E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > phone question

07-11-2009, 05:04 PM   #1
NoKids
Major
Rep
Drives: ...

Garage List
2008 328i  [0.00]
phone question

My 3 year Bell mobility contract runs out next year. I'm 7 months away from freedom!! So i'm looking around for a new phone. If I were to get an iphone unlocked, am I correct in assuming that I can remove the SIM card (whatever that is) from my current bell cell phone and put it in the iphone for the remainder of the 7 month bell contract? I'll have to turn off 3g in order to not get charged thousands of dollars, or ask bell to put me on a data plan right?
      07-11-2009, 05:19 PM   #2
thecharlie
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 323i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoKids View Post
My 3 year Bell mobility contract runs out next year. I'm 7 months away from freedom!! So i'm looking around for a new phone. If I were to get an iphone unlocked, am I correct in assuming that I can remove the SIM card (whatever that is) from my current bell cell phone and put it in the iphone for the remainder of the 7 month bell contract? I'll have to turn off 3g in order to not get charged thousands of dollars, or ask bell to put me on a data plan right?
I'm not sure how it is in Ottawa, but in Toronto, Bell is a CDMA provider. They don't use SIM cards, but rather serial numbers on your phone. You wouldn't be able to use GSM (SIM card) phones with Bell such as the iPhone. On the data question, if you were able to use the iPhone, turning off 3G wouldn't be sufficient. Turning off 3G would put you on the EDGE network, which is also data. The only ways for you not to get charged for data is to:

1. Call Bell and ask them to block your data usage
2. If the phone is unlocked, you should be able to modify the APN settings on your phone so that it can't connect to the Bell servers.

But again, GSM phones like the iPhone aren't usable on CDMA providers like Bell, Telus etc. ..at least not in Toronto.
      07-11-2009, 05:31 PM   #3
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep
Drives: 997.2 Porsche C4S

Bell doesn't use GSM so no Sim Cards, Telus is the same.

I might be wrong but i doubt it..
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2009, 05:33 PM   #4
NoKids
Major
Rep
Drives: ...

Garage List
2008 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecharlie View Post
I'm not sure how it is in Ottawa, but in Toronto, Bell is a CDMA provider. They don't use SIM cards, but rather serial numbers on your phone. You wouldn't be able to use GSM (SIM card) phones with Bell such as the iPhone. On the data question, if you were able to use the iPhone, turning off 3G wouldn't be sufficient. Turning off 3G would put you on the EDGE network, which is also data. The only ways for you not to get charged for data is to:

1. Call Bell and ask them to block your data usage
2. If the phone is unlocked, you should be able to modify the APN settings on your phone so that it can't connect to the Bell servers.

But again, GSM phones like the iPhone aren't usable on CDMA providers like Bell, Telus etc. ..at least not in Toronto.
thanks.
      07-11-2009, 06:07 PM   #5
dpwr
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a good one

why spend $900 on iphone, just wait until bell contract is done and get iphone for $199 from rogers with 3 year deal
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2009, 06:33 PM   #6
shipill
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Macan S

wait 7 mounths get and an iphone 3GS from rogers with 3 years contract for $199
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2009, 05:40 PM   #7
G-Mach1
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F34 - 2014 335 xi

If your contract is running out in 7 months, you are in a very good place.
Both Telus and Bell is going to implemet the UMTS network. The rumour is Bell will launch the UMTS net work atound 2010 just before the Olympics and Telus is going to roll out the network around Dec 09.
Now about the iPhone, again the industry rumour is that Telus and bell have signed a contract with Apple and they will carry the iPhone when they roll out the new network. However it doesn't look like there will be break in the price for the iPhone however you may be able to get a better package than Rogers.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2009, 05:46 PM   #8
Me_Hi
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: *

whatever you do, don't get the storm. whaaat a shit box !!!! And I have two of them, not knowing how bad they are, I bought one for my girl too.
Appreciate 0