E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > 335xi: Installing FMIC, DPs & exhaust this weekend...

03-16-2010, 05:45 PM   #1
eclipsor
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

335xi: Installing FMIC, DPs & exhaust this weekend...

I have a couple quick questions for you guys. I have a 2008 335xi coupe and I will be installing a Helix FMIC, AR catless DPs, and AE catless exhaust this weekend (on jackstands/ramps (read: no lift)). I'm wondering how much different the installs will be on the AWD, as opposed to the RWD. I'll be using the following three DIYs, as well as the factory service manual + some years of mechanical experience...

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104333
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91461
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79514

Please let me know if there are other DIYs that are more suited for my exact application. I'm thinking that the downpipe install will be the only one with any significant differences from the DIYs.

Also, I have a set of KW V3s sitting around, ready to be installed. Would it be beneficial to install the suspension at the same time (i.e. will I have to take off front suspension components to access the DPs on my xi)?

Thanks in advance for the help.

P.S. Hopefully I can get onto a dyno sometime this week for a baseline run before I start going crazy with the mods.

Last edited by eclipsor; 03-16-2010 at 05:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 05:54 PM   #2
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

The only difference will be the DPs...which would be more difficult...other than that it should be pretty straightforward...Good luck especially since your doing it with jack stands! If you finish everything after the weekend, your a champ!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 06:01 PM   #3
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

Unless you cut one of the stock downpipes in half with a sawzall you'll need to remove some suspension bits
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 06:58 PM   #4
JoeyFiasco
Major
Rep
Drives: '09 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsimon View Post
Unless you cut one of the stock downpipes in half with a sawzall you'll need to remove some suspension bits
you're joking.. really?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 07:01 PM   #5
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep

not joking, there isn't room to remove the downpipes without doing one of those two things. We cut one of mine in half instead of removing the axel and such... axel removal/install is a pain in the ass.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 07:05 PM   #6
eclipsor
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
not joking, there isn't room to remove the downpipes without doing one of those two things. We cut one of mine in half instead of removing the axel and such... axel removal/install is a pain in the ass.
Ugh... removing suspension components is one thing, but removing one of the axles is another. I guess I will just cut the damn pipe. The only time I will be removing the axles is when I change my clutch.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 07:09 PM   #7
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep

it's more fun to cut it anyways

Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 07:18 PM   #8
eclipsor
Private First Class
Rep

How hard is it to get the AR DPs up into their final destination without taking out the axle? I'm guessing it's the cats that make the stockers hard to remove, eh?

Last edited by eclipsor; 03-16-2010 at 07:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 07:19 PM   #9
JoeyFiasco
Major
Rep
Drives: '09 Coupe

Quote:
it's more fun to cut it anyways

Jesus.. you went to town on those. if that if what has to be done with every DP install on a Xi you guys get props.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 07:38 PM   #10
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipsor View Post
How hard is it to get the AR DPs up into their final destination without taking out the axle? I'm guessing it's the cats that make the stockers hard to remove, eh?
My UR ones are 2.5", they went right back in with no issues. I can't comment on the AR's. But like you said, it was the cats that were the issue getting the stock ones out
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 05:48 PM   #11
eclipsor
Private First Class
Rep

Well... HO LY SHIT... my car is finally back together and I'm in love.

I installed the Helix FMIC and the AE exhaust myself, then got to work on the downpipes. I cut the stockers in half (I now regret that) before removing the axle and bearing case, which turned out to be a big mistake. Why? Because I couldn't get the axle out of the bearing case or the hub. That fucker was in there good and I had absolutely no luck extracting either end. Obviously there was no going back, at that point, because the stock dowpipes were sitting on the garage floor in pieces. I was getting pretty pissed off and I didn't want to break anything, so I ended up just putting the car up onto my trailer and taking it to a shop near my house.

Quote:
My UR ones are 2.5", they went right back in with no issues. I can't comment on the AR's. But like you said, it was the cats that were the issue getting the stock ones out
They had to remove the axle, drop the sub-frame, and lift the engine in order to get the big-ass AR downpipes up onto the turbos.

The end result is definitely noticeable. The sound is quite intoxicating and my butt dyno has registered a significant increase in power (especially high in the rev range). The exhaust sounds SO much meaner and more beefy than stock. I was surprised to actually hear less of a "gurgling" sound at low speeds (part and off-throttle), which I'm (incorrectly?) attributing to the decreased back pressure.

QUESTION #1: The passenger side hose that came with my Helix FMIC doesn't seem to be optimal piece for the job. It's a straight section of hose, if I remember correctly, and it actually should have a slight (5 degree, maybe) bend in it. I made it fit, but the hose is actually deforming (crinkling) because it's being forced to bend slightly. This is definitely not ideal and I'm trying to find a replacement that's better suited for the task at hand. Has anyone else experienced the same issue?

QUESTION #2: The Helix FMIC feels to be about three times heavier than the stock unit, yet it's still being held in place by the same two (tiny) screws. I'm very worried about this intercooler dropping out of the car if I hit a big pothole. I think I'm going to try to reinforce the FMIC with some heavy-duty zip ties. Has anyone else had a similar concern?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 09:09 PM   #12
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:

I installed the Helix FMIC and the AE exhaust myself, then got to work on the downpipes. I cut the stockers in half (I now regret that) before removing the axle and bearing case, which turned out to be a big mistake. Why? Because I couldn't get the axle out of the bearing case or the hub. That fucker was in there good and I had absolutely no luck extracting either end. Obviously there was no going back, at that point, because the stock dowpipes were sitting on the garage floor in pieces. I was getting pretty pissed off and I didn't want to break anything, so I ended up just putting the car up onto my trailer and taking it to a shop near my house.

They had to remove the axle, drop the sub-frame, and lift the engine in order to get the big-ass AR downpipes up onto the turbos.

The end result is definitely noticeable. The sound is quite intoxicating and my butt dyno has registered a significant increase in power (especially high in the rev range). The exhaust sounds SO much meaner and more beefy than stock. I was surprised to actually hear less of a "gurgling" sound at low speeds (part and off-throttle), which I'm (incorrectly?) attributing to the decreased back pressure.

QUESTION #1: The passenger side hose that came with my Helix FMIC doesn't seem to be optimal piece for the job. It's a straight section of hose, if I remember correctly, and it actually should have a slight (5 degree, maybe) bend in it. I made it fit, but the hose is actually deforming (crinkling) because it's being forced to bend slightly. This is definitely not ideal and I'm trying to find a replacement that's better suited for the task at hand. Has anyone else experienced the same issue?

QUESTION #2: The Helix FMIC feels to be about three times heavier than the stock unit, yet it's still being held in place by the same two (tiny) screws. I'm very worried about this intercooler dropping out of the car if I hit a big pothole. I think I'm going to try to reinforce the FMIC with some heavy-duty zip ties. Has anyone else had a similar concern?

Thanks!
Regarding the FMIC weight issue, I was also concerned with the weight of these large fmic and the lack of a real support....Waited for a while for some vendor to finally come out with a support system to pull the trigger...Although you and I may feel uncomfortable about this, there hasn't been one issue that I have heard about the IC falling out.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 04:51 AM   #13
TurboBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Yeah, I was really surprised that the IC is fixed place by two tiny screws (what's more, screwed into plastic... ).

But I guess it's just as much the IC pipes which hold it in place. On my Forge IC, the OEM tubing is replaced by silicone ones, which are a very tight fight, secured by T-clamps.
Performance Seats, Exhaust, Splitters, Pedals, Steering Wheel / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / Forge FMIC / Quaife LSD / Öhlins Road & Track / M3 Suspension Parts / Solid Subframe Bushings / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Racing Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR DPs / Alpina TCU / COBB Pro-Tune
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 08:41 AM   #14
BayerischeMW
Man with No Name
Norway
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i

OT: Autobahn335i, could you (in a different thread) post your thoughts on the Forge FMIC (power, temperature, pressure drop and install)?

E92 335i coupe March 2007
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2010, 10:24 AM   #15
JayML
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ....

was it this much trouble to get the ar pipes in because the car is an xi? or thats what everyone goes through when they put downpipes in the n54 motor

does it matter if your coupe or 4 door as well
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2010, 10:26 AM   #16
eclipsor
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapmyfro View Post
was it this much trouble to get the ar pipes in because the car is an xi? or thats what everyone goes through when they put downpipes in the n54 motor

Just XIs have to deal with this... and I don't think it has anything to do with the number of doors.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2010, 10:28 AM   #17
Alex@AKMotorwerk
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 AW F10 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapmyfro View Post

xi's/xdrive are definitely more trouble than the I's... coupe and 4 door are similar, it's the i and xi that differs.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2010, 11:42 AM   #18
stimpy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:

Thanks!
#1 - I'm not sure if it's the same issue as we had but it sounds very similar. What we had to do to get rid of the deforming/crinkling was pull the silicone hose up higher on each end and it straightened out any crinkling.

#2 - I agree however I haven't had an issue yet (or read of one)

Last edited by stimpy; 04-09-2010 at 11:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2010, 12:01 PM   #19
zsapphire7
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 M3

thats crazy... im so glad i didnt get an xi haha....
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2010, 12:41 PM   #20
import36
Burrito bowl connoisseur
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Nissan GTR Black Edition

geezus...i'll be installing the same exhaust and downpipe combo soon. i feel really fortunate at this point to not have an XI...especially since i'll be doing this in my garage on ramps/jackstands.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2010, 12:42 PM   #21
Kevin@AKMotorwerk
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: THE GUY YOU LOVE TO HATE

the axle does not have to be taken out, and the dp doenst have to be cut, although on jackstands thats probably the easier route
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2010, 12:48 PM   #22
eclipsor
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin@AKMotorwerk View Post
the axle does not have to be taken out, and the dp doenst have to be cut, although on jackstands thats probably the easier route
I have a hard time believing that.

So, if you don't remove the axle and bearing case, do you drop the subframe and lift the motor.
Appreciate 0