ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-22-2010, 06:16 PM   #1
sipman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Brake pedal sinking

Hi,
I'm having an issue where the brake pedal sinks. If I apply decent pressure on the brake pedal, it stops firmly, then it will continue to drop about an inch or two. In really fast stops, I find the pedal ends too low for me to roll my foot onto the accelerator for heel-toe downshifts.

I bled the brakes twice and used ATE blue fluid, as well as R-4s (pads). So I'm guessing I have eliminated a brake overheating issue and hopefully, a boiled fluid issue too.

Anyone have any ideas why the brake pedal does this? And is there a solution that'll give me back a higher pedal so I can downshift properly?

thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2010, 07:14 PM   #2
jmillet
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Hyundai IONIQ 6 SEL AWD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sipman View Post
Hi,
I'm having an issue where the brake pedal sinks. If I apply decent pressure on the brake pedal, it stops firmly, then it will continue to drop about an inch or two. In really fast stops, I find the pedal ends too low for me to roll my foot onto the accelerator for heel-toe downshifts.

I bled the brakes twice and used ATE blue fluid, as well as R-4s (pads). So I'm guessing I have eliminated a brake overheating issue and hopefully, a boiled fluid issue too.

Anyone have any ideas why the brake pedal does this? And is there a solution that'll give me back a higher pedal so I can downshift properly?

thanks
Sounds like there may be air in the lines. What method did you use to do the bleed?
I find the Motive Power Bleeder to give me the best results with no chance of introducing air into the system.

Appreciate 0
      03-22-2010, 08:18 PM   #3
sipman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

First bleed was by a PCA approved shop to meet tech requirements so I don't know how it was done. But second bleed was with the power bleeder.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2010, 11:20 AM   #4
Blind32
Certified Adrenaline Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

I read your post then a few hours later read this other post by another person. It may be of help to you.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=433232&page=3

Post #68

Might want to contact him and see if he got his resolved.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2010, 12:12 PM   #5
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 AW Z4C 3.0Si

This may not be an accurate comparison as this was on a Datsun track car years ago. If you hit the pedal hard the result would be the expected pedal firmness and reduction in speed. If you tried to feather or use moderate pressure, the pedal would slowly go to the floor while slowing the car. The problem was found to be a bad seal in the master cylinder unit.
      03-23-2010, 08:07 PM   #6
sipman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the link. I was actually at the same event as F360C, the poster you referred to. He and I couldn't figure it out. We talked about it and his solution was to use his heel for heel-toe. I can't do the same with my heel after my ankle was crushed by a car that t-boned me on my motorcycle.
I had one person PM me that Stop Techs solved his problem. Not sure if a pad can be the issue. They aren't designed to compress much... i think.
Appreciate 0