E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Dealer stalling to replace HPFP?

03-22-2010, 06:13 PM   #1
fredwlau
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: JB3 e90 335i, e92 SG 6MT M3

Dealer stalling to replace HPFP?

HPFP went out a while back, in my car it seems to just put the car into reduced power mode where there is no boost from the turbos, can still drive fine, simply accelerates very slowly. Restart the car and everything is normal until I punch the gas again or stray over 5k rpms. Had long crank times as well.

Took it to the dealer, they said not a HPFP issue, did some tweaking in the ECU, crank times fixed, engine malfunction light still coming up when I do "spirited driving", basically all the same as before except the crank time has been fixed. Took it to my dealer today, SA told me that my CP-E Standback Management could be the reason for the malfunction light coming on. Advised me to unplug the software and keep the car off for 16 minutes which is when the onboard computers reset, should fix the problem, but it didn't.

Any advice? Are they reluctant to replace the pump? Is it a pump issue?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2010, 06:28 PM   #2
fredwlau
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: JB3 e90 335i, e92 SG 6MT M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takashi View Post
This topic have been covered numerous times.

Did your dying HPFP throw a code? No codes = no replacement.
Sorry, I don't frequent these forums, should have searched first. I guess no code was found, this is the exact wording on the receipt.

CHECK FOR LONG CRANKING COMPLAINT. PERFORMED FAULT SURVEY DME - 2FBF. FOLLOWED TEST PLAN. SIB 12.55.06 AND FLOW CHART. HOOK UP AND CHECK LOW SIDE PRESSURE - 5.2 BAR. CHECK LEAKDOWN- 4.8 BAR = OK. CHECK HIGH SIDE PRESSURE = 49 BAR. TEST PLAN STATED TO REPLACE HIGH PRESSURE PUMP. FLOW CHART AND SIB RESULTS WERE TO UPDATE DME SOFTWARE THEN CHECK DME PROGRAM NUMBERS. SUBMIT PUMA CASE#29855928 REGARDING WHETHER TO REPLACE THE PUMP OR UPDATE THE DME. THEIR REPLY WAS TO UPDATE DME AND CHECK THE PROGRAM NUMBERS. PROGRAM/CODE CONTROL MODULES WITHOUT CAS. CLEAR ENGINE ADAPTATIONS AND FAULT MEMORY. DME PROG. NUMBER IS ABOVE 7611 SO NO FURTHER WORK IS REQUIRED.

What are my alternatives, if any.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2010, 09:16 PM   #3
bmw-hoya
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredwlau View Post
Sorry, I don't frequent these forums, should have searched first. I guess no code was found, this is the exact wording on the receipt.

CHECK FOR LONG CRANKING COMPLAINT. PERFORMED FAULT SURVEY DME - 2FBF. FOLLOWED TEST PLAN. SIB 12.55.06 AND FLOW CHART. HOOK UP AND CHECK LOW SIDE PRESSURE - 5.2 BAR. CHECK LEAKDOWN- 4.8 BAR = OK. CHECK HIGH SIDE PRESSURE = 49 BAR. TEST PLAN STATED TO REPLACE HIGH PRESSURE PUMP. FLOW CHART AND SIB RESULTS WERE TO UPDATE DME SOFTWARE THEN CHECK DME PROGRAM NUMBERS. SUBMIT PUMA CASE#29855928 REGARDING WHETHER TO REPLACE THE PUMP OR UPDATE THE DME. THEIR REPLY WAS TO UPDATE DME AND CHECK THE PROGRAM NUMBERS. PROGRAM/CODE CONTROL MODULES WITHOUT CAS. CLEAR ENGINE ADAPTATIONS AND FAULT MEMORY. DME PROG. NUMBER IS ABOVE 7611 SO NO FURTHER WORK IS REQUIRED.

Thanks!
I'm interested in comparing this verbage with mine. I took my '08 335i in for service today because the "check engine soon" light was on. I'm pretty sure it is the hpfp. However, the dealer will not be replacing the hpfp -- but did re-program the car. I find that odd - they better not have neutered my car!

Anyway, I'm picking up the car tomorrow, so I'll know more then.

"Look, we are all reasonable men here. We don't have to give assurances as if we were lawyers." (Godfather: Part II)
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2010, 09:45 PM   #4
Oulixes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 330xi, 335i

Quote:

Thanks!
It does not look as if he dealer were stalling. It looks that the dealer just followed instructions from the BMW NA.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2010, 09:51 PM   #5
chromisdesigns
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

Looks correct, but if you are STILL getting check engine lights when you rev it, it needs to go back in for more troubleshooting. Don't understand what "software" you are supposed to "unplug", but if you have mods, TAKE THEM OUT before going in for service!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2010, 09:52 PM   #6
angler
love to fish!
Rep
Drives: 13: SG 135i M-Sport Cabrio 6mt

Quote:
HPFP went out a while back, in my car it seems to just put the car into reduced power mode where there is no boost from the turbos, can still drive fine, simply accelerates very slowly. Restart the car and everything is normal until I punch the gas again or stray over 5k rpms. Had long crank times as well.

Took it to the dealer, they said not a HPFP issue, did some tweaking in the ECU, crank times fixed, engine malfunction light still coming up when I do "spirited driving", basically all the same as before except the crank time has been fixed. Took it to my dealer today, SA told me that my CP-E Standback Management could be the reason for the malfunction light coming on. Advised me to unplug the software and keep the car off for 16 minutes which is when the onboard computers reset, should fix the problem, but it didn't.

Any advice? Are they reluctant to replace the pump? Is it a pump issue?

Thanks!
take it back and tell them to fix it right if they dont take to another dealer or call bmwna
      03-22-2010, 10:05 PM   #7
sb335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by angler View Post
take it back and tell them to fix it right if they dont take to another dealer or call bmwna

+1 That light should not come on for any reason other than a problem.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2010, 10:08 PM   #8
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takashi View Post
This topic have been covered numerous times.

Did your dying HPFP throw a code? No codes = no replacement.
Wrong.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2010, 08:23 AM   #9
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

I'd try a new dealer.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2010, 08:29 AM   #10
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

When I had mine replaced I had no codes just long cranks. Took 3 visits to 2 different dealers to get it replaced. Finally I drove the piss outta the car (which seemed to aggravate the crank issue) on my way to the dealer to make sure it would do it when the SA tried it. Sure enough on that last visit it did the long crank for the SA and they replaced the HPFP. The other times I went they ran all these tests and said it was fine and BMWNA would not allow them to replace it.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2010, 08:59 AM   #11
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

It is up to BMWNA on all HPFP replacements. The dealers can not make the call. 1st step is to make sure the car is at the latest software integration level and then retest fuel pressure. If pressures are good, ship it and see what happens. Unfortunately many come back needing a pump.
      03-23-2010, 12:51 PM   #12
bspaceman
The Last Beautiful Free Soul On This Planet
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 335i coupe

yup, update software, check for faults, if it throws the code the HPFP is replaced. If no codes are found no further work is done.

Jet Black/Black Leather 335i coupe (totaled courtesy of the pizza kid
Sport/Premi/Comft/Nav - iDrive/Sirius/iPod/OEM Body kit, M Sideskirts, M deck lip, Miro 366s on Nitto 555 NTs, Matte Black Grills, Valentine 1 hardwire, 35% tint, BMS Lighting, BMS computer magic, BMS Dual Cone
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2010, 01:18 PM   #13
kgb1637
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: RS5

OP, I see you're in PA, what dealer are you taking it to?
      03-23-2010, 01:19 PM   #14
kgb1637
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

03-23-2010, 01:20 PM   #15
kgb1637
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

04-25-2010, 10:38 PM   #16
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

Just over 2K miles on my 2010 335i and had my first long crank today. Going in to the dealer this week. I've also been getting aboug 3mpg lower than my 07 335i (both manual and driven the same).

I'm ready for the dealer to feed me a bunch of crap (they always do), but I'm going to demand a HPFP (or injector) replacement. I'm also going to tell them that they are wholly responsible for any adverse ramifications I have to endure if they don't replace it and the the car fails outside of the dealership. BMWNA knows me well (unfortunately). Every BMW I have owned has had electrical/mechanical problems. My X5 started dying literally 1 week after buying it. It died 4 times and had over 20 electrical/mechanical problems. BMWNA refused a buy back. We sold it after 6 months for a HUGE loss. As*holes at BMW!

Good luck with your car, but don't expect BMWNA or the dealer to do anything special for you.
Appreciate 0