimpy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Same issue here. I spent 3 days doing a full stage 2 correction, 24 hours of jet seal cure time (2x12), 3 coats of wax, etc...

I took my car in and had my mind on work as I got a call on the way there so I was in a hurry to get inside and plugged in... The fuckers washed it.

Are you kidding me? Look at the thing! The car looked absolutely FLAWLESS.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 10:22 PM   #3
FUTBiM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E93 SG SP

I always ask myself how the ..... can they do such terrible washing darn it ain't rocket science... i would expect that from a Kia dealer (which you would have to pay for the carwash) but bmw.... man...
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 10:30 PM   #4
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
Just took mine in for service. Hoping NOT to have a similar experience I printed two 8" x 11" sheets and placed one on the passenger seat and one on the dash facing out the windshield stating:

"PLEASE DO NOT WASH CAR"

Both the SA and service manager looked the car over and saw the signs so we will see what the vehicle looks like when I pick it up tomorrow.
I do the same. My SA knows I don't want my cars washed there, but I still drop a note inside the car for the Techs.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 10:34 PM   #5
stimpy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
Just took mine in for service. Hoping NOT to have a similar experience I printed two 8" x 11" sheets and placed one on the passenger seat and one on the dash facing out the windshield stating:

"PLEASE DO NOT WASH CAR"

Both the SA and service manager looked the car over and saw the signs so we will see what the vehicle looks like when I pick it up tomorrow.
I've done this everytime but the last time I got hosed - you will be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUTBiM View Post
I always ask myself how the ..... can they do such terrible washing darn it ain't rocket science... i would expect that from a Kia dealer (which you would have to pay for the carwash) but bmw.... man...
It's amazingly easy to do. Just for testing purposes I used a Autozone Microfiber to dry half a panel and with just about every stroke under halogens I could see it leave scratch/swirl marks.

Bottomline, to do even the simplest thing like washing/drying your car, it takes time and the right products ($$$), neither of which BMW cares about when it comes to washing your car.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 12:29 AM   #6
EpicE90
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 f150

DAMN!!! You must be really mad if you can SREAM!!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 06:51 AM   #7
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpy View Post
I've done this everytime but the last time I got hosed - you will be fine.

It's amazingly easy to do. Just for testing purposes I used a Autozone Microfiber to dry half a panel and with just about every stroke under halogens I could see it leave scratch/swirl marks.

Bottomline, to do even the simplest thing like washing/drying your car, it takes time and the right products ($$$), neither of which BMW cares about when it comes to washing your car.
+1, dealerships push through over 30 cars a day, to think that each one would get a soft touch handwash is out of the question. The OP wouldn't get his car for another 2-3 days and then bitch about how long it took.

Just ask for "no wash" and hope they don't wash it. This really isn't a big deal so stop being so OC.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 08:48 AM   #8
Raz335
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 Convertible

Unless you specifically tell them not to wash it, they will do it every single time. From the first time I brought my car in, I leave the "Please Do Not Wash" signs in the windshield and on the passenger seat. I also tell my SA to write "do not wash" on the service sheet.

Jerez Black/Fox E93 M3 - Prem 2/Cold/Conv/DCT/EDC/19's/Ext Lthr/Crbn Trim/Enhanced Sound/Sat
Mods- 20" BBS LM's DBK/Challenge Catback/Eibachs/Trim wrapped black/Lux Angel eyes/35% Tint
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2010, 05:11 PM   #9
TiAg335i
Trance Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

I used to ask my SA not to wash the car. But I honestly don't care anymore.

With TiAg, there is zero chance of you seeing any scratches in the paint unless you have perfect lighting conditions and are actually looking for scratches.

Not worth it if you have TiAg IMO. Get the free wash.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2010, 05:56 PM   #10
fisherbln
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Had my car in the other day just a day after I detailed my car. Didn't really think they would wash it considering it was completely clean, but they did! Luckily I hadn't spent more than 2 hours as I wasn't doing a full correction. I'll be certain to ask for no wash on my future visits though.

They left water spots all over my mirrors and rear window, so that is the most annoying part. I haven't removed the swirls from my car yet as I just got it last week. I'm sure they added a few, but they're not noticeable with all the others that were already there.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2010, 05:58 PM   #11
chemgeek
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 335/white-saddle/msport

Have them mark DO NOT wash in your records on the computer system in case you forget. My work orders actually print with DO NOT WASH in bold on them.

Like this: @@@@@@@DO NOT WASH@@@@@@@

My buddy is my Tech, so I am not all that worried about it because I know he will not let them wash it.

Might I suggest that people wash their car before taking it in for service? Moving loose dirt around on the paint causes scratches, even if a tech slightly rubs against the paint. Further, if they put the protection covers on a dirty car, hello swirls and micro scratches.
      04-01-2010, 09:58 PM   #12
fisherbln
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgeek View Post
Might I suggest that people wash their car before taking it in for service? Moving loose dirt around on the paint causes scratches, even if a tech slightly rubs against the paint. Further, if they put the protection covers on a dirty car, hello swirls and micro scratches.
Very good suggestion, I had actually never thought of this.
Appreciate 0