E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Stett CAI installed on 2009 LCI M-Sport - curious differences.

08-18-2009, 12:41 AM   #1
Borsig
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: '09 335i ///M-Sport

Stett CAI installed on 2009 LCI M-Sport - curious differences.

Bought a used stett CAI from a member here and figured I'd go ahead and tackle the install...

I did it without any instructions, other than going by members photos and Boosted IS's review. (thank god for that)

First, I think the diverter flex hoses MAY be different on my 2009.5 LCI. They seem shorter than Ive seen in any of the photos of the Stett CAI installed. I may very well be wrong but WOW, what a bitch to get the main intake pipe on this thing around that front flex hose.

Secondly - on the 2009 M-sport there is NO panel to remove between the fog light and brake air duct. This concerns me. I am wondering if the intake is actually struggling for air in there behind the fender liner.

It honestly doesnt sound any different, revving it at a standstill, or at an idle. But once you load the turbos and generate some boost you sure hear it. And when the diverters open up when you lift from loaded boost, it almost sounds like a quiet BOV.

As for the butt dyno - I really dont do one. Any preceived gain is proably just the cool factor of the sound of it and me pushing it a bit harder.

All in all its a neat intake, but I am seriously worried about how much Air I am really getting from inside that fender liner, with not having a hole in the lower grille up front. It doesnt seem like it has anywahere to draw air from unless I pop the brake duct out of the front bumper.

Also - there is no bracket or 16mm botls that Boosted referred to on my car.. This agin must be either beacause it is LCI, M-Sport or both.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2009, 12:23 PM   #2
Terrance28
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Crimson Red E92

Pics or ban. So between your fog light and the brake duct there isn't an opening in the grill? Oh I see you have an e90.
      08-18-2009, 04:40 PM   #3
Borsig
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: '09 335i ///M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrance28 View Post
Pics or ban. So between your fog light and the brake duct there isn't an opening in the grill? Oh I see you have an e90.
yes and yes...

I didnt take any pics, it was about midnight when I was working on it.

The install is different though and I wonder if it is starving for air?

I hate to remove the brake duct.
Appreciate 0