E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Considering a 2007 335i CPO. Have questions... (long)

06-03-2009, 12:55 AM   #1
IXFE
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5MC

Considering a 2007 335i CPO. Have questions... (long)

I currently drive a 2003 330i ZHP. I am thinking about getting a 2007 335i Sport, Premium, 6-speed. I would like Nav, Logic 7, and Compfort Access if I can find it.

There are several small details that I hate about how the inside of my 330i works... the kind of details that you don't realize until you own the car. I want to see if any of these little pet peeves have been resolved in the E90.
  • AM Radio Reception: Very poor in the e46. How is it in the e90?
  • Sirius Radio Reception: I have Sirius through the factory BMW Business CD headunit. As much as I love sat radio, I hate BMW's implementation. The signal is super weak. It goes out very easily... passing by tall trees for example. This is a constant issue here in Portland. I have used XM Radio in my wife's Odyssey and Suburban and never had this happen. What's it like in the e90?
  • Sirius Song Info: The display on my headunit does not tell me what artist or song I am listening too unless I press the info button. Even then, it only gives me 11 characters and does not scroll to show me the missing text. Also, and this is the most aggravating detail of my car, if I press the info button right after changing channels it tells me "NO ARTIST." I have to wait a good 5-10 seconds and press info button several more times to scroll around again. Only then do I get the song details... but only 11 characters. How easy is it to access song/artist info on Nav and non-Nav e90's?
  • Steering Wheel Audio Controls: There is only volume control and favorite channel scrolling. I wish there was button to switch between modes (AM, FM, Sirius, CD, etc.).
  • Audio display in instrument cluster: I used to have an A4 that displayed the info from the head unit on a little screen between the two gauges in the cluster. I always thought that was a nice touch. Any chance the e90 does that?
  • Automatic timer: That same A4 also had a trip timer that started whenever you started the car and kept track of the length of your trip. If you stopped for less than 2 hours, it would reset the next time you got in. If your stop was short, it would pick up where it left off. I didn't think much of this when I got the car, but grew to love it! Now I miss it in the e46. Does the e90 have such a device?
  • Defrost: Sometimes you want a little air on the windshield, right? When I hit the defrost button, the unit automatically kicks into high gear as the default. Then I find myself pushing the button over and over again to bring it back down to normal level. I do this every time. Why is full blast the default? Is the E90 like this?
  • Multiple Temp Controls: Why does BMW have a temp control on the center vent in addition to the normal temp control on the HVAC unit? Do you know what a pain it is to turn on AC when you've had heat on the last time in the car (think cold morning, hot afternoon)? Step 1: Hit Auto button, Step 2: decrease temp to 72 degrees, Step 3: Hit snowflake button, Step 4: adjust center vent from red to blue. Why can't I just set the temp and let the system do the rest, like a true thermostat? I hope this is fixed on the E90.
  • Cruise Control light: When I active on cruise control a green light appears on the dash even before I've set a speed. When I finally set a speed, same green light shows. There is no visual distiction of when I have speed locked in or not... just the green light indicating the system is on. Feels like there should be a different signal for system on with no speed set vs. system on and speed set. Small pet peeve, but details matter.
  • Bluetooth w/ Nav: This comment isn't related to my e46 since I have neither Bluetooth nor Nav. I'm just curious how the Bluetooth works in e90's with Nav. When you get a call, does the radio mute automatically? Does caller ID display on the Nav screen? Can you answer the call with a steering wheel button? Can you hang up with same button? Does radio go back on? To make a call, can you scroll through contacts on your Nav screen? If so, is it your phone's contact list, or does the car have its own list you need to set up? Is the system voice activated? Any issues pairing with iPhone or Blackberry?
  • Bluetooth w/out Nav: How does all the stuff I listed above work when you don't have the Nav screen?

Overall, the e46 is one of the most annoying cars I've ever owned for the reasons stated above... they seem small but when you do them over and over every day, it wears on you.

I appreciate you guys telling me how the e90 works in these regards. I want to know exactly what I'm getting before I pull the trigger. There is only so much of this I can get from a test drive. Usually, I'm just trying not to crash!

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2009, 01:01 AM   #2
Terrance28
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Crimson Red E92

Ok I will answer your cruise control question you get a visual aid to let you know what speed and if its set from a small needle by the tach. Actually the 1st time I set it I thought it was pretty cool.
      06-03-2009, 06:20 AM   #3
fdiprete
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 512i xdrive

my e90:
  • AM Radio Reception:
    crappy
  • Sirius Radio Reception:
    crappy
  • Sirius Song Info:
    same
  • Steering Wheel Audio Controls:
    there is a mode button on the steering wheel
  • Audio display in instrument cluster:
    none
  • Automatic timer:
    mileage trip timer. manual reset
  • Defrost:
    blast on button push, returns to normal on 'auto' button
  • Multiple Temp Controls:
    manual wheel on dash below vent (hot/cold) that over rides the auto button
  • Cruise Control light:
    speedo has a pointer that indicates cruise is set - and at what speed.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2009, 01:38 PM   #4
Gibson6594
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO M3

Sterring wheel controls don't switch between AM/FM but you can select other sources..CD, Aux.

note that the radio channel button will cycle through FM1 and FM2 automatically.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2009, 03:35 PM   #5
JoeyFiasco
Major
Rep
Drives: '09 Coupe

dude just test drive one, it will be a lot easier. your list is very extensive and yes or no answers are pretty direct but will lack how bmw implemented (or not?) those items and the middle ground in between.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2009, 04:27 PM   #6
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

I have a 2007 ED91 with nav/iDrive/Bluetooth, but without Sirius. You can test those items out if you like, let me know...
Appreciate 0