E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Question about "tracked" cars

03-26-2010, 04:46 PM   #1
JRJ1970
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i F32

Question about "tracked" cars

Odd question here, hopefully I'm in the right forum, but I'm intrigued to know the answer:

I recall a discussion between two guys at my BMW dealership regarding used BMWs on the lot. One of them said, "I don't want a car that has been "tracked." The other replied, "You can always tell a car has been "tracked" if there are dimples in the roof and/or hood."

Huh?!? Why is this?
      03-26-2010, 04:48 PM   #2
BoostedCosta
SUPERMAN
Rep
Drives: AW e90 335i M-Sport

wtf? never heard of that
      03-26-2010, 05:03 PM   #3
BoostedCosta
SUPERMAN
Rep
Drives: AW e90 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
Sounds like two guys on crack to me.
or the salesmen pulled that out of his ass and the customer had nothing to say since he thought he was right? lol
      03-26-2010, 05:15 PM   #4
Outlaw 06
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i (daily driver)

ZSP, 6MT, RWD, BMW 3-Series cars are meant to be tracked occasionally.

Last edited by Outlaw 06; 03-26-2010 at 05:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2010, 07:30 PM   #5
Gesler
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

Never been to the track personally, but he probably meant damage to the hood and roof similar to rock chips. I gather some people occasionally put a type of tape over the hood etc to minimize this.
      03-26-2010, 07:47 PM   #6
runrider
I pretend to be smart.
Rep
Drives: '06 325i 6MT 39k

He was talking about 'speed holes'.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2010, 07:51 PM   #7
noro
Colonel
Armenia
Rep
Drives: '91 M3, '04 E46 ZHP, '72 2002

Nope, no crack... it is real. Under heavy loads the forces will travel from shock towers all the way to the pillars and deform the top end enough to start bending the roof metal. I have seen a few E30 M3 when I was looking for mine to have this problem.

It is a real issue.
      03-26-2010, 08:08 PM   #8
///Mik3
gonna miss the M, but the wagon is sweet!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i Wagon

Garage List
uh, to say that you can always tell by this, is definitely wrong. Just because i car doesn't have a warped hood or roof, doesn't mean it hasn't been tracked.
      03-26-2010, 08:30 PM   #9
335e92tx
ahat
Rep
Drives: Was '07-335e92 - Now '13-335IS

spent 8 twenty min sessions on a local 2.9 mile 15 turn track and I have no dimples. And I certainly was driving - only got passed 1 by a z06 and passed him back in the next turn.

'13 335IS N54 (1 of 373 LeMans Blue out of 3597 total production e92)- Grey interior (1 of 24 in LMB with any trans- 1 of 14 with DCT)-MODS -MFactory LSD/MHD-BQ custom Tune/ATM-IC/AFE Momentum GT Intake/Konis/Mfront&HeimJoint Rear rods&arms/Brembos.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Lo6aHZRo7XqtPkhL8
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2010, 08:58 PM   #10
AlanL
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 328ix Sports Wagon

I find the comment about the dimples ludicrous but at the same time a heavily tracked car is no prize.

Over the course of 8 years I had 3 different cars that saw track use far above and beyond normal - 90+ events. They were a 2001 Audi S4, a 2004 Audi S4 Avant, and a 2005 Honda S2000. When I sent each of these out to pasture they looked remarkable - no overt signs of wear whatever and I am highly meticulous about how I detail my cars.

From a wear and tear perspective you couldn't give me any of them after the wear I subjected them to out on the track. 100 miles on the track is probably the equivalent of 2000 miles on the streets or more (possibly a lot more) in terms of the impact on the car's life. The stresses of smacking the suspension as you hit the FIAA curbing for the sweet spot in a turn at full throttle equals a thousand potholes in daily driving. Repeat that for 100+ laps at a typical track day and then think about it's effect on the suspension's lifespan.

I was in denial of the wear factor for many years while I did this as my primary hobby but in retrospect I have to admit I sent away cars with far more rattles and suspension/steering wear than you might ever suspect from the miles on the odometer.

Track driving is a lot of fun but make no mistake - your street car was not designed to do a lot of this.
      03-26-2010, 10:01 PM   #11
runrider
I pretend to be smart.
Rep
Drives: '06 325i 6MT 39k

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanL View Post
I find the comment about the dimples ludicrous but at the same time a heavily tracked car is no prize.

Over the course of 8 years I had 3 different cars that saw track use far above and beyond normal - 90+ events. They were a 2001 Audi S4, a 2004 Audi S4 Avant, and a 2005 Honda S2000. When I sent each of these out to pasture they looked remarkable - no overt signs of wear whatever and I am highly meticulous about how I detail my cars.

From a wear and tear perspective you couldn't give me any of them after the wear I subjected them to out on the track. 100 miles on the track is probably the equivalent of 2000 miles on the streets or more (possibly a lot more) in terms of the impact on the car's life. The stresses of smacking the suspension as you hit the FIAA curbing for the sweet spot in a turn at full throttle equals a thousand potholes in daily driving. Repeat that for 100+ laps at a typical track day and then think about it's effect on the suspension's lifespan.

I was in denial of the wear factor for many years while I did this as my primary hobby but in retrospect I have to admit I sent away cars with far more rattles and suspension/steering wear than you might ever suspect from the miles on the odometer.

Track driving is a lot of fun but make no mistake - your street car was not designed to do a lot of this.

That must be why all of my parents' Ford minivans drive so poorly.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2010, 10:07 PM   #12
BMW4Life66
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i Monaco Blue

dam thats weird i have like a dimple dent in my roof, never gone to the track but go canyoning sometimes.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2010, 10:17 PM   #13
noro
Colonel
Armenia
Rep
Drives: '91 M3, '04 E46 ZHP, '72 2002

I should add that this happens after the car spends CONSIDERABLE amount of track time using high grip (slick) tires. It shouldn't happen to you at driving school with your average street tires. Also the problem affects older cars with less reinforcement.
      03-26-2010, 10:18 PM   #14
Mnut
Germanized
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

dimples in the roof and/or hood ..lol
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2010, 10:35 PM   #15
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Quote:

We used to say that a perfectly designed race car breaks down right after it crosses the finish line. If it breaks down before that it was underderdesigned and if it does not break down it was overdesigned.

I personally would not use my street car as a track car. I am far too anal about keeping my car in perfect condition to subject it to a track. You can buy dedicated track cars with proper racing seats, roll cages and 5 point harnesses for very reassonable prices. But I do see some very expensive Porsches, Ferraris, etc. being driven very hard at the track so obviously not everyone things the same way I do.
CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2010, 11:18 PM   #16
AlanL
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 328ix Sports Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
We used to say that a perfectly designed race car breaks down right after it crosses the finish line. If it breaks down before that it was underderdesigned and if it does not break down it was overdesigned.

I personally would not use my street car as a track car. I am far too anal about keeping my car in perfect condition to subject it to a track. You can buy dedicated track cars with proper racing seats, roll cages and 5 point harnesses for very reassonable prices. But I do see some very expensive Porsches, Ferraris, etc. being driven very hard at the track so obviously not everyone things the same way I do.
CA
Ding ding - we have someone with a clue on board
      03-27-2010, 10:00 AM   #17
Outlaw 06
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I personally would not use my street car as a track car. I am far too anal about keeping my car in perfect condition to subject it to a track. You can buy dedicated track cars with proper racing seats, roll cages and 5 point harnesses for very reassonable prices. But I do see some very expensive Porsches, Ferraris, etc. being driven very hard at the track so obviously not everyone things the same way I do. CA
I understand what you're saying about "dedicated track cars", but I doubt that driving hard in a couple of HPDEs a year is detrimental to a properly maintained (and optioned) performance car. There's simply no other safe and legal way to determine our cars' limits without tracking them occasionally. This is especially true for ///M cars.
      03-27-2010, 10:14 AM   #18
captainaudio
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDiCandido View Post
I understand what you're saying about "dedicated track cars", but I doubt that driving hard in a couple of HPDEs a year is detrimental to a properly maintained (and optioned) performance car. There's simply no other safe and legal way to determine our cars' limits without tracking them occasionally. This is especially true for ///M cars.
I agree. Nothing wrong with learning the cars limits and the track is the place to do that. Might even be good for the car to wring it out occaisionally. Just be aware that a street car is not a race car.

I also have a personal rule:

"Never track a car that you can not afford to destroy"

(Don't ask me how I know this)

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2010, 10:33 AM   #19
Outlaw 06
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
..."Never track a car that you can not afford to destroy"...
Sage advice indeed...

I'll be putting it to the test with my M3 at Lime Rock HPDEs on May 1st (BMWCCA) and June 14th (SCDA) this year.

Last edited by Outlaw 06; 03-27-2010 at 01:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2010, 10:41 AM   #20
Kiemyster
Bimmerpost Resident Marijuana Consultant
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 320i, 325xi, 335Xi, 335i, M3

Garage List
Quote:
"Never track a car that you can not afford to destroy"
CA
this
Quote:
We used to say that a perfectly designed race car breaks down right after it crosses the finish line. If it breaks down before that it was underderdesigned and if it does not break down it was overdesigned.CA
this
Quote:

and this
      03-27-2010, 11:30 AM   #21
Kraven
Rep
Drives: Looking at BMW

Quote:
Ding ding - we have someone with a clue on board
Agreed...AlanL, thanks for a concise, informative and useful post. My grandfather used to say he would never buy a used car because he didn't think it made sense to buy another man's problems... I understand not everyone can afford a new BMW, however you don't need to buy a used higher end auto if you aren't fortunate enough to be able to afford a new one...there are other more affordable options from other makers. I bought a used car once and the turbo went out within a few months and cost me $1,100 to fix. I also bought a dealer exec car with 6K miles on it and that car lasted me over 10 years, only sold it to upgrade with 120K miles on the clock.

An age old problem is that many people, usually youth but not always, don't understand the concept of deferred gratification...
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2010, 04:46 PM   #22
captainaudio
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDiCandido View Post
Sage advice indeed...

I'll be putting it to the test with my M3 at Lime Rock HPDEs on May 1st (BMWCCA) and June 14th (SCDA) this year.
I may see you there. I will very likely be at LRP on May 1st.

CA

Appreciate 0