E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Procede in dash boost display suggestion...

08-19-2009, 05:09 PM   #1
Glowin
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35 & 335i now - M2/M4 next?

Procede in dash boost display suggestion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Ok... digital it is. What's cool is that we may even be able to get it to read more than just boost and mpg. We could have it display things like ignition advance, throttle angle, fuel trim, etc,. The user could set-up the display option with the PROcede user software or by some type of user input (throttle pressing, button on the dash, remote fob, etc,.)

shiv
Shiv, I know at some point you're planning on getting to it, so here's an idea in the meantime. If I understood correctly, you'll be displaying the boost pressure as a number in PSI's, right?

I know you've said you prefer to see boost via a needle/analog type ideally. So how about something visual in the dash, like having a bunch of vertical bars (all same height) light up from left to right to indicate increasing boost? Let's say 8 bars, and each would equal 2 PSI. Would that be possible? Are there enough pixels in the dash? Sort of like the "flow" bars on this gauge, that I've outlined in the red box.

PS You can leave out the S and B, though you could leave them in to indicate Safe and Boom!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-19-2009, 11:24 PM   #2
KnuckleZ
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 09 AW 335i Sedan

Garage List
2009 335i  [0.00]
i can speak for myself and probably many others, when driving, a needle display or digital numeric readout is ideal. Makes it easier to read the gauge.

With what you are talking about, it would be more time consuming to decode how many bars are lit and compute to a psi.

I had a wms wideband o2 sensor on my truck with a numeric display readout. It literally took a quick glance (< .5 sec) to read the gauge.

Clever thinking, but dont see it being an improvement. What would be nice is, to incorporate a bright light into a gauge that would brightly illuminate when you have a overboost (boostcreep) condition or an abnormal lean condition to let you know when to let off the throttle. Having the value be user adjustable is even a plus.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2009, 09:49 AM   #3
dmurray14
The Stig
United_States
Rep
Drives: Quickly

Guys, I can't speak for Shiv but having played around with some of this stuff myself, I think what you're expecting is out of the realm of possibilities. It will be amazing enough to hijack one of the signals to the instrument cluster and display boost instead of, say, MPG. To expect a custom-designed graphic display in the cluster is probably pretty unrealistic, however. That would require flashing new software for the cluster itself, which is probably not worth the effort it would take to figure out how to do that.
      08-20-2009, 03:58 PM   #4
lamia2super
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by got psi View Post
how about an iphone PROcede app?..... ahem... *cough*
+1
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2009, 04:35 PM   #5
Chefcg1
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by got psi View Post
how about an iphone PROcede app?..... ahem... *cough*
+2, what ever happened to all the iphone app ideas?
2008 335i coupe AW 6AT, RB Turbos, PROcede 2.5 V5, Alpina Flash, Injen Intake, VK MW DP . Helix IC, Vishnu PnP Meth(M10 nozzel), M3 sides, OEM Aero Lip, VMR V710 Midnight Blue, LUX H8, HID Fogs, M3 front bits, D2 Coilovers, Whiteline Rear Bushing inserts, Custom M3 Steering Wheel, Cyba scoops, M2 Performance Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2009, 05:21 PM   #6
dmurray14
The Stig
United_States
Rep
Drives: Quickly

ahhh you guys are killing me. what happened was i didn't have time to get into objective-c and things took off at work, we're just starting to chill out with it now. still haven't heard back from my vendor after a couple calls on the hardware, so it may be time to talk to someone else.

clearly you guys are interested, so i'll get back on it

there aren't enough hours in a day!