E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > New Key Fob(s) do not work!

03-25-2010, 03:07 PM   #1
crazya_22
Q
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

New Key Fob(s) do not work!

I recently lost my keys.....again. I ordered 2 new keys from BMW NA, they arrived yesterday but the car will not recognize the new keys. The SA says that they need an old key to start the car and program the new key. However since this is my second go round with losing my keys, I know that this is not the case, and he is a jackass that doesnt know shit.

The mechanic on the other hand does. He has replaced a lot of stuff (including turbos) on my car and always has my back.

The mechanic, Joe, thinks that it may be an issue with the CAS (Car Access System) already having too many keys stored on it and people not releasing (deleting) them when a new key is programmed, rather just blocking them.
These are key #'s 5 and 6 for my car, is it possible that BMW only allowed 4 programmable slots for keys? I believe I read that there were 10.

Joe is confident that (IF) he can get the car to start, he can release the old keys and open slots to program the new ones. However, he cannot start it and the first suggestion BMWNA gave him did not work. Does anyone know how to bypass the need for a key (legally) and allow for reprogramming of the keys. If I cannot find a way to get it done, it looks like I will be buying a new CAS, or at least arguing that it was the dealerships fault for being lazy and not releasing the previous keys, rather simply blocking them.

In summation I guess I have 4 Questions.

1)Can a key be programmed without the car being started?
2)Does anyone know how to start a car without the key?
3)How many key slots does an e90 CAS have?
4) How much is a new CAS?

Has anyone head of a situation like this before? Please help!

Last edited by crazya_22; 03-25-2010 at 03:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2010, 04:14 PM   #2
crazya_22
Q
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Anybody?