E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > CPO Value feddback

07-10-2009, 10:46 PM   #1
slenfe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

CPO Value feddback

Copying my post from other site as I am inerested in follow Canadian thoughts here.

I hope this is not a repeat thread but I am looking for input from owners which has been through/about two the three years of CPO.

Basically I am looking for e90 2006 325 and I am trying to confirm if the average 5 K cost difference between non BMW dealer vs CPO is justifiable.

further to be more specific I am curious to know if:

1- after the 4th year of intial manifacture warranty and during the extra two years CPO you had work covered by CPO done on the car worth close or more than 5K

2- Understanding that BMW CPO has to brought to high standard before been sold; did you feel that dealers did try to cut corner here and address issues more under warranty.

Thank you for your inputs/thoughts
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2009, 02:12 AM   #2
M3 vert
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F10 M5, E93 M3, '12 750ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by slenfe View Post
Copying my post from other site as I am inerested in follow Canadian thoughts here.

I hope this is not a repeat thread but I am looking for input from owners which has been through/about two the three years of CPO.

Basically I am looking for e90 2006 325 and I am trying to confirm if the average 5 K cost difference between non BMW dealer vs CPO is justifiable.

1- after the 4th year of intial manifacture warranty and during the extra two years CPO you had work covered by CPO done on the car worth close or more than 5K

2- Understanding that BMW CPO has to brought to high standard before been sold; did you feel that dealers did try to cut corner here and address issues more under warranty.

I think CPO is worth the extra $5,000.

CPO cars have a good maintenance track record

Non-accidental and usually not repainted either

Amazing Finance rates to enjoy!

Peace of mind by buying from BMW, any issues you can hold the dealer by its balls!

Great service, if you go back to the selling dealer.

HAve you visited any BMW retailers?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2009, 02:17 AM   #3
M3 vert
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F10 M5, E93 M3, '12 750ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by slenfe View Post

The last 2 years are the most likely years if any issues creep up, depending on how the vehicle was driven earlier. So its like buying insurance, if a warranty claim occurs (i,e something breaks) you are covered.
So the 5K is a premium paid for that uncertainty!

The BMW dealer cant cut corners it pays a flat fee for CPO, and if anything it will reject cars that dont meet the CPO requirements because if they keep bad vehicles on there lot that are CPO'd then the dealer will be in the hole!
Its in the dealer's best interest to keep the best cars to be CPOd so it can maintain a healthy profit and image. The image once tarnished can take years to remake, whereas a profit is no biggie. Some days are rainy but you always can get a dry day and sell a ton of cars.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2009, 02:56 AM   #4
samchoi604
Colonel
Rep
Drives: black on black

I'm looking at some 335i's and the price difference between a CPO and a non-CPO is approximately $6k. I personally don't think the extra 2-years of warranty is worth that much if you know for a fact that you will keep your car maintained well, changing oil every 5000km, storing it in a garage, etc.

If it costs $3k/year for repair, then the car is a hunk of garbage and not worth purchasing in the first place.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2009, 07:27 AM   #5
samej
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F22 M240i xDrive MG

I picked up a 2007 E90 335i with CPO. CPO is what actually swayed me from buying a new E90 328i. Because of the in-service date I'm covered for almost 5 years (3 original, 2 CPO) which is better than new, and from what I gather on the threads one HPFP failure at 4 years + 1 day and it would have been worth it.

M3 vert also makes a really good point - building that relationship with your dealer will pay you dividends down the road on service and sales.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2009, 08:45 AM   #6
AW09E92
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW E92

I think CPO is great for its attractive finance rates compared to the outside dealerships. BMW parts are very expensive so you'd be surprised at how fast several hundred dollars add up. Granted if you didn't buy CPO you can service your car else where and cheap garages, but many of these cheap garages don't have the machine to reset codes and upload firmware and all so in the end they take it to the dealership without you knowing to have the software part done. In the end, you think you're getting a great deal on the repair, but in reality your savings are not as big as you may have thought.

In the end when you buy CPO, you're buying the piece of mind that if something goes wrong, there's a BMW dealership there to help. It's almost like an extra piece of insurance.

But if you're buying with cash, it's a much tougher call. It's probably not worth it.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2009, 04:50 PM   #7
slenfe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts; I like to share some further info I gathered today; speaking to a BMW sales Manager he indicated that CPO cost to dealer "just warranty" is around 2K plus what ever cost is required to makes it CPO ready tires, etc.. With an average of 1K.

In a normal condition CPO car should be marked up by 3K; the extra markup is perhaps the extra cost to deal with a BMW "retailer and peace of mind" which seems to bring us up to the 5 K I mentioned.

My conclusion on this topic is as follows

1-For those of us with the need to have peace in mind “CPO all the way”
2-For the one with cash or good private repair shops connection “No CPO”
3-For the one with low on cash but still like the peace in mind “wait till the end of the month and take a stab on a dealer to bring the price down or a CPO car”

One more thought here

Although I do not have a scientific way to back up my words but I believe BMW dealers look at used cars business as more lucrative than new “higher margin + more hours at the service department”.

Timbit to share: in my post at similar forum some contributors were generous to provide repairs done during the CPO time.

On my 325xi:

• Rear Coil Springs (discovered by dealer on service walkthrough)
• Alternator (plus a tow to the dealer)
• A/C compressor (was making noise)
• Front Axle (slight coasting hum)
• Window Regulator (clicking, presumably on the way to failure)
• Headlight Washer Pump
• Side view mirror motor
• CCV (upgrade to cold weather- proactively done by a great SA)
• Belt tensioner (cold start squeal)

On my M3:
• New Transmission (shifting was notchy/stiff)
• Power steering pump
• Washer fluid reservoir (leak)

325i
The only couple times I had to use my CPO warranty was for
- Broken Rear Spring
- GM5 replacement + Programming
- Front Tie Rod seizing/replacement
- Transmission Programming
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2009, 11:56 PM   #8
samchoi604
Colonel
Rep
Drives: black on black

I should add that the extended warranty doesn't cover everything, unlike the original warranty. You should check out the terms and conditions first.

The only deal about a CPO is the interest rate they offer. The "extended warranty" is not very costly to the dealer, nor the "360 degree inspection", nor the "polite manner" and "excellent service."
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2009, 09:10 AM   #9
AW09E92
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW E92

They make sure the threads of the tires at 80%+ and make sure your brake pads are new. If you consider the cost of run flats and the cost of new brakes, you'll know there is some value to be had. Unless you can find a sweet deal privately and have a good shop to check it out for you before you buy, CPO will be a fairly good choice.
Appreciate 0