E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > New to the forums! Some questions...

03-15-2010, 08:40 PM   #1
Toma
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Coupe Gun Metal / Red

New to the forums! Some questions...

Whats up guys! I am new to the forums!

Just got my 335i 2007 two days ago! Awesome car!

I work on a Military Base so my car gets so much DIRT on it from the wind blowing it all around....

I heard there is some see-thru coating that I could put over my car so that the dirt doesn't effect it as much.

Also, I was wondering if I can get some sort of floor mat protection so they don't get so dirty.

The bottom half of my door gets dirty as well from my foot grazing off the door, so my shoe sometimes leaves a dirt trail on the bottom half of my door, any advice will be helpful, thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2010, 11:29 PM   #2
Blacksapphiref06
Lieutenant
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: F06

Garage List
2013 BMW F06  [9.90]
2007 BMW M6  [8.50]
wow.. we have exactly the same car and color combo nice

07 BMW M6 E63 [ Space Grey on Black Nappa Leather ]

13 BMW 640i F06 [ Black Sapphire on Cinnamon Brown Leather ]
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2010, 11:40 PM   #3
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cadillac coupe deville

some advice, if you already dont know, educate yourself on the hpfp issue

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=333519
      03-16-2010, 12:00 AM   #4
Syndicategt
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
I heard there is some see-thru coating that I could put over my car so that the dirt doesn't effect it as much.
My MB has an aftermarket clear coat which is ok, I never have to wax my car. The only downside is that it easily scratches and it's a black vehicle so the scuffs show up easily. Just keep your car regularly waxed and wash and you should be fine.

Floor mats: http://www.weathertech.com/ their all weather mats kick butt, expesnive but worth it. Check out Tisher http://www.tischerbmw.net/ for the OEM all weather floor mats.
2008 BMW 335i e90 - Sold - Rob Beck Turbos / PROcede V5 / Aquamist HFS-4 / AR Downpipes / AE Exhaust / ER Comp FMIC / ER CP / TiAL BOV / Custom Intake / RPI Scoops / Quaife LSD / Swift-Koni Coilovers / DSS HS / Morr VS8.2 Sig Black / Michelin PSS / P3 Boost Guage / M3 body / M3 steering wheel / Adam's Rotors / Hawk HPS / SS lines /
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 03:49 AM   #5
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

Nanotechnology non-organic polymers

[: the study of the controlling of matter on an atomic and molecular scale. Generally nanotechnology deals with structures of the size 100 nanometres or smaller in at least one dimension] [1]

Nanotechnology refers to the study, creation and application of molecular materials with a particle size that is typically less than one nanometre (nm) is one billionth, or 10−9, of a meter. By comparison, typical carbon-carbon bond lengths, or the spacing between these atoms in a molecule, are in the range 0.12–0.15 nm. The significance of a polymer nano-coating is that is can form a very tight bond with the surface of most materials; including glass, paint, plastic, rubber, aluminium, chrome, stainless steel, fabrics, and leather will have surface imperfections i.e. peaks and valleys, micro-fissures when viewed under high magnification. These undulations allow a nano-coating polymer to form a tight molecular bond with the surface it’s applied to.

1. Nanotechnology polymers form a very tight matrix chain-link structure, which forms both a very strong bond and one that is not easily breached by chemicals or detergents.
2. This type of polymer coatings with its small particulate size are much smaller than those of water; making them hydrophobic (water resistant)
3. Due to their size they fill any surface irregularities (micro fissures) which results in a flat surface, one that reflects light without hindrance

G-Techniq together with Bayer and BASF has devised a new coating using Silane

[: a chemical compound with chemical formula SiH40] - SiO2 + H2O = SiH40 forming a nano composite quartz polymer lattice Si-O-(R)]

C1 Crystal Lacquer nano composite structure provides highly effective physical UV blocking, with >98% visible light transmission. Heat exposure; cured films are highly resistant to heat, and can withstand surface temperatures as high as 1,000. 0C. This product contains no silicone oils and only contains reactive resins that cross-link and provide long-term durability. The reactive resins are moisture cured and alcohol is a by product of the reaction with moisture.

Their P1 nano composite polish that can be applied to paintwork; it uses nano-technology polymers that bond with the paintwork forming a tough, transparent protective coating over the body of a car (or boat or jumbo jet) this ensures a much superior bonding which allows for an incredible water, dust and pollutant repellence and extended coating durability.

The surface becomes incredibly water repellent, very easy to maintain, dirt, oil and pollutant repellent and very durable, it also leaves the surface with an incredible shine. Applied too thickly it actually crystallises into a very hard rough crust; a demonstration of the nature of the product. Paint Refinishing System

Nanolex - sealing a surface with nanotechnology means applying nano-structures onto the surface - these treated surfaces become super-hydrophobic and thereby water-rejecting - which means easier and faster cleaning for you and improved protection for the surface. It takes longer for the dirt to bond to the surface and it can’t burn itself into the surface at high temperatures.

After the appropriate nano-substance has been applied to the cleaned surface the nano-particles organize themselves and form the desired structure.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 08:06 AM   #6
jocamryn
Major
Rep
Drives: '23X4 M40i/'24 X2(In Transit)

Ewww Irwin? lol Nice ride. Is that just an urban legend about the army paying for a paintjob when you leave there because of the sand storms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toma View Post
Whats up guys! I am new to the forums!

Just got my 335i 2007 two days ago! Awesome car!

I work on a Military Base so my car gets so much DIRT on it from the wind blowing it all around....

Also, I was wondering if I can get some sort of floor mat protection so they don't get so dirty.

The bottom half of my door gets dirty as well from my foot grazing off the door, so my shoe sometimes leaves a dirt trail on the bottom half of my door, any advice will be helpful, thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 09:21 AM   #7
Toma
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Coupe Gun Metal / Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbo335Ci View Post
wow.. we have exactly the same car and color combo nice
Nice!!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 05:27 PM   #8