E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Weird noise when backing up

09-03-2009, 10:53 PM   #1
mf86
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328xDrive Coupe

Weird noise when backing up

I have a 2009 328 xDrive Coupe with a manual transmission.

When backing up tonight, I noticed a very weird noise...hard to describe but it was definitely a mechanical noise, either grinding/rubbing, or something.

I have a relatively tight driveway and backing into my garage does require turning the steering wheel almost all the way right, so I'm not sure if this had something to do with it (I was backing into the garage when I heard the noise).

Other than the noise when backing up, the car doesn't exhibit any other symptoms of a problem.

Think its anything to worry about?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2009, 06:33 AM   #2
stuynet
Private
Rep
Drives: Wishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mf86 View Post
I have a 2009 328 xDrive Coupe with a manual transmission.

When backing up tonight, I noticed a very weird noise...hard to describe but it was definitely a mechanical noise, either grinding/rubbing, or something.

I have a relatively tight driveway and backing into my garage does require turning the steering wheel almost all the way right, so I'm not sure if this had something to do with it (I was backing into the garage when I heard the noise).

Other than the noise when backing up, the car doesn't exhibit any other symptoms of a problem.

Think its anything to worry about?

I think I have the same problem as you. But I hear it when the car goes forward. When I'm coming into my garage at slow speed I press the brakes lightly and it makes a grinding kind of noise. Also, when I turn the wheels left/right it makes a grinding noise also. I scheduled an appoint to take it in.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2009, 12:58 PM   #3
aesfah
Max Powers
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Jack the car up and slide under, see if any part of the drive shaft is rubbing against the heat shield the surrounds the exhaust. Mine made a metallic grinding noise because I ran over something that lodged the heat shield into the drive shaft assembly. If that's your problem too, it's an easy fix because the aluminum metal is so flimsy you can mold it with simple tools or your bare hands.
Appreciate 0