E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Mi Bmw dealer Con ?

03-27-2010, 01:22 PM   #1
fender
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i

Mi Bmw dealer Con ?

hey everyone ,

Well thanks to the massive Hpfp and injector threads here , everyone knows about those common failures to some members running the 335i ,

Ive been to a dealership to test drive that car , this is how the salesman responded to my question :

" Aw no there were no such failures Ever "
" no one ever returned to fix a pump "
"it works like magic "

and i had to speak to the service manager who confessed right away .

Thumbs up for everyone here .
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2010, 01:24 PM   #2
TheRox
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 6mt

ROFLMAO

car salesmen.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2010, 01:26 PM   #3
hjernazian
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

what a piece of shit. that really pisses me off.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2010, 03:00 PM   #4
Rome
:))))))
Germany
Rep
Drives: reckless

hahahahhaahhahahahaahaha, well look at it this way, you talk to the manager of the place let him know how he tried to swindle you, im sure ull get a nice discount
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2010, 03:23 PM   #5
fender
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thats exactly what ill do !
i mean , lets say i dont know what a forum is ,
and i asked a direct question , and the salesman lies right to my face , about an issue that can make the car break down the side of the road !
thats a forum for you hehe !
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2010, 03:38 PM   #6
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

I think salesmen are pretty sleezy but giving this sales guy the benefit of the doubt they do not have anything to do with the service department. Their entire focus is on the sales transaction and a good salesman may have no knowledge of the issues that plague a car. If you asked some one from the service department the same questions you would have likely got a very different response.

As an informed consumer I never listen to anything any sales person says to me ever. I usually tell them to not bother trying to tell me about the vehicle because by the time I look at a car I know more than they do. I bought my E90 from Carmax and the sales guy simply said " I honestly don't know anything about this car". I did which was all that matters.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2010, 03:54 PM   #7
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

Yeah, salesmen have no knowledge of what's going on in the service department. And if they did know, they would obviously try to downplay the issue because their goal is to make a sale. People aren't going to buy a car if he says yeah, the HPFP is going to die on you several times.

As someone stated above, I know more about the car than the salesman when I am shopping. They really serve no purpose to me other than to get the keys to test drive and work on the paperwork. I could care less what they say about the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2010, 04:06 PM   #8
vgtek
Cobra Kai
Rep
Drives: E92 335

what dealership was it?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2010, 04:17 PM   #9
dimabimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP 6MT

When you walk into BMW dealership showroom, the first question you should ask a sales person is,- "Do you know e90post forum?".

...most and all sales people in showrooms don't know any more about the cars they sell, not more than they would learn from brochure... sometimes even less than that.
      03-27-2010, 04:26 PM   #10
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTECaddict View Post
Yeah, salesmen have no knowledge of what's going on in the service department. And if they did know, they would obviously try to downplay the issue because their goal is to make a sale. People aren't going to buy a car if he says yeah, the HPFP is going to die on you several times.

As someone stated above, I know more about the car than the salesman when I am shopping. They really serve no purpose to me other than to get the keys to test drive and work on the paperwork. I could care less what they say about the car.
Pretty much this.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2010, 04:44 PM   #11
fender
Enlisted Member
Rep

Well reading alot about this car here has certainly placed me in a position where i know alot more about the car than both the salesman and the service manager lol , he was a nice guy though ,
didnt know the pumps were bosch and then shifted to continental ,
He did say that they shipped back the whole HPFP inventory to germany .

Thing is that salesman knew about it , anyhow .

im gonna buy it anyway i dont care , i liked the 300lb torque
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2010, 10:25 PM   #12
Oulixes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 330xi, 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fender View Post
hey everyone ,

Well thanks to the massive Hpfp and injector threads here , everyone knows about those common failures to some members running the 335i ,

Ive been to a dealership to test drive that car , this is how the salesman responded to my question :

" Aw no there were no such failures Ever "
" no one ever returned to fix a pump "
"it works like magic "

and i had to speak to the service manager who confessed right away .

Thumbs up for everyone here .
'Glad you've found information here useful. As most of us have experienced, salesmen have vested interest, and some of them find it a greater burden than others. The selling at a different level has yielded the official line that "very low percentage of cars experience problems," which is then interpreted in a created manner by sales people at dealerships. Usually, people who deal with technical problems of cars, and those who have insight into technology, are more realistic. I am glad that you have not been discouraged by the HP pump epics posted on the forum and decided to buy the car. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2010, 11:36 PM   #13
Nk235
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

I think the excuse that the salespeople don't know about the details of the car because they are in sales and not in the service dept is very very poor. I sell high end medical devices to the operating room (which I know is a whole diff ball game then car sales) but if a surgeon asks me a question about a device as the patient is laying on the table I better know every detail of my product and would never lie about the performance just to make a sale. Again I know I am stretching the comparison a great deal as with mine a person's life can be at risk BUT I still think there is no excuse for a car salesman not to know about one of the most common problems that have affected thousands of consumers on the car that they sell.

I mean give me a break - these people are present in the dealerships for 8-10 hours a day 4-6 days per week, every single week. Even if they don't do their own research on the product they are responsible for knowing - chances are they will hear multiple times from customers who have experienced this problem or from other people at the dealership.

And as to the excuse that they are trying to make a sale and therefore cannot tell the truth is also bullshit. My salesperson completely lied to me just as the original poster was lied to. I specifically asked him if there were any known reliability issues and he said no none what so ever. After my car had a hpfp replacement the 2nd day of me owning it believe me I gave the asshole a piece of my mind after I found out from the service advisor the sales person absolutely did know about the issue because he was just discussing it with another customer. If he had simply said to me something along the lines of "there has been some problems with the HPFP but BMW has stepped up and extended the warranty and that it is an easy replacement" - I would have still bought the car and would have liked him and be ten times more willing to refer him to family and friends after the sale. But instead I will never do business with that dealership again.

Anyway sorry for the long rant but I am in sales and you can obviously tell I am very passionate about my work. I agree that there are a lot of scummy car salesman and scummy salesman in general but when they do things like this it just makes everyone is sales look bad so it pissed me off.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2010, 12:33 AM   #14
fender
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thank you Sir , my thoughts exactly , sorry about your experience
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2010, 10:02 AM   #15
Bulldog 6
The Logistician
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 230i M-Sport

Garage List
2007 328i E90  [0.00]
Honestly there are a lot of SA that don't know the cars...he/she may not know.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2010, 10:06 AM   #16
rault18
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

it sounds just like every other dealership

i think its not the sales man to be blamed 100 percent..but the consumer as well. DO YOUR HOMEWORK before u buy a car.. just google .. lets say "bmw 335 common issues" ull get a world of info

I agree with the OP..its really good to have forums...but its more important to educate ourselves
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2010, 10:20 AM   #17
mbhforum
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 328xi Sedan

Quote:

+1

Well said. Salesman love people like us b/c when we arrive the dealership, they don't have to sell us the car against another model as we've already decided on our own. We just get right down to the price negotiations. We are easy sales for them.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2010, 11:07 AM   #18
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nk235 View Post
I think the excuse that the salespeople don't know about the details of the car because they are in sales and not in the service dept is very very poor. I sell high end medical devices to the operating room (which I know is a whole diff ball game then car sales) but if a surgeon asks me a question about a device as the patient is laying on the table I better know every detail of my product and would never lie about the performance just to make a sale. Again I know I am stretching the comparison a great deal as with mine a person's life can be at risk BUT I still think there is no excuse for a car salesman not to know about one of the most common problems that have affected thousands of consumers on the car that they sell.

I mean give me a break - these people are present in the dealerships for 8-10 hours a day 4-6 days per week, every single week. Even if they don't do their own research on the product they are responsible for knowing - chances are they will hear multiple times from customers who have experienced this problem or from other people at the dealership.

And as to the excuse that they are trying to make a sale and therefore cannot tell the truth is also bullshit. My salesperson completely lied to me just as the original poster was lied to. I specifically asked him if there were any known reliability issues and he said no none what so ever. After my car had a hpfp replacement the 2nd day of me owning it believe me I gave the asshole a piece of my mind after I found out from the service advisor the sales person absolutely did know about the issue because he was just discussing it with another customer. If he had simply said to me something along the lines of "there has been some problems with the HPFP but BMW has stepped up and extended the warranty and that it is an easy replacement" - I would have still bought the car and would have liked him and be ten times more willing to refer him to family and friends after the sale. But instead I will never do business with that dealership again.

Anyway sorry for the long rant but I am in sales and you can obviously tell I am very passionate about my work. I agree that there are a lot of scummy car salesman and scummy salesman in general but when they do things like this it just makes everyone is sales look bad so it pissed me off.
Just my opinion, but I would think that someone selling pharmaceuticals, medical equipment, MRI imaging equipment, turbine replacement parts, these are all very expensive sales, sometimes tens of millions of $$$, and require a relationship with the buyer(s). A car sale is a one-time get my commission and see you later type of deal. It doesn't mean that it's justified, the way that car salespeople move their product. But one can imagine why they do what they do. They have to feed their families too and what are their alternatives in the job world to do so? That's why I am in no hurry to go buy a car, I prefer to minimize my contact with car sales. So far, it's been 12 years on the Nissan, and 3 on the BMW.

Have to admit I did drive the new 750li for a $100 gift card, and a Touareg V8 for Bourne tickets. Was it worth it? Not really, but in each case, the salespeople did not take any personal info from me because they knew I was not really interested in buying anything. Come to think of it, I got $50 on a Miata, and $50 on a Ford Taurus. Again, did not have to even tell them my home phone# as I was just there for the freebie.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2010, 12:54 PM   #19
///Mik3
gonna miss the M, but the wagon is sweet!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i Wagon

Garage List
OT, but for some reason i thought your thread title was some sort of jumbled Spanish, lol
      03-28-2010, 02:40 PM   #20
AppleEater
Soldier
Rep

Wow I would never buy from that guy, no commision for him. Usually the salesmen will tell you about it, and then follow with why the warranty covers 10 years now
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2010, 05:44 PM   #21
fender
Enlisted Member
Rep

i know everything about it now , ill just use it for the bargain
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2010, 05:48 PM   #22
Marcus-SanDiego
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 X5 4.8i (E70)

Quote:
Yeah, salesmen have no knowledge of what's going on in the service department.
Yes. I call it willful ignorance. They don't want to know. However, we should all impute such knowledge to them nonetheless. It's unreasonable to think that sales people haven't heard anything about the HPFP issues.