E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Heel and Toe technique

08-22-2005, 12:42 PM   #1
egtlover74
Photographer
Rep
Drives: 335is Coupe

Heel and Toe technique

I know how it should be excuted, at least the technical part, but could not practice on my e90. The accelator pedal seems to be much lower than the brake pedal. Any suggestions or tips on how to excute hill an toe in e90? I just rev match for now but really want to try hill and toe technique.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2005, 01:05 PM   #2
HRC
MAUI BUILT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i MT

Garage List
2002 E46 325i  [0.00]
2012 E70 35i  [0.00]
To get better access to the gas pedal, angle your right foot so that your heel is lower than the "toe" portion of your foot. I'm still getting used to the sensitive brakes in relation to the lower gas pedal.

Danny
Arctic/Blk Leather/Alum.Trim/MT/ZSP/Sunshades/Blk Lines/M3 Illuminated Knob/Alcantara Performance Wheel/M-E-Brake Handle/Euro Fog Switch/Koni Yellows/H&R Sport Springs/19" VMR V718's w/PS2 Tires/M-Tech Body Kit/Carbon Fiber Spoiler/Bimmian Interior Bulbs/OEM Eye Glass Tray/SSK/Alcantara Boot/Split Armrest/OEM Dual Rear Power Outlets/Rear Ashtray Delete/OEM Alum. Pedals/Osram 6000K/Brex Rings/LED Side Markers/BMS Power Box
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2005, 05:28 PM   #3
hwkdrvr
Rep
Drives: POS 91 Kia Pride

What exactly is the "Hill an Toe" technique?

Is this a new method for starting on a hill? I thought the car came with "hill" assist.

J/K

M.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2005, 11:12 PM   #4
Llamaslayer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e60 530i

wait... is it heel toe or hill toe o_0? i thought it was heel toe. anyone want to give me some basic instructions on how to heel toe? its just for keeping rpms up while drifting right?
      08-23-2005, 06:37 PM   #5
xcalibr
First Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E90 325xi

Garage List
2006 E90 325xi  [0.00]
not just drifting... it's a useful technique for any cornering... basically as you approach the corner, you brake to slow down. push down the clutch and shift down to the gear you want to accelerate out of. so as you are braking with your toe, you kind of roll the other part of your foot (heel) over and stab the gas pedal to get the rpms up to where you can rev match as you normally would when you down shift... so then you can slow down and rev match/down shift at the same time (three pedals, two feet) and get much faster exit speeds out of a corner. I've actually had quite a difficult time doing it on my e90... it's much easier on my friend's miata where the braking is not as sensitive and the pedals are relatively close and of the same height --in fact in the miata, i don't have to heel toe--i just simply roll my foot side to side between the two pedals... the top of my shoe is big enough to span both pedals.

I've had friends who've complained about it being difficult to pull off in bmw's in general --but then again i've also heard it's easy to do in bm's... i've never driven any other manual tranny bmw's other than my e90, so i wouldn't know. but i definitley don't have the hang of it yet... just practice, and you'll get it.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2005, 01:07 AM   #6
visor
BMW, can I have some LSD please?
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F30 340i xDrive

See this link below. Explains this technique quite well and has excellent diagrams too.

With e46/e90's drive-by-wire gas pedal, you don't really do heel-toe, but technically you straddle the 2 pedals with the left part of your inturned foot on the brake and the right part on the gas. While braking you roll the foot onto the gas to blip the throttle in preparation for the downshift

http://www.turnfast.com/tech_driving..._heeltoe.shtml
Appreciate 0