ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-25-2010, 01:04 AM   #1
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Revisiting solid Fcab interest.

*Update* see post #8

Because of the limited amount of sidewall on the bushing due to the offset design it looks like delrin isn't going to work. We have two options CNC an entire assembly at substantial cost, or machine two pieces joined with a weld at half the cost. The welding would be done by a highly certified welder who welds for nasa.

I need input on this. For the 1 piece design I would have to at least 5-10 people ahead of time. So I need input on which design to pursue.

I had made a thread before for interest of a replacement housing, but that fell through unfortunately. I'm now in the process of making a delrin piece. This was not my first choice, but it is the most cost effective. There are downsides to most of the delrin bushings out there that I hope to overcome (mainly the noisiness from the binding and unbinding) during arm rotation.

If I sell these I plan to sell them ready to go in housings, just pop them on the arm and bolt them in.

Price range will still be 200-300 for a set because of the extremely low volume.

For those that don't know, there aren't any options for us in terms of FCABs, our bushings are unique to our car in terms of size and the fact they are offset.

The only options revolve around changing to a centered bushing which results in loss of handling and caster.

What is an FCAB? The FCAB is what transmits the braking force of the front wheels into the chassis. Essentially when you brake, the force of the front wheels gripping is applied into this bushings (laterally toward the center). The location of the control arm in this bushing also sets caster (laterally toward the outside = more caster) This bushing is also responsible for force distribution from the front wheels during cornering.

Stiffening this bushings results in more precise control in both braking and cornering as well as longer life.

Last edited by O-cha; 04-15-2010 at 02:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2010, 12:15 PM   #2
hansaysso
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC, 93 RX7 FD3S

interested...again.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2010, 12:50 AM   #3
RussRamz
M Slut
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe Mineral White

Interested too! Do you have a CNC machine to make these or are you just renting time on one?

David Brent
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2010, 01:02 AM   #4
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussRamz View Post
Interested too! Do you have a CNC machine to make these or are you just renting time on one?
Working with a machine shop.
      04-08-2010, 09:00 PM   #5
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Wanted to let you guys know have some progress on this, definitely going to get at least one set made for myself. Hopefully have some solid info for you in the next couple weeks.
      04-08-2010, 10:04 PM   #6
RussRamz
M Slut
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe Mineral White

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
Wanted to let you guys know have some progress on this, definitely going to get at least one set made for myself. Hopefully have some solid info for you in the next couple weeks.
Are you planning on doing any personal testing, or is this something those of us interested in the FCABs could possible do as well. I am definitely interested in a set.

David Brent
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2010, 10:52 PM   #7
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussRamz View Post
Are you planning on doing any personal testing, or is this something those of us interested in the FCABs could possible do as well. I am definitely interested in a set.
I will be testing them personally on track as well as the street on my personal car, hopefully early may. If you want to get a set before then assuming liability you can no problem if you want to get a set sooner which I assume you do.

Really though the principles are solid and testing isn't really necessary, but it'll still be done.
      04-15-2010, 02:20 PM   #8
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Because of the limited amount of sidewall on the bushing due to the offset design it looks like delrin isn't going to work. We have two options CNC an entire assembly at substantial cost, or machine two pieces joined with a weld at half the cost. The welding would be done by a highly certified welder who welds for nasa.

I need input on this. For the 1 piece design I would have to at least 5-10 people ahead of time. So I need input on which design to pursue.
      04-15-2010, 02:53 PM   #9
Getssum96
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: TBD

What kind of estimated $'s are we talking here?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 05:37 PM   #10
F360C
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 S54

I have no problem with a welded design.... Lots of parts on our cars are welded and if done properly I think will be strong enough.

07 Z4 M Coupe AW/IR
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2010, 08:13 AM   #11
hansaysso
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC, 93 RX7 FD3S

i agree, what are the cost ranges for both designs? if the welding is good on the second design, its strength isn't compromised and it is cost effective i'm fine with that.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2010, 10:00 AM   #12
Rated M
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 IB Z4MC

Interested and Subscribed.
Appreciate 0