BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

BPM

05-28-2009, 02:41 PM   #1
masmole
Captain
Rep
Drives: blue, gray, brown cars

My M3 at Grattan Raceway, MI

Not so ideal conditions but great fun nonetheless. The Nittos were a handful in the wet but provided relentless grip in the dry.

Pics were taken by professional photographers (Sideline Sports).

and then the skies opened up.... weeeee!

just a little slippery....

Needs a wash. I think this one is my favorite. I dig the background and the heat distortion coming off the tail pipes.
      05-28-2009, 03:09 PM   #2
syncros
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe

Wow. Nice pictures.
How did it handled under such rain?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 03:34 PM   #3
von_zoom
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z06

Very nice pictures, and I know the feeling well re wet tracks. BTW, did you drive your car to the track with the Nittos already on. If not, how did you get them there?
Thanks, vz

Previous Track Toy
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 03:37 PM   #4
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
The rain is fun isn't it? At least so long as you stay on the track.

What camber plates are you using up front or are those coil-overs? It looks like you dialed in a lot of negative camber.

Dave
      05-28-2009, 04:49 PM   #5
masmole
Captain
Rep
Drives: blue, gray, brown cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by syncros View Post
Wow. Nice pictures.
How did it handled under such rain?
It handled amazingly. It's an M3 so BMW gave us the ultimate in balance. Even when the weather causes some hairy rwd moments, it is easy to catch and recover from, or even exploit for entertainment purposes if you're an advanced driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by von_zoom View Post
Very nice pictures, and I know the feeling well re wet tracks. BTW, did you drive your car to the track with the Nittos already on. If not, how did you get them there?
Thanks, vz
I drove to the track on my stock 19's. All four Nittos mounted on wheels fit inside my coupe with rear seats folded down. Three of them stacked over the folded seats, and one in the trunk. There was plenty of room to spare for a large toolbox, a floorjack, jack stands, a pair of folding chairs, a beverage cooler, and luggage, while still leaving the front passenger seat unoccupied. You have to play a little cargo tetris to get them all in, but it works

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
The rain is fun isn't it? At least so long as you stay on the track.

What camber plates are you using up front or are those coil-overs? It looks like you dialed in a lot of negative camber.

Dave
No camber plates. Just Eibach Pro Kit lowering springs with stock EDC shocks. I did have my mechanic max out the front camber as much as the stock camber-adjustable suspension allows when he did my alignment. Works well enough, tires are wearing evenly after 3 events, although I do take advantage of having a square set of track tires and rotate them regularly.
      05-28-2009, 04:57 PM   #6
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by masmole View Post
No camber plates. Just Eibach Pro Kit lowering springs with stock EDC shocks. I did have my mechanic max out the front camber as much as the stock camber-adjustable suspension allows when he did my alignment. Works well enough, tires are wearing evenly after 3 events, although I do take advantage of having a square set of track tires and rotate them regularly.
Wow, I'm amazed. I only got 1.25-degrees in front, doing the same thing that you did. Perhaps it's because the pictures show the car in dynamic poses that the camber looks so negative in those headon shots. Anyway, it looks like you had fun and it worked.

My first day at VIR it rained, but it was a Godsend because I got so much car control practice. When it dried on day-two it was like heaven. (The guys that got onto the wet grass might disagree).

Dave
      05-28-2009, 06:14 PM   #7
von_zoom
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by masmole View Post
I drove to the track on my stock 19's. All four Nittos mounted on wheels fit inside my coupe with rear seats folded down. Three of them stacked over the folded seats, and one in the trunk. There was plenty of room to spare for a large toolbox, a floorjack, jack stands, a pair of folding chairs, a beverage cooler, and luggage, while still leaving the front passenger seat unoccupied. You have to play a little cargo tetris to get them all in, but it works

Thanks, and that was the answer I was looking for. Up until and besides this past week end, I have run at VIR five times (10 days), and due to rain, only two days on R compounds.
vz

Previous Track Toy
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 06:16 PM   #8
dawgdog
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 2016 GT3

Great photos; thanks for sharing. I've been blessed in Seattle no less with no significant rain on my first 7 track days.