ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-22-2009, 04:47 PM   #1
S2peed
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 Black Z4MC

Bilstein Heavy Duty HD Shocks Z4M

Hi guys,

I have Eibach springs with factory shocks. I really don't like how harsh the BMW shocks ride. These Bilstein Heavy Duty seem to ride better without sacrificing performance.

Coilovers are too expensive right now plus I already have springs so I'll just need to add some shocks. Does anybody have experience with these shock???

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2009, 08:50 AM   #2
F360C
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 S54

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2peed View Post
Hi guys,

I have Eibach springs with factory shocks. I really don't like how harsh the BMW shocks ride. These Bilstein Heavy Duty seem to ride better without sacrificing performance.

Coilovers are too expensive right now plus I already have springs so I'll just need to add some shocks. Does anybody have experience with these shock???

Thanks!
A Z4 MR guy that had these on bimmerforums and I came really close to buying them from him but when I thought about it this was just a stop gap solution for me cause I would have eventually ended up buying coilovers anyways.

07 Z4 M Coupe AW/IR
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2009, 11:08 AM   #3
nickpapa
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0

from what i know about bilstein shocks from previous cars, the heavy duties are made to mate with stock springs. if you were to use lowering springs (such as the eibachs), the bilstein sports are recommended as they have a shorter shaft and it wouldn't bottom out. valving on both HD and sport are the same. just the shaft length is different to compensate for lowering springs.

the harsh ride youre experiencing with the stock shocks are probably because the shocks are shot and are bottoming out. similar to what would happen with HDs as well
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2009, 11:49 AM   #4
F360C
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 S54

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickpapa View Post
from what i know about bilstein shocks from previous cars, the heavy duties are made to mate with stock springs. if you were to use lowering springs (such as the eibachs), the bilstein sports are recommended as they have a shorter shaft and it wouldn't bottom out. valving on both HD and sport are the same. just the shaft length is different to compensate for lowering springs.

the harsh ride youre experiencing with the stock shocks are probably because the shocks are shot and are bottoming out. similar to what would happen with HDs as well
I can't remember if this guy had the HDs now or the sports. I'll have to check and see if I still got his email and maybe I can see what springs he was running with them. My stock shocks are pretty much on their way out after 36,000 miles of track, autox and street driving through NJ/NY and Canada

07 Z4 M Coupe AW/IR
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2010, 10:26 AM   #5
blender
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep
Drives: black

i researched these too. Bilstein lists them as type "b6" and "sport" on their own website, but the part numbers are for heavy duty shocks with standard ride height, NOT 'sport' shocks with lowered ride height. Confirmed same with Tirerack phone support. Others may know differently?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2010, 02:45 PM   #6
S2peed
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I gave up on these as I reached Bilstein and they confirmed it's for factory springs. Also they don't ride smoothly according to some reviews.

I end up buying Coilovers to resolve my situation which for Z4M owners seems like the only option.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2010, 04:52 AM   #7
crumb
Private
Rep
Drives: honda

Do coilovers improve the ride? I have some bad roads in my area. Any downside to coilovers?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2010, 11:59 AM   #8
S2peed
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crumb View Post
Do coilovers improve the ride? I have some bad roads in my area. Any downside to coilovers?
Sure does. . TCK coilovers you can adjust rebound & dampening, you can also choose a spring rate that works you. In your case 300-500 spring rate for a comfortable ride.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2010, 05:00 PM   #9
crumb
Private
Rep

Are those the ones to get? What brand is best and where can one find them?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2010, 02:36 PM   #10
blender
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep
Drives: black

Quote:
Originally Posted by crumb View Post
Are those the ones to get? What brand is best and where can one find them?
go here and read, grasshopper.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2010, 07:05 AM   #11
crumb
Private
Rep

Thanks for the link - saw that already and was hoping for more experiential info.
Appreciate 0