E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 328/335 vs a5/s5 Personal Experience

08-30-2009, 06:31 PM   #1
BaLLzZz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

328/335 vs a5/s5 Personal Experience

I haven't ever really made a contributing post to someone looking for a new car. So here goes a try.

I currently own a e92 335i with all options except radar cruise. I have been in the market for a new car for some time now and have finally made my decision but that's neither here nor there. I am going to talk about these two cars in depth somewhat. Lets starts with the Audi

The victim - 2009 Audi a5 sline optioned out. So a friend said lets switch for the night. I was all ears for this because before buying my 335 I ordered but never went threw with he purchase of an s5. The a5 in comparison to the 335 is apples to oranges in a powers sense but we will not get into that. Because my brother owns a 328 and we can compare power there but I am just giving a total overall opinion of the car.

For starters I must say the lines on the car are very sexy and beautiful. Walter di Salva did an amazing job with this car. It truly is a master piece. One of the most stunning coupes under 100k IMHO. The interior on the sline has alcantara inserts with white stitching accent also a very nice touch. The navi/mmi is also very nice. That's where it all stops for me. The car has such a non linear unconnected overweight feel to her. The steering is so light I can turn the wheel with my pinky. Im not 100% on the actual weight of the car but the feeling of the weight is there and under steer is an issue. The quattro is great for what it is but with an auto box it just isn't too pleasant. My cousin has a 6mt b7 a4 and the quattro feels better when controlled threw a conventional gearbox. Overall the car is a nice car but DEFIANTLY not a drivers car. If you like a nice looking new car then its defiantly an option. If you drive and put your cars threw its paces then I would steer clear.

My baby - 08 e92 n54 lOl. What can I say every time I drive something else it makes me LOVE and APPRECIATE BMW even more so. The weight of the wheel the connection to the road. How perfectly I fit into my sport seats and my arms rest on the door and middle arm rest. The overall vantage point and non blind spots. The linear feel of the power delivery. The fun of rwd. Some of you guys may say im comparing apples to oranges here but if I had a choice e92 328 or a5 again I would have to take the 328 and that's solely based on driving. That's my review hoped I helped anyone in the market for either.

01 e46 m54 - Current : 14 f10 n26 - Boring & Gone : 15 f30 n26 - Current : 08 e92 n54 - Gone & Missed!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2009, 07:09 PM   #2
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

I live in Manhattan have an 07 335i with sport package. It is a weekend car and I rarely drive it in NYC other than to leave the city and return. It is a pleasure to drive on the highway and on country roads. As a NYC car it is absolutely unbearable even after I replaced the run flats.

CA
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2009, 10:54 PM   #3
Azrielsc
Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

I agree with ur points. See my personal review here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...8&postcount=65
      08-30-2009, 11:11 PM   #4
TheAcAvenger
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 R35 GTR / 2007 E92 335i

Hmmm, I'm not sure how I compare them after logging over 5k miles in each.

I definitely agree with everyone's interior/exterior opinions, but I'm not as down on the S5's driving feel as others have been.

Having logged a a few thousand miles in an M-sport E39 (back when BMW actually gave you the real deal suspension when you spent thousands on a package), I found the stock e92 steering to be pathetically soft. It didn't feel anything like the "older" bmw's did. In fact, I hated it.

After driving a few Audi's for short periods of time, I was extremely pleasantly surprised with the way the S5 felt. It felt a lot more composed than my stock e92 did. It didn't tramline, it didn't bounce, and it was noticeably flatter.

You guys must be doing some serious work to understeer it. I've been hardpressed to find a corner the S5 couldn't handle at an equal speed as my stock e92. At this point, through all of the mods, I find the S5 to be an absolute snoozefest to drive when compared to my 335. But stock for stock, I don't really think the 335i feels better in any way shape or form minus the fact that it feels faster because it feels lighter.

I love the love everyone on this site has for their e9xs, but I just dont think they feel anywhere as good as the older bmw's did in their prime. I can't disconnect that comparison to be objective in comparing to the S5. The S5 to me is a great handling Audi and the 335i is an average handling BMW. It's funny that an average handling BMW is as capable as a great handling Audi, but the separation gap between them has a lot to do with favorite car bias.

I'm, admittedly, at the point where I love my e92 a whole lot more than the S5... but i'm not going to lie and say it didn't take me a whole lot of parts before I felt that way.
2018 R35 GT-R Cicio800 | 2007 E92 335i - RB Turbos, TC Kline DA Coils, HPA M3 Suspension, Quaife LSD, Stoptech BBK, JB4, FuelIT, AR Downpipes, RDSport Quads, Stett OC, Helix IC, Volk TE-37, Vorsteiner V-35, OSS Headlights | Retired - 2015 F82 M4
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2009, 11:29 PM   #5
JoeyBananaz18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: metrocard

take the S5s body and interior, and put it on the 335 chasis. then tuck the N54 under the hood= win.
7/18/09- I pick up my baby- 2009 E92 335i Xdrive, Space Gray over Coral Red. Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, M-Sport Pkg, 193Ms, Gloss Black grills, Custom Gloss Black Mirrors, Performance shift and E-brake boot, M3 spoiler, Euro fog switch, gloss black interior tim, Coco-Mats (red/black), H&R coilovers, 19'' Alufelgen SF-71s......
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2009, 12:28 AM   #6
samchoi604
Colonel
Rep
Drives: black on black

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaLLzZz View Post
I haven't ever really made a contributing post to someone looking for a new car. So here goes a try.

I currently own a e92 335i with all options except radar cruise. I have been in the market for a new car for some time now and have finally made my decision but that's neither here nor there. I am going to talk about these two cars in depth somewhat. Lets starts with the Audi

The victim - 2009 Audi a5 sline optioned out. So a friend said lets switch for the night. I was all ears for this because before buying my 335 I ordered but never went threw with he purchase of an s5. The a5 in comparison to the 335 is apples to oranges in a powers sense but we will not get into that. Because my brother owns a 328 and we can compare power there but I am just giving a total overall opinion of the car.

For starters I must say the lines on the car are very sexy and beautiful. Walter di Salva did an amazing job with this car. It truly is a master piece. One of the most stunning coupes under 100k IMHO. The interior on the sline has alcantara inserts with white stitching accent also a very nice touch. The navi/mmi is also very nice. That's where it all stops for me. The car has such a non linear unconnected overweight feel to her. The steering is so light I can turn the wheel with my pinky. Im not 100% on the actual weight of the car but the feeling of the weight is there and under steer is an issue. The quattro is great for what it is but with an auto box it just isn't too pleasant. My cousin has a 6mt b7 a4 and the quattro feels better when controlled threw a conventional gearbox. Overall the car is a nice car but DEFIANTLY not a drivers car. If you like a nice looking new car then its defiantly an option. If you drive and put your cars threw its paces then I would steer clear.

My baby - 08 e92 n54 lOl. What can I say every time I drive something else it makes me LOVE and APPRECIATE BMW even more so. The weight of the wheel the connection to the road. How perfectly I fit into my sport seats and my arms rest on the door and middle arm rest. The overall vantage point and non blind spots. The linear feel of the power delivery. The fun of rwd. Some of you guys may say im comparing apples to oranges here but if I had a choice e92 328 or a5 again I would have to take the 328 and that's solely based on driving. That's my review hoped I helped anyone in the market for either.
If you have Audi Drive Select, you can change the settings to make the car feel more like a sports car should. Stiffened suspension and steering wheel. Did you give that a try?

Appreciate 0
      08-31-2009, 12:44 AM   #7
Azrielsc
Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by samchoi604 View Post
If you have Audi Drive Select, you can change the settings to make the car feel more like a sports car should. Stiffened suspension and steering wheel. Did you give that a try?
Even with Dynamic settings on, the steering still feels soft as compared to the bimmer. That's my only handling gripe. Other than that, the S5 is real composed through the corners, and of course the AWD helps!
      08-31-2009, 08:22 AM   #8
reprod
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3 ZCP

I thought the OP tested an A5 S-Line... not an S5. This might equate for the difference in feel. A5 does not have though Dynamic Comfort settings.

I can relate with the OP. My brother owns an A5 so I get to drive it often and the road feel is definitely not there but the nice thing is that the suspension is smooth. I feel very disconnected from the road when driving it so I tend not to drive it hard (not to mention it isnt my car!!!)

Car is still sexy though... we always do the city cruises together (back to back) with the ladies in the passenger seat.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2009, 09:00 AM   #9
grieverr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F32

I just recently bought a 335 after also test driving an A5.

At the time, I was driving a 2006 330xi. When I drove the Audi, despite the higher numbers, it felt slower than the 330. The acceleration is too smooth, if that makes any sense. I guess that's what people mean by "disconnect". I didn't feel the engine revving, nor did I feel my head get pushed back, even if slightly. In other words, I didn't feel like I knew exactly what was going on with the car. The handling was the same, with that "too smooth" feel.

So like most people would say, the Audi definitely has the looks, although that's subjective since a lot of people I asked said they preferred the looks on the BMW. But the BMW is definitely better suited for the enthusiast driver.

Also, BMW maintenance and warranty is more comprehensive then Audi, so you end up getting more for your dollar.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2009, 09:38 AM   #10
jeveryday
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i xDrive

thansk man... i was actually looking into this.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2009, 09:49 AM   #11
Nalod
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i

An Sline with the 3.2 thru a tiptronic will never give the "road" feel of a 335 coupe (it has sport!).

ANd not everyone likes the "road" feel so Audi kind of goes middle of the road. Audi is more comfortable and a bit bigger. It would feel slow based on the dynamics of its design.

A 50 year old man might like the Audi mix better. That does not make one better than the other except for preference.

A5 sline with tip is like 328 with Steptronic and the M-sport look-at-me package.

Neither is how I would go about it, but thats my preference.

328 inline moter is much sweeter than the v-6 audi!

In most cases, those who really prefer the Audi are not on a BMW site, or any site for that matter. THey are happy in any event.

I love the A5! BUt I don't want a turbo, which you have to get to get a MT.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2009, 10:07 AM   #12
madmanhiker
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 335i

Garage List
great info and dialogue... I really like this site!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2009, 10:09 AM   #13
singhbmw23
PUNJABI KING
India
Rep
Drives: aw e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmanhiker View Post
great info and dialogue... I really like this site!
+1
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2009, 10:17 AM   #14
TheAcAvenger
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 R35 GTR / 2007 E92 335i

I wonder if the distaste comes FROM the driving dynamics product. How does that work? Is it the same stuff they put in the A8? I only have experience on the S5 WITHOUT it so i'm wondering if it actually has a less performance oriented feel to it, as is the case when comparing the A6 sportline and the A6 with the adjustable suspension... the A6 sports suspension is significantly harder
2018 R35 GT-R Cicio800 | 2007 E92 335i - RB Turbos, TC Kline DA Coils, HPA M3 Suspension, Quaife LSD, Stoptech BBK, JB4, FuelIT, AR Downpipes, RDSport Quads, Stett OC, Helix IC, Volk TE-37, Vorsteiner V-35, OSS Headlights | Retired - 2015 F82 M4
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2009, 04:34 PM   #15
BaLLzZz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Im happy to have lent a hand to some on this topic.

01 e46 m54 - Current : 14 f10 n26 - Boring & Gone : 15 f30 n26 - Current : 08 e92 n54 - Gone & Missed!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2009, 05:56 PM   #16
jlstyle
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Porsche Panamera

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Yea, A5/S5 is definately a nice car. I sat in S5 before and man it was so damn nice!
My car felt like a civic after playing with S5 a bit, those seats, interior controls and overall ergonamics, damn I haven't been so sold on a car's interior for a while.
But I haven't driven one so I'll stop here.
Appreciate 0