E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > guyz don't laugh at me.....(amp question)

06-15-2009, 01:06 PM   #1
King_666
killing maching
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

guyz don't laugh at me.....(amp question)

ok first don't laugh at me i want to put 2 12" sony explorer subwoofer in the truck (http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodde...52&catid=20119)

i know it's not the top but i think he will keep me from falling a sleep in the car

For the head unit i want to put this: (http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=20900)

i need to know what amp should i use whit this explosif combo
and you can comment even do i know the comment will not be gentle

ps:i'll keep this until i get the computer in the car
new idea coming

Last edited by King_666; 06-16-2009 at 07:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2009, 03:05 PM   #2
King_666
killing maching
Canada
Rep

please help
      06-15-2009, 03:08 PM   #3
Duhst
That Go
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW e90

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
well its not really a big deal to have subs in your car, i installed a 12'' JBL in my car i love it! just enough bass and i dont sound like some boom boom car.

but usually if you kinda wanna stick with the same brand when you do stuff like that, but it really doesnt matter... you cant just choose an amp the meets the subs info(etc. Ohms,watts,output) that kinda stuff...

but GL with everything! im sure it will sound great!
      06-15-2009, 06:01 PM   #4
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

Sorry for the negative (but honest) comment but the sound coming from that HU will probably be crappy at best. No matter what amp you will choose, you are amplifying a crappy signal so anything after the HU will sound like . The subs are also crap. I think you will be very sorry putting such junk equipment into your bimmer.

Sorry, just my honest opinion.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2009, 08:34 PM   #5
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Ok so now a constructive post. Since you seem to be on a budget I recommend a lower grade model from a reputable company. I like, uh rather love, Alpine. I have had nothing but good experiences with their equipment. Not sure how set you are on having a head unit with a pop out screen, but if you are on a budget and want good sound, there will be no screen in your dash, capiche?

OK, my recommendation for a decent budget system:

Head unit: Alpine CDA-9886 ~ US $ 270
This is the one of the best values you will find. Super sound, strong output signal, great functionality and adjustability, and cool looks
Link: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500CDA9...-9886.html?c=3

Speakers: keep the ones you have for now. You don't seem to care much about SQ, and you can always upgrade later.

Subs: Please, please stay away from Sony, trust me! My recommendation here would be ebay. Get subs from JL Audio, Infinity or Alpine, you won't be sorry unless you buy the very cheap models. Read reviews and decide for yourself, too many models to make a recommendation. Buy the woofers online and get the box locally, that way you won't pay a huge shipping charge. Get a sealed enclosure for tight, punchy bass and a ported one for loud, sloppy bass. That's a general rule and there are exceptions, of course.

Amp: make a wise choice here. Don't go for the ultra cheap stuff because you will be sorry. There are so many good models out there right now at a discounted price, just shop around. Crutchfield is a good place to start. Think about where you would mount the amp for the subs. Would you want to hide it behind a panel or do you want to show it off? That determines what type of amp you should/can get. Digital mono amp if you need it to be out of sight, because they are small and do not produce much heat. Class A/B mono or 2 channel amp if you don't mind having it out in the open in your trunk - usually either on a side panel or screwed to the back of the seats. The size (power) of the amp depends on the sub(s) you get. However, you can easily go 50% over the rms power rating of the subs if you know what you are doing, especially if you are using a sealed enclosure. I would actually recommend you get a 4 channel amp - 2 for the subs in the trunk and 2 for the subs under your seats. You can then use the amp's internal x-overs to send the low frequencies to the trunk and a bandpassed frequency (~ 80 - 150 Hz) to the subs under the seats for mid bass. Between the suggested head unit and a decent amp, you can do that with ease.

Then you can use the head unit to power the front and rear speakers. Keep in mind this will not be a lot of power, but adequate especially since you do not need to play any low frequencies through these speakers.

Get a good installer (shop around) to put it all in - it will be expensive but it must be done right!

The above are just some general guidelines for a decent quality system. Let us know more about what you want to do - after you have educated yourself more and shopped around a bit - and I'm sure you will find some further advice from this board.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2009, 01:24 AM   #6
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

Sony makes great stuff for the home. All of their car audio stuff is complete crap.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2009, 09:38 AM   #7
King_666
killing maching
Canada
Rep

thank guyz yeah something was wrong sony is usally the best (my home theater is sony)
and everything for car look cheap so i'll take the advise

sorry but i want a tv no matter what........

for the head unit:http://cgi.ebay.ca/ALPINE-IVA-D106-7...ayphotohosting

then for steering wheels :http://www.autosoundcentral.com/PAC_..._p/swican2.htm

for now how about this : 2 of those (http://cgi.ebay.ca/INFINITY-IN-CAR-S...3A1%7C294%3A50)

the box :http://cgi.ebay.ca/DUAL-10-SEALED-CA...3A1%7C294%3A50

for the amp: http://cgi.ebay.ca/INFINITY-1600A-IN...3A1%7C294%3A50

how about this one
      06-16-2009, 09:59 AM   #8
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Better. For the subs, I would recommend you spend the extra cash and get Infinity Perfects or any of the JL Audio subs. I would still get the box locally, since you cannot expect it to be sound for only 20 bucks... A well-built box is super important !!! It should be made from MDF, be at least 5/8" thick, and be well sealed.

I cannot say much about the amp except that Infinity makes decent amplifiers.

I think you are on the right track. Make sure the equipment you choose fits well into any future plans you may have with the system (expandability). It will be cheaper in the long run if you buy good quality components up front, cause then you won't find yourself wanting to replace them every 6 months for something better!

Edit: Seriously look at Crutchfield cause warranty is very important plus the option to return within 30 days without any cost to you. You may even find some decent subs there.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2009, 10:38 AM   #9
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

One more thing....actually two. 2 12" subs will generally be a quite a bit louder than 2 10" subs, so keep that in mind. I had 2 12" Infinity Perfects in my last car, and they rocked my car pretty hard with 500W each. With a sealed enclosure, I would never get that earthshaking bass you often hear at traffic lights, but rather very controlled, punchy bass note which is what I love.

The other thing is you do not need dual voice coil subs. Actually, you will want to give your amp a 2 ohm mono load and you cannot achieve that with those subs. Looks for single voice coil 4" subs and you can hook them up in parallel, resulting in a 2 ohm load.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2009, 03:14 PM   #10
King_666
killing maching
Canada
Rep

man the second not that clear me i work with picture.sorry if you could simplify a lil bit that would help
thanks for the advise but a think i missed one point
the budget here:700 (without head unit)
box:?
subs:?
amp:?
capacitor:?
wirering:?
installationthat, i'll go see my self)
      06-16-2009, 05:55 PM   #11
xxxmuzk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: aw 328i e90

hey there,

everyone is giving you great advice, and you would be wise to take their advice, as many of the people on this forum have already blazed the trail, making life as easy as possible for the rest of us! i researched and read a lot on this forum before doing my own system install (yes, thanks once again to the fabulous DIY on this forum!), so i figured i share a few photos. i kept the factory bmw stereo head unit, amp and speakers, but i added an amp and sub box. the subs are (2) JL Audio 10w3v3 (8 ohm) wired in parallel powered by an Alpine PDX 1.600 watt mono amp. i used a monster cable 4 guage wiring kit and the great thing is that the battery is already in the trunk, which combined with the DYI guide i found here, made life easy. i also added a level knob to dial in the perfect amount of bass. hope this gives you some ideas.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-16-2009, 06:25 PM   #12
elim11
Major
Rep
Drives: e90m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaigoss69 View Post
Ok so now a constructive post. Since you seem to be on a budget I recommend a lower grade model from a reputable company. I like, uh rather love, Alpine. I have had nothing but good experiences with their equipment. Not sure how set you are on having a head unit with a pop out screen, but if you are on a budget and want good sound, there will be no screen in your dash, capiche?

OK, my recommendation for a decent budget system:

Head unit: Alpine CDA-9886 ~ US $ 270
This is the one of the best values you will find. Super sound, strong output signal, great functionality and adjustability, and cool looks
Link: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500CDA9...-9886.html?c=3

Speakers: keep the ones you have for now. You don't seem to care much about SQ, and you can always upgrade later.

Subs: Please, please stay away from Sony, trust me! My recommendation here would be ebay. Get subs from JL Audio, Infinity or Alpine, you won't be sorry unless you buy the very cheap models. Read reviews and decide for yourself, too many models to make a recommendation. Buy the woofers online and get the box locally, that way you won't pay a huge shipping charge. Get a sealed enclosure for tight, punchy bass and a ported one for loud, sloppy bass. That's a general rule and there are exceptions, of course.

Amp: make a wise choice here. Don't go for the ultra cheap stuff because you will be sorry. There are so many good models out there right now at a discounted price, just shop around. Crutchfield is a good place to start. Think about where you would mount the amp for the subs. Would you want to hide it behind a panel or do you want to show it off? That determines what type of amp you should/can get. Digital mono amp if you need it to be out of sight, because they are small and do not produce much heat. Class A/B mono or 2 channel amp if you don't mind having it out in the open in your trunk - usually either on a side panel or screwed to the back of the seats. The size (power) of the amp depends on the sub(s) you get. However, you can easily go 50% over the rms power rating of the subs if you know what you are doing, especially if you are using a sealed enclosure. I would actually recommend you get a 4 channel amp - 2 for the subs in the trunk and 2 for the subs under your seats. You can then use the amp's internal x-overs to send the low frequencies to the trunk and a bandpassed frequency (~ 80 - 150 Hz) to the subs under the seats for mid bass. Between the suggested head unit and a decent amp, you can do that with ease.

Then you can use the head unit to power the front and rear speakers. Keep in mind this will not be a lot of power, but adequate especially since you do not need to play any low frequencies through these speakers.

Get a good installer (shop around) to put it all in - it will be expensive but it must be done right!

The above are just some general guidelines for a decent quality system. Let us know more about what you want to do - after you have educated yourself more and shopped around a bit - and I'm sure you will find some further advice from this board.
+1. Great Advise
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2009, 07:53 PM   #13
tres
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bmw 335is 6MT

i have won a few caraudio sq competitons in iasca if you want clean sound you get what you pay for from my experience pioneer premier makes some good hu if you want sound quality (sq) the deh p880 prs is a hu im sure you can get it on ebay for cheap brand new i also had 3 alpine pdx amps which imho is the best for size and power and its digital if youre on a strict budget make sure you match all your speakers and amp wattage if your speakers can push 150 watts rms make sure your amp can also push 150watts rms dont be fooled by the max wattage and dont forget to buy the right gauge wire for your total system power and the right fuse wattage
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2009, 11:48 PM   #14
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep

You really do get what you pay for. The last system I built I use Memphis Audio speakers for my internals and I thought they were great, especially for the money. I'm not sure how their prices are now, but a couple years ago they were awesome.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2009, 07:53 AM   #15
King_666
killing maching
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKay335i View Post
You really do get what you pay for. The last system I built I use Memphis Audio speakers for my internals and I thought they were great, especially for the money. I'm not sure how their prices are now, but a couple years ago they were awesome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tres
i have won a few caraudio sq competitons in iasca if you want clean sound you get what you pay for from my experience pioneer premier makes some good hu if you want sound quality (sq) the deh p880 prs is a hu im sure you can get it on ebay for cheap brand new i also had 3 alpine pdx amps which imho is the best for size and power and its digital if youre on a strict budget make sure you match all your speakers and amp wattage if your speakers can push 150 watts rms make sure your amp can also push 150watts rms dont be fooled by the max wattage and dont forget to buy the right gauge wire for your total system power and the right fuse wattage.

thanks for the great advise but i just cant. the budget is set next car or plane maybe lol.

Question to xxxmzk why did you use a mono amp? you can't power up the two under seat hub with that ??????
      06-17-2009, 11:06 AM   #16
xxxmuzk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: aw 328i e90

i used a mono sub amp for the sub box in the trunk only, NOT to power the woofers under the seats in the passenger compartment. those woofers are still being powered by the factory amp, along with the rest of the factory speakers. hope this answers your question.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2009, 03:47 PM   #17
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep

You can run the subs in parallel and use a mono amp in the trunk.

If I were you I would take it step by step. Start with just subs in the trunk and forget about the HU. You'll regret buying crappy subs. Buy new and buy quality. Check out RF subs. People say they suck because they're not ridiculously expensive. The p1 and p2 subs make great low cost options. I've still got a set in my garage that I'd shove in the e90 but the box wont fit in the trunk.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2009, 04:06 PM   #18
King_666
killing maching
Canada
Rep

guyz really thanks for help
ok thanks i'll take look and btw MTX (750max 750rms) and Infinity(1000max 250rms) 12 inch what is the best ?
and i'm going for a mono amp and does i need to have 8ohm ?
      06-18-2009, 09:50 AM   #19
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_666 View Post
guyz really thanks for help
ok thanks i'll take look and btw MTX (750max 750rms) and Infinity(1000max 250rms) 12 inch what is the best ?
and i'm going for a mono amp and does i need to have 8ohm ?
Most amps will put out the most power into a 2 ohm load. That's why I recommended to you to get two 4 ohm subs. When you wire them in parallel, it will be a 2 ohm load for the amp.

Give us more info on the subs. In general though Infinity makes better subs.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2009, 12:56 PM   #20
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep

+1 to whats said above. The lower the ohms, the most you'll get out of your setup.

I like the high end MTX subs and the Infiniti Kappas? I think thats what they were. Sounded nice. Havent heard any of the other infinities though.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2009, 07:31 PM   #21
King_666
killing maching
Canada
Rep

sorry guyz just got my 325 i friday had to run d-town all weekend back on the talk so if i go for 4ohm amp and infinity vs alpine :http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...0073962&catid= vs http://www.techronics.com/index.cfm?...2199&aff=45847

what about this i know boss is not good but man the spec are huge: http://cgi.ebay.com/2-600-watt-Dual-...3A1%7C294%3A50
      06-23-2009, 01:58 AM   #22
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep

I would personally prefer the alpine in a sealed enclosure.
Appreciate 0