E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > reasonable deal?

07-18-2009, 11:11 AM   #1
jhataki
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 328xi

reasonable deal?

Hello,

sorry for a stupid question and maybe i am posting at a wrong place.

i am shopping for my first car and dont have many experience in negotiating with dealership.

for a 2009 new 328xdrive AT (non metalic color), what would be a reasonable range as for monthly payment?

thanks all.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2009, 12:29 PM   #2
samchoi604
Colonel
Rep
Drives: black on black

1) go to www.bmw.ca

2) use its configurator to build your own car

3) click on Leasing* or Financing* in the box on the top left

4) knock 7-9% off the final value that it shows
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2009, 06:52 PM   #3
w2
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

The dealer's price is about 8-9% less than the MSRP. That's basically the negotiating room they have. Since times are tough, you can probably play hardball (though getting the lowest possible price is not always the best deal in the long run--you may want to make sure you retain a certain amount of goodwill with the dealership, in case you need them to go to bat for you at some point in the future) but they're still going to want to make some profit.

Monthly payment is a derivative figure. You can make pretty much any monthly payment you want, from about two hundred to several thousand dollars, depending on what sort of down payment you make and how long you finance the car and at what rate. Whatever you do, never negotiate for a car (or anything else) in terms of monthly payments. Always negotiate the total purchase price first, before even mentioning whether you want to pay cash, lease, or finance. Two people can have, say, $500/month car payments for the exact same car and yet one may end up spending thousands of dollars more for their car than the other, once you add up all of the costs.

It is worth spending a few dollars to go to some place like carcostcanada.com and getting a pricing report for the car you want. That will tell you what the dealer's invoice price is as well as if there are any known incentives. Knowing what they paid for the car and what sort of rebates they may be able to pass on to you is key to leveling the playing field between you and the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2009, 05:05 PM   #4
jhataki
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by w2 View Post
The dealer's price is about 8-9% less than the MSRP. That's basically the negotiating room they have. Since times are tough, you can probably play hardball (though getting the lowest possible price is not always the best deal in the long run--you may want to make sure you retain a certain amount of goodwill with the dealership, in case you need them to go to bat for you at some point in the future) but they're still going to want to make some profit.

Monthly payment is a derivative figure. You can make pretty much any monthly payment you want, from about two hundred to several thousand dollars, depending on what sort of down payment you make and how long you finance the car and at what rate. Whatever you do, never negotiate for a car (or anything else) in terms of monthly payments. Always negotiate the total purchase price first, before even mentioning whether you want to pay cash, lease, or finance. Two people can have, say, $500/month car payments for the exact same car and yet one may end up spending thousands of dollars more for their car than the other, once you add up all of the costs.

It is worth spending a few dollars to go to some place like carcostcanada.com and getting a pricing report for the car you want. That will tell you what the dealer's invoice price is as well as if there are any known incentives. Knowing what they paid for the car and what sort of rebates they may be able to pass on to you is key to leveling the playing field between you and the dealership.
hello, thanks for your detail info. its very helpful.

For a new 2009 328xdrive, AT, spk package
so, i have gotten quota for approx $720/month (tax,pdi included) for a 4yrs, $0 down, 20K mileage. Do you think if that a reasonable deal? Any chance they could bring it down to $700?

for sure, i want to maintain a good relationship with the dealership, but since this is my first experience shopping for car. I am just a little worried...

thanks again
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2009, 05:18 PM   #5
samchoi604
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhataki View Post
hello, thanks for your detail info. its very helpful.

For a new 2009 328xdrive, AT, spk package
so, i have gotten quota for approx $720/month (tax,pdi included) for a 4yrs, $0 down, 20K mileage. Do you think if that a reasonable deal? Any chance they could bring it down to $700?

for sure, i want to maintain a good relationship with the dealership, but since this is my first experience shopping for car. I am just a little worried...

thanks again
that is a very good deal since you have gotten about 14% off MSRP (normally that would cost $830/month). So yea, go for it.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2009, 08:29 PM   #6
jhataki
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by samchoi604 View Post
that is a very good deal since you have gotten about 14% off MSRP (normally that would cost $830/month). So yea, go for it.
i see.

thanks for the advice.

can we ask the dealers if they could include all season/winter floor mat and key chain too?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2009, 11:09 PM   #7
samchoi604
Colonel
Rep

Absolutely. Those accessories cost very little for the dealer, and your satisfaction is more important.
Appreciate 0