BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-14-2009, 06:33 AM   #1
Yuzi
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

128i INJEN intake installed

My intake has finally arrived and I installed and tested it right away.
Here is a comparison of the intake noise level. Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW94TuPfHus

I'll post a comparison of the speed later...so far I can feel the throttle more responsive than stock and more power coming at about 3500rpm to 5000rpm then even more power from 5000rpm to 7000rpm. At 0rpm-3500rpm the car sound not much of a difference than stock. I took my buddy for a ride before and after installing the intake. He said he could feel there is a rush at high rpm and the car wanting to go more than stock. I didn't do a dyno so I cannot tell any numbers if it's like what INJEN claim +12hp and +6torque. One thing for sure that the car sounds much much better and there is a difference during the rev and acceleration in a positive way.

128i | Jet Black | Premium package | Sport package | 18" Style 263 | 6MT | Injen Intake | BMS PowerBox |SOLD

Last edited by Yuzi; 08-15-2009 at 06:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 11:21 PM   #2
Fireflyer239
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, Jeep, Ducati & Harley

Wish I caught you before the install, I would have requested you do what I've found to be the best method of charting any changes without having a dyno: comparing roll-on accelleration times. I used this method very effectively when tuning the fuel injection controller on my Harley Road King, and when I added aftermarket air intake and exhaust to the same bike.

I say this because time after time in these forums, owners will make a change and then try to guess whether they think there is an improvement or not, or maybe they're sure it's faster because it sounds faster or something! I prefer something a bit more scientific, and it's easy.

All you need is a stopwatch and a piece of good road. You could do say, 60 - 80 mph times in 4th and 6th gears, which would give a good rpm range. Do 4 or 5 of each and average the results compared to stock. Now - you'll have some actual data for comparison. You won't know exactly how many horsies or ft/lbs you gained but who cares? You'll know for sure whether you got more than just noise for your money, and you won't pay a thin dime for dyno time.

Aside from that, good luck - I'm also considering the Injen for my 128. My biggest concern is about noise in normal driving, as I sometimes carry a client and don't want annoying droning under normal driving conditions. Any detail you can report is much appreciated! Thanks for hearing my suggestions dude.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2009, 12:22 AM   #3
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Sedona 1er|Yellow S3|NardoTTRS

I just got my injen intake as well Hopefully I'll be doing a dyno next Sunday. One before the install and 2nd after install.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2009, 03:16 AM   #4
Yuzi
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireflyer239 View Post
Wish I caught you before the install, I would have requested you do what I've found to be the best method of charting any changes without having a dyno: comparing roll-on accelleration times. I used this method very effectively when tuning the fuel injection controller on my Harley Road King, and when I added aftermarket air intake and exhaust to the same bike.

I say this because time after time in these forums, owners will make a change and then try to guess whether they think there is an improvement or not, or maybe they're sure it's faster because it sounds faster or something! I prefer something a bit more scientific, and it's easy.

All you need is a stopwatch and a piece of good road. You could do say, 60 - 80 mph times in 4th and 6th gears, which would give a good rpm range. Do 4 or 5 of each and average the results compared to stock. Now - you'll have some actual data for comparison. You won't know exactly how many horsies or ft/lbs you gained but who cares? You'll know for sure whether you got more than just noise for your money, and you won't pay a thin dime for dyno time.

Aside from that, good luck - I'm also considering the Injen for my 128. My biggest concern is about noise in normal driving, as I sometimes carry a client and don't want annoying droning under normal driving conditions. Any detail you can report is much appreciated! Thanks for hearing my suggestions dude.

quick ans for u there is no extra noise unless u do a rapid acceleration above 3.5k. anything below 3.5k no noise just like stock. I did made a video and editing now..hold on

128i | Jet Black | Premium package | Sport package | 18" Style 263 | 6MT | Injen Intake | BMS PowerBox |SOLD
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2009, 03:41 AM   #5
e82vette
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

butt dyno is all it matters isn't it???
yuzi let me drive your car, and i will tell you if its faster than mine
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2009, 06:16 AM   #6
Yuzi
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e82vette View Post
butt dyno is all it matters isn't it???
yuzi let me drive your car, and i will tell you if its faster than mine
I'll post some 0-100km later....just gonna find a good spot to film it

Appreciate 0
      08-16-2009, 07:54 PM   #7
wmj73
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp, 440i GC

Garage List
2008   [0.00]
2020 BMW M2 Comp  [0.00]
I received mine last tuesday and installed it the same day. Its FANTASTIC, really allows the engine to rev much easier and I also agree with YUZI's observations re. more push after 3k and sounds stock under 3k. Its a must for all 128i and 125i drivers.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2009, 08:55 AM   #8
ethermal
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 128i sport package

sound is bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuzi View Post
quick ans for u there is no extra noise unless u do a rapid acceleration above 3.5k. anything below 3.5k no noise just like stock. I did made a video and editing now..hold on
I disagree with this assessment there is actually quite a bit more noise and not in a good way as matter of fact all of my friends have opined that they dislike the sound of car with the injen intake. There is also internal resonance that occurs at about 4000 rpms at partial throttle now this resonance can be heard from the driver's seat but it is almost unbearable in the passengers seat. I've been driving with the injen for a couple of months now and I am actively looking for ways to either improve the sound (baffling, isolation, etc) or am going to get rid of it. I must say that I am happy with the throttle response that the intake delivers but that is it.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2009, 07:33 PM   #9
Yuzi
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethermal View Post
I disagree with this assessment there is actually quite a bit more noise and not in a good way as matter of fact all of my friends have opined that they dislike the sound of car with the injen intake. There is also internal resonance that occurs at about 4000 rpms at partial throttle now this resonance can be heard from the driver's seat but it is almost unbearable in the passengers seat. I've been driving with the injen for a couple of months now and I am actively looking for ways to either improve the sound (baffling, isolation, etc) or am going to get rid of it. I must say that I am happy with the throttle response that the intake delivers but that is it.
hmm.... i dun get y u dun like the sound of the intake....coz the reason ppl want an CAI is for the sound and throttle responds it gives. My frds loving the sound they said it sounds like riding a car in GT4 game. I assume the resonace you talking about is the breathing sound that sound like turbo spooling? coz other than that and the low gowling sound I don't hear anything else as you seen in the video clip. I've had Injen CAI in other JDM cars and they were super loud over the whole RPM range. The 128i one is very quite already compare to the other ones. It's only loud when u reach 3.5K. I'll post a new video during my driving and in all RPM range.

btw you drive the 6MT or steptronic?

Appreciate 0
      08-18-2009, 12:01 AM   #10
E92-Lighting
United_States
Rep
Drives: Next Generation LED Lighting

Quote:
My intake has finally arrived and I installed and tested it right away.
Here is a comparison of the intake noise level. Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW94TuPfHus

I'll post a comparison of the speed later...so far I can feel the throttle more responsive than stock and more power coming at about 3500rpm to 5000rpm then even more power from 5000rpm to 7000rpm. At 0rpm-3500rpm the car sound not much of a difference than stock. I took my buddy for a ride before and after installing the intake. He said he could feel there is a rush at high rpm and the car wanting to go more than stock. I didn't do a dyno so I cannot tell any numbers if it's like what INJEN claim +12hp and +6torque. One thing for sure that the car sounds much much better and there is a difference during the rev and acceleration in a positive way.
great choice, we have also been fine with injen intakes for the turbo and non-turbo
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2009, 01:04 AM   #11
cozza
///Mthusiast
Australia
Rep
Drives: M135i (March delivery)

Nice one. Any chance on taking it for a drive to let us hear what it sounds like under load?
      08-18-2009, 10:28 AM   #12
ethermal
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 128i sport package

Quote:
hmm.... i dun get y u dun like the sound of the intake....coz the reason ppl want an CAI is for the sound and throttle responds it gives. My frds loving the sound they said it sounds like riding a car in GT4 game. I assume the resonace you talking about is the breathing sound that sound like turbo spooling? coz other than that and the low gowling sound I don't hear anything else as you seen in the video clip. I've had Injen CAI in other JDM cars and they were super loud over the whole RPM range. The 128i one is very quite already compare to the other ones. It's only loud when u reach 3.5K. I'll post a new video during my driving and in all RPM range.

btw you drive the 6MT or steptronic?
6MT. I have driven (owned) many cars with CAI and I find this to be about the worst I have owned. Matter of fact I have the injen CAI in my mazda 3 and there is a world of difference between the sounds. In the mazda 3 there is no additional sound in the interior until half to full throttle then the sound that does come in sounds great. In the 128 the injen sounds like stock at partial throttle up to 3000 rpms, then from there up sounds terrible at partial throttle. Now at half to full throttle in the 128 the injen sounds pretty good, but this car is fast enough that I barely ever drive the car in half to full throttle, there just isn't enough road ahead of me. I am always driving at partial throttle which is where the injen sounds terrible.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2009, 05:31 PM   #13
raceman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E82

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethermal View Post
In the 128 the injen sounds like stock at partial throttle up to 3000 rpms, then from there up sounds terrible at partial throttle. I am always driving at partial throttle which is where the injen sounds terrible.
It's easy solution for that.
Add good exhaust, it will cover all unwanted frequencies in nice way.

I'm finishing last tuning steps on mine soon.
It will be fully de-cat exhaust system, straight tube with quad rear silencer and Injen intake.
Of course with fully adjusted and fine tuned software to squeeze last drop of power from such combination (so far we are in 295-305 HP range)
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2009, 07:52 PM   #14
Yuzi
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozza View Post
Nice one. Any chance on taking it for a drive to let us hear what it sounds like under load?
Sure I'll do that in the next few days...busy working

Appreciate 0
      08-21-2009, 04:20 PM   #15
Ryan@IND
United_States
Rep
Drives: ACR

thanks for the input.

haven't seen too many 128i in chicago, but would love to hear this in person.
looking to sponsor and do videos if anyone is interested too!
      08-21-2009, 08:49 PM   #16
Jay's128i
Whats up
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 128i  [0.00]
Where are you buying your intake from? I went to the injen website and all I see is for the '35, not the '28i. Can you help me out? Plus, do you think the injen is better or the AFE? All input would be nice.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2009, 03:45 PM   #17
Ryan@IND
United_States
Rep
Drives: ACR

you can buy it from us... we have them in stock!
      12-31-2009, 11:55 PM   #18
BMW125i
Registered
Rep
Drives: Coupe

How much are you selling the Injen intake for the 125i?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2010, 09:22 PM   #19
italiantank26
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [0.00]
I have an Injen in my 128i as well. I installed it in May, so I've had it for 7 months. Can't say anything negative about it. Definetly is louder and more throttle response and easy to install.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2010, 11:44 AM   #20
ManGGouste
Private
Rep
Drives: 125i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmj73 View Post
I received mine last tuesday and installed it the same day. Its FANTASTIC, really allows the engine to rev much easier and I also agree with YUZI's observations re. more push after 3k and sounds stock under 3k. Its a must for all 128i and 125i drivers.
I see you've got a 125i like me.
I've ordered the injen CAI as well. Since I didn't find any for 125 (128 instead) I assume it's the same...

So my question is : did you order the one for 128 or did I miss something ?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2010, 03:50 PM   #21
supraking
Captain
Rep
Drives: 128i Coupe 6MT

Garage List
2009 128i Coupe  [0.00]
Hey guys, how was the install process on the Injen? Easy to put in/take out? I assume you remove the airbox and it connects to the same hose the airbox was connected to? Is it just the one screw to tighten or is it more complicated? Let me know, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2010, 06:19 PM   #22
ulrichd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by italiantank26 View Post
I have an Injen in my 128i as well. I installed it in May, so I've had it for 7 months. Can't say anything negative about it. Definetly is louder and more throttle response and easy to install.
What kind of louder? Does it still sound like a BMW, just meaner, or like a hopped up Corolla with a beer can exhaust?
Appreciate 0