E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic > DC Metro folks - need help with good DE

10-27-2006, 05:07 PM   #1
chrisbferg
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335i - on order

DC Metro folks - need help with good DE

Hey, Guys -

My 335i is showing up in December. I really want to make a concentrated effort to improve my driving skills via quality track instruction be it in courses like M School, Barber's HP driving school at Limerock, etc. Are there more local options that I should be are of? I am willing/able to consider any options at varying price levels - I just want to start a methodical approach to becoming a much better driver.

By the way, I am excited to start attending events, meets, etc. once the new wheels show up. Thanks in advance for the feedback.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2006, 05:32 PM   #2
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portal

Hey Chris, welcome and congrats!

Do you autocross already? www.capitaldrivingclub.com for Autoxes

Check out www.carguys.com for some HPDEs.

Also, the BMW CCA organize autoxes and HPDEs too. www.nccbmwcca.org
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2006, 05:34 PM   #3
cycler2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328i Sedan

Performance Center

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbferg
Hey, Guys -

My 335i is showing up in December. I really want to make a concentrated effort to improve my driving skills via quality track instruction be it in courses like M School, Barber's HP driving school at Limerock, etc. Are there more local options that I should be are of? I am willing/able to consider any options at varying price levels - I just want to start a methodical approach to becoming a much better driver.

By the way, I am excited to start attending events, meets, etc. once the new wheels show up. Thanks in advance for the feedback.
Why not try the Performance Center Delivery option? It's free, except for the trip to Greenville and BMW treats you very well. I took delivery there this month and the track time was great fun and useful for real-world driving. It's just a "taste" of what you would get at a day-long session---but free is hard to beat.

Rich
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2006, 05:54 PM   #4
sixspeedsam
I'd Rather Be Apexing...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimshimhada
Hey Chris, welcome and congrats!

Do you autocross already? www.capitaldrivingclub.com for Autoxes

Check out www.carguys.com for some HPDEs.

Also, the BMW CCA organize autoxes and HPDEs too. www.nccbmwcca.org
Chris,

Nice car and welcome. I'd second all the links David posted - I'm a member of Capital Driving Club. Great group, not as "intense" and serious as SCCA events but you usually end up getting a lot more seat time at their events (and at the end of the day, becoming a better driver is all about seat time).

The SCCA also offers up a Novice school for those folks who want to get their feet wet with auto-x. I took the entry class awhile back, well worth it. You can check them out here:

http://solo.wdcr-scca.org/noviceSchool.php

Obviously with winter here no classes, but I'm sure they'll open up again next spring.

Also, you'll need a helmet (of course, you can borrow also or rent ... but if you're gonna race a bit, just buy). The local shop in VA is OG Racing. Good shop and group of guys ... and they all race too. I'm sure they could put you on some additional events, etc. Lots of local euro car clubs that run at the local tracks.

Just remember ... once you get the bug, it's a slippery slope and your wallet will get lighter quickly!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2006, 03:33 PM   #5
aznevoviii
Bimmer n00b
United_States
Rep
Drives: none

BMW Performance Driving School will be a great option!
http://www.bmwusa.com/bmwexperience/...r/delivery.htm

I will be all over there if they will let me even I did already make a purchase..
Appreciate 0