BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-19-2009, 08:04 AM   #1
Survey S2000
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: S2000

Considering a 123d coupe msport

Hello,

This is my first post so hi to everybody. Hey moff i remember you posting on s2k.

As the title suggests im coming round for a new car and was considering the 123d but it doesn't seem to feature much on here with the 135i getting all the press. Is this a bad sign?

Im replacing my S2000 in feb and was considering the following option

123d ms coupe
TT 2.0t sline
S3
Scirroco R

The 123d still give RWD but it is a diesel. But that does offer me a massive tax saving.
The TT isnt that bad on tax but is good as its a petrol with plent of go. But its FWD.
The other two ive not given much time to a i only thought of the S3 last night and the SR its out yet.

Please help as i can make my mind up!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2009, 08:30 AM   #2
123D-M
Captain
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW 123d M-Sport Coupe

Garage List
Just go and drive a 123d. That will help you make up your mind

I bought one for the same reasons you mentioned. Taxes on diesel here are much much lower.

But in fact I should have just bought it because it is amazing to drive. So much torque everywhere in the rev range makes it a very quick car.
2009 123D Coupe | Sedona Red | Black Boston Leather | Brushed Aluminium Trim | Tinted Windows | M-Sport Package | 6M | Comfort Access | Heated Seats | Navigation | Park Distance Front & Rear | USB | Bluetooth | Voice Control | Efficient Dynamics | Rain & Light Sensors | Xenon Lights
My blog: http://urbanemusings.wordpress.com/
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2009, 08:56 AM   #3
Survey S2000
United Kingdom
Rep

Sun Roof?

Are they worth it??

Im going to miss the soft top and was thinking of going for a sun roof.

Trouble is they are expensive and its a toss up between the roof/xeons/leather.

Looking at the leather i dont know if i want to pay for it though?

Any comments, thought or experiences would be great!!!!

Alex
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2009, 10:31 AM   #4
Harry135
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 135

Hi Alex
I don't have a 123d but do have a 135.
For me - leave the sun roof...i mean why have a sun roof, its not gonna be like the s2000 - just a lot of buffeting i'd guess when open.
Also - only my choice I'd leave the leather - don't have it in my car and the 'standard' sport seats are excellent.
Xenons for me are a must.
Plus if you like your music the standard CD/radio is awful - you might want to upgrade that. i didn't but then just listen to the radio.
Hope that helps...you need to go drive one.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2009, 02:52 AM   #5
Survey S2000
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry135 View Post
Hi Alex
I don't have a 123d but do have a 135.
For me - leave the sun roof...i mean why have a sun roof, its not gonna be like the s2000 - just a lot of buffeting i'd guess when open.
Also - only my choice I'd leave the leather - don't have it in my car and the 'standard' sport seats are excellent.
Xenons for me are a must.
Plus if you like your music the standard CD/radio is awful - you might want to upgrade that. i didn't but then just listen to the radio.
Hope that helps...you need to go drive one.
Thanks for the pointers Harry.

You have convinced me not to go with the leather or sun roof.

Which stero is best? Can you fit an after market one? I dont want it to compromise the dashboard though. Is the prologic option any good?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2009, 05:16 AM   #6
Harry135
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Survey S2000 View Post
Thanks for the pointers Harry.

You have convinced me not to go with the leather or sun roof.

Which stero is best? Can you fit an after market one? I dont want it to compromise the dashboard though. Is the prologic option any good?
Afraid I can't help with the stereo, sorry - just know the standard fit "business CD" is pretty woeful. Theres a lot discussed about aftermarket stereo's at www.babybmw.net (another good site for the 1er)

You'll miss the s2000 - i owned one - fabulous cars!!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2009, 08:52 AM   #7
Survey S2000
United Kingdom
Rep

Sadly missed! loved every mile. Just came back from a driving holidaying to Italy. Went though the Stevio PAss and dolmites into switzerland. Its was epic!

Cheers for your help. Ill have a look there. Not many posts coming in here.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2009, 06:37 AM   #8
sootyvrs
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M340d

Seems odd that you have a short list of nice petrol cars and the only 1 Series you are considering is the diesel model?

I would recommend that you put the 135i on your short list. As good as the 123d is, the heart and soul of any car is the engine as there is no getting away from diesel clatter (albeit 123d is better than most)

Coming from a S2000 you will know what I mean
      10-23-2009, 07:47 AM   #9
changed
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 Msport

i have a 120, as when i ordered it the 123 was not available in auto..

but the performance between the 123 and 120 is quite noticeable.

the 135 obviously is the beast to have, but it offeres non of teh good points of the already fast 123d.

i have leather and the upgraded stero which are more than good enough.

as the above said though, get the xenons, they are a must and they are the one thing i regret leaving out on my from my spec (infact i left hem out through impatience of not waiting for a clean build )
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2009, 10:18 AM   #10
JB123d
Registered
Rep
Drives:

Hi Survey!

I have a 123d SE coupe, 6MT, Xenons, Prof radio & USB, + sunroof.

I tried SE and M-sport, but felt that SE was better for the roads we have here in Norfolk. M-sport + rft's was too harsh.

I have found the sunroof has more buffeting than my old E36, so I tend to close it on Motorways. I'm not sure if it was really worth it. Also sunroof means special order ( could be 10 week wait, and discounts are scarce).

Get Xenons - they look cool and are great to use.

Radio is good enough for my ears, but I haven't found it easy to use with a memory stick. It takes too long to move from track to track.

Petrol vs Diesel ?- the 123d is stand-out better than 120d ( partly smooth engine, partly short final drive). rev limiter is 4500-4750rpm, and even after 1 yr, I still clip this too often.....if you're moving from a 8250rpm S2000, you may notice it more. I get 45mpg pootling round...which is nice...and much better on long runs.

Sooty is right..try a petrol as well as the diesel.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2009, 02:48 AM   #11
garreth64
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 123d M Sport Coupe

Hi

I had a similar decision recently and bought the 123D and am very happy with it. I got a 11 month old M-Sport Coupe with lots of extras, Prof Nav, Leather, Xenons, Cruise, Sun Prot Glass, USB, 18"s, Bluetooth etc

I drove a Scirocco (2.0T) straight afterwards and it didn't do a lot for me. This was possibly down to the DSG, but it didn't feel that quick, the interior wasn't as nice, plus it's difficult to find a car with a decent spec. The Scirocco R is a different beast though and could be quite interesting.

I have just come from a Z4M Coupe, and previously a 350Z, but I still find the 123D reasonably fast and very enjoyable to drive. It is going in for a remap next week which should give it around 250bhp and 360 lb/ft which should make one quick car.

The other upsides in the UK are low road tax (£120), plus decent mpg - seems to be in the 40's for most people. The twin turbo delivery is good and a lot less like TD's ive driven in the past. The coupe is a bit of a marmite car, but personally I love it both inside and out.

The downsides are it is a diesel, rattly at start and the engine will never sound like a straight six or any other decent petrol engine. However, once on the move you dont notice it at all.

The final point for me and the main reason that I changed cars was that I have a bad back and the Z4M was making it worse. The heated sports seats in the 123d are wonderful and I get out of the car without pain.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2009, 06:56 AM   #12
Survey S2000
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for your comments. I've got to keep it brief....

BMW are the only cars id want with a diesel engine.

135i - i Love the idea of this car but new its over my budget with the extras i want and the tax is not far from the S2000's which i did want to reduce.

I would like the 130i but im after a coupe not the hatch.

JB - Thats 9000rpm in the S!8300 in CTR oh and usa's 2.2 S2000
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2009, 11:06 AM   #13
Lopster
Petrol Power!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 125i MSport, SGM/Coral, AT

Quote:
Thanks for your comments. I've got to keep it brief....

BMW are the only cars id want with a diesel engine.

135i - i Love the idea of this car but new its over my budget with the extras i want and the tax is not far from the S2000's which i did want to reduce.

I would like the 130i but im after a coupe not the hatch.

JB - Thats 9000rpm in the S!8300 in CTR oh and usa's 2.2 S2000

If you're after a coupe but the 135i is too pricey why not consider the 125i? Its got amazing reviews, some say sounds better than the 135i, and in 99.9% of situations you wouldnt need any more power than it gives you. Super smooth, free revving, 6 cyl screaming power, no rattles and no one thinking u have a taxi. If u dont mind higher tax and mpg isnt an issue then its a great choice. I do less than 5k miles per year so fuel costs arent an issue, but BOY those 5k miles are a lot more enjoyable in a 6cyl petrol which is what BMW are famous for after all.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2009, 01:07 PM   #14
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep
Drives: 530d

Garage List
Quote:
...I would like the 130i but im after a coupe not the hatch.
The other issue with the 130i is that they have stopped selling them in the UK. So basically the only six cylinder 1ers are the 125i/135i coupe/vert. In the now usual bending of the numbers the 125i is a 3.0 six.

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Now: 530d
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2009, 05:13 AM   #15
Lopster
Petrol Power!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 125i MSport, SGM/Coral, AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopster View Post
If you're after a coupe but the 135i is too pricey why not consider the 125i? Its got amazing reviews, some say sounds better than the 135i, and in 99.9% of situations you wouldnt need any more power than it gives you. Super smooth, free revving, 6 cyl screaming power, no rattles and no one thinking u have a taxi. If u dont mind higher tax and mpg isnt an issue then its a great choice. I do less than 5k miles per year so fuel costs arent an issue, but BOY those 5k miles are a lot more enjoyable in a 6cyl petrol which is what BMW are famous for after all.
Just to add - BMW diesels are amazing, and the figures speak for themselves. If I was doing the miles and/or paying the tax, it's a no-brainer. Does that redeem me?
Appreciate 0