E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Boost gauge= a/c not working?????

08-31-2009, 09:33 PM   #1
Jonny550
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i Xdrive

Boost gauge= a/c not working?????

hay guys i was installing a boost gauge today (prosport) and i hardwired all the wires from the + connection with the red cap on top of it in the engine bay and grounded the wires with an existing bolt right next to the OCc (oil catch can). long story short the boost gauge stays on all the time never goes off even when i shut the car off (but works fine). and my ac doesnot work.

heres where i tried wiring it first

1. White,orange,red wires all tried to be connected to the light in the glove compartment Via splicing wires but did not work

2. tried doing the exact thing with the ciggarette lighter wires via splicing the RED/Black wires and THick brown wires but it did not work

3. Wired the white,orange,red wires to the positive connection in the engine bay and grounded the - wire via a bolt on the engine compartment

so witch once of these could have caused the A/c heated seats and rear shade to go out?

any sort of suggestion would be welcome .

Appreciate 0
      08-31-2009, 09:53 PM   #2
Jonny550
Brigadier General
Rep

bump

Appreciate 0
      09-01-2009, 10:45 AM   #3
Jonny550
Brigadier General
Rep

bump

Appreciate 0
      09-01-2009, 11:31 AM   #4
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

check out the fuses...definitely blown fuse
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2009, 11:53 AM   #5
Jonny550
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
check out the fuses...definitely blown fuse
i think so do you think it would be better to leave the ground wire where it is and get the + wires to the cig lighter ?

Appreciate 0
      09-01-2009, 11:58 AM   #6
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon335iFL View Post
i think so do you think it would be better to leave the ground wire where it is and get the + wires to the cig lighter ?
why didn't you just use the ground from the cigarette lighter while your already feeding the positive from there??
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2009, 12:07 PM   #7
Jonny550
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
why didn't you just use the ground from the cigarette lighter while your already feeding the positive from there??
because iam guessing from what it seemed like that the ground wire from the cig lighter (thick brown) wasnt good enough. we tried splicing the red/black and thr brown wires to it but it didnt work.Now iam thinking to leave the ground wire where it is (in the engine) and rewire the + wire to the cig lighter that way the boost gauge will go off when i shut off the car

Appreciate 0
      09-01-2009, 12:45 PM   #8
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

the boost guage should be hooked up to a switched power which the cig ligher has, so yeah it would be wise to hook it up to that wire..
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2009, 12:51 PM   #9
Jonny550
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
the boost guage should be hooked up to a switched power which the cig ligher has, so yeah it would be wise to hook it up to that wire..
thx for the help bro problem solved

Appreciate 0
      09-01-2009, 01:29 PM   #10
RiXst3r
Rep
Drives: M235i

I am not 100% familar with your specific prosport gauge, but it probably asks for constant power, switched power, and dimmer. You can get the switched power and dimmer from the ashtray, and get the constant power from a fuse tap in the fuse box. This is the best way. You should probably go digging in your fuse box anyways, since it sounds like you fried some stuff... just be careful to not get them mixed up, only check one at a time, use a flashlight... get out your manual and follow its directions for checking and replacing fuses.

Quote:
hay guys i was installing a boost gauge today (prosport) and i hardwired all the wires from the + connection with the red cap on top of it in the engine bay and grounded the wires with an existing bolt right next to the OCc (oil catch can). long story short the boost gauge stays on all the time never goes off even when i shut the car off (but works fine). and my ac doesnot work.
You probably don't want the gauge to stay on like that... you should wire it to a line that is powered only when the ignition is on.

Quote:
heres where i tried wiring it first
1. White,orange,red wires all tried to be connected to the light in the glove compartment Via splicing wires but did not work
Not a good place to tap, this lighting is not designed to have extra load on it.

Quote:
2. tried doing the exact thing with the ciggarette lighter wires via splicing the RED/Black wires and THick brown wires but it did not work
This is where you should tap, although you might have blown the fuse. Check if your socket still works... the car must have the ignition on for this to power up.

Quote:
3. Wired the white,orange,red wires to the positive connection in the engine bay and grounded the - wire via a bolt on the engine compartment
Seems a bit overkill, but I guess that works... you should probably have used a fuse tap in the fuse box instead.

Quote:
so witch once of these could have caused the A/c heated seats and rear shade to go out?
You probably shorted something... check your fuse box.

EDIT, I see everyone else already solved this... glad to here. I typed this post up before lunch, but never submitted it, so I posted it anyway... lol

-Rick
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2009, 02:12 PM   #11
Jonny550
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiXst3r View Post
I am not 100% familar with your specific prosport gauge, but it probably asks for constant power, switched power, and dimmer. You can get the switched power and dimmer from the ashtray, and get the constant power from a fuse tap in the fuse box. This is the best way. You should probably go digging in your fuse box anyways, since it sounds like you fried some stuff... just be careful to not get them mixed up, only check one at a time, use a flashlight... get out your manual and follow its directions for checking and replacing fuses.

You probably don't want the gauge to stay on like that... you should wire it to a line that is powered only when the ignition is on.

Not a good place to tap, this lighting is not designed to have extra load on it.

This is where you should tap, although you might have blown the fuse. Check if your socket still works... the car must have the ignition on for this to power up.

Seems a bit overkill, but I guess that works... you should probably have used a fuse tap in the fuse box instead.

You probably shorted something... check your fuse box.

EDIT, I see everyone else already solved this... glad to here. I typed this post up before lunch, but never submitted it, so I posted it anyway... lol

-Rick
thanks rick pm me with a price for your boost gauge

nothing vented just a mounted pod the cheap stuff my buddy wants 1 thanks.

Appreciate 0