BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

06-18-2009, 12:21 AM   #1
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Has anybody removed the 3rd brake light assembly on an E92 M3?

I'm getting my tint done Friday, and besides being easier for the guy to do his job (according to me), I want to clean the glass on the inside; it looks like crap, with that greasy haze that develops when new cars sit under the sun with the windows closed.

Don't want to mess anything up (especially the wiring), so any detailed help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2009, 12:44 AM   #2
spoonf20c
let me see you become a ///Monster
Philippines
Rep
Drives: F80

i would like to know as well. i hate it when rear windows are tinted and they go around the third brake light.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2009, 01:15 AM   #3
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
I'm getting my tint done Friday, and besides being easier for the guy to do his job (according to me), I want to clean the glass on the inside; it looks like crap, with that greasy haze that develops when new cars sit under the sun with the windows closed.

Don't want to mess anything up (especially the wiring), so any detailed help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
It's very easy. There is a plastic trim piece between the headliner and the third brake light. You just need to pop that out and then you can see the ribbon cable for the brake light. Unhook that and you can just pull off the brake light.
      06-18-2009, 09:55 AM   #4
JCtx
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
It's very easy. There is a plastic trim piece between the headliner and the third brake light. You just need to pop that out and then you can see the ribbon cable for the brake light. Unhook that and you can just pull off the brake light.
Hey Kev, thanks buddy, but could you elaborate a little bit? Was yanking on it, and it was just creaking; don't want to break the tabs. Just need to know in which direction (straight down, straight back, etc) the trim piece pops out (looking at it from the rear seat) and the brake light pulls off. If you can describe the tabs (and where they were) all the better . Thanks again.

And yes Mike, I also hope to be able to tint that area as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2009, 12:04 PM   #5
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Hey Kev, thanks buddy, but could you elaborate a little bit? Was yanking on it, and it was just creaking; don't want to break the tabs. Just need to know in which direction (straight down, straight back, etc) the trim piece pops out (looking at it from the rear seat) and the brake light pulls off. If you can describe the tabs (and where they were) all the better . Thanks again.

And yes Mike, I also hope to be able to tint that area as well.
From what I remember, there are two tabs on either side of that plastic piece, so if you insert a wedge tool from the top where the headliner meets that plastic piece and pry. It should just pop out.

After that everything should be self-explanatory with regards to unhooking the 3rd brake light and taking it off. It's just held out by traction of the rubber seal.
      11-26-2009, 11:57 PM   #6
SupremeDTM
MEISTERWATCHES.COM
Philippines
Rep
Drives: SG E92 M3

i was looking for a thread like this, thanks! i have a dead bug sitting in there.
      11-27-2009, 12:11 AM   #7
JCtx
Major General
Rep

Forgot about this thread. Instructions were wrong, and almost messed up my housing, so let me give you better ones .

The housing needs to be pried first AT THE WINDOW. It's 'hinged' at the front (3 tabs). Stick your fingers from the sides, close to the window and just pull down. Once the clips pop, you'll have to wiggle the thing backwards (towards the rear window) to disengage the tabs.

Once the housing is off, disconnect the white light connector first (it is not necessary to disconnect the ribbon connector). Then slide out both semi-round knobs at both edges of the light module, and you're done. The knobs lock into place on 2 'studs' glued to the window, so a bit of force is necessary to unlock them. Hope this helps man.
Appreciate 0