BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

06-12-2009, 12:57 PM   #1
attila
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 Mclaren 650s, 2015 GTS4,

DSC and EDC setup for track??!!

Today was my first track session with the BFG Gforce R1 tires and DSC turned completely off. Someone mentioned on this forum that the MDM mode on track may contribute to break wear and overheating, so I turned it off.
Well, it turned out I am not such a good driver and spinned the car twice (once the engine light came on, and had to go to the pit in limp mode). After that I was so afraid that my lap times were really behind the MDM laptimes. I could feel the limits of adhesion better with the PS2 tires. Or just my BFG tires are not set correctly. I am running at 41-42 PSI (front rear) hot.
The XP-10 holding up well, this was their sec. session. Still have almost half of the pad.

So what is your track DSC and EDC setting, and why did you choose the one you are using??
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2009, 06:45 PM   #2
masmole
Captain
Rep
Drives: blue, gray, brown cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by attila View Post
Today was my first track session with the BFG Gforce R1 tires and DSC turned completely off. Someone mentioned on this forum that the MDM mode on track may contribute to break wear and overheating, so I turned it off.
Well, it turned out I am not such a good driver and spinned the car twice (once the engine light came on, and had to go to the pit in limp mode). After that I was so afraid that my lap times were really behind the MDM laptimes. I could feel the limits of adhesion better with the PS2 tires. Or just my BFG tires are not set correctly. I am running at 41-42 PSI (front rear) hot.
The XP-10 holding up well, this was their sec. session. Still have almost half of the pad.

So what is your track DSC and EDC setting, and why did you choose the one you are using??
Dry track and ideal conditions, I do EDC at the stiffest, and DSC off.

Wet, damp, cold, or any combination, I do normal EDC + MDM.

Sometimes I go normal EDC no matter what the conditions depending on the track.

This is all with NT01 R-comps, and stock PS2s when it's really wet out. Usually run the Nittos around 39-40 hot all around.
      06-13-2009, 04:03 AM   #3
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Were your tires hot? You will get snap oversteer if you pushed them too hard too early.

I understand that you might be conservative after a couple of spins. IMO, going back to MDM might make things worse for you in the long run. I think MDM teaches one bad habits like not learning how to use the throttle. That is probably why you spun twice once you turned it off since you must be used to being not so careful with the throttle coming out of turns. Going back to MDM will only reinforce that. My suggestion is--if the track is a relatively safe one that has plenty of run off areas--to simply insist on driving without MDM, but to take everything down a couple of notches. Don't worry about going fast and your lap times. Focus on learning how to apply the throttle gradually coming out of turns. Take your time. Work on being smooth. Once you are confident at one level, take things up a notch and go a bit faster, and do it again.

Also, you probably know this, but when you spin, both feet in. That'll keep your engine running, etc. You don't want to be stuck in the middle of the track when the next guy blows past the yellow at WOT and plows into you (I've read reports of that kind of thing happening).

You can also find a wet skidpad and practice throttle control there, but that'll never be a real substitute for the real thing at high speed.

I use the Normal throttle map. It gives you the best control IMO.
      06-13-2009, 01:36 PM   #4
jml
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M, GT3RS, GT4

No offense intended - Put the PS2s back on, turn off DSC, and learn how to drive the car first. Then worry about going fast.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2009, 10:32 AM   #5
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

Invest some money on some skidpad time learning how power effects the handling balance of your car.The DSC & MDM only mask the true handling traits of your car.A stock M3 is an extremly forgiving car on track once you understand that a 400HP RWD takes some skill and experiance to go fast.Learn the skills required and practice but building the speed up slowly.The speed will come once you have that mastered.

Oh by the way I run my MDM off & shocks set in Sport in the dry.In the wet it is MDM off and comfort setting on the shocks.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2009, 08:38 AM   #6
attila
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 Mclaren 650s, 2015 GTS4,

Thanks,

Next time I will try without DSC again. And try slowly getting faster and faster. It's true, I was not carefull with the throttle, especially in the corner where I spinned out. With MDM on just put my right foot down and waited to get tracktion, especially in THAT corner.
Report will follow next Friday!!
Appreciate 0