E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Polish pads question

05-17-2009, 11:51 AM   #1
blackpepper
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw 335xi coup

Polish pads question

HI
I am confused with the variety of pads available for the PC 7242 :
Planning on getting one, and use it to apply the Klaase AIO ( or Zaino ZPC) and finish with a sealant ( SG or Z2 respetctively). I have spider like minor imperfections ( no swirls) and some minor water spots.
Shall I use the Country Lake Green /Polishing pad for the AIO/ZPC or the more aggressive white pad ?

If I wanted to apply the Z2/Klasse SG with the 7242 - what pad should be used for best and safest results ?
Do you recommend the wool ball covered by the white terry for buffing or just hand buffing ?
Last one ; what is the 5 inch backing plate on the 7242, is it that important to have ?

Thanks for your help !!
BP
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2009, 05:33 PM   #2
pander5
Special Forces - Discretion is superior
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe Sapphire Black

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
If you have "spider web" looking scratches you'll probably want to remove them first. You mentioned ZPC and I'd try that with a green pad and if no results change to an orange pad if you have one. KAIO won't remove even minor scratches in my experience. Green pads are only slightly more aggressive than the white pads. I would use a green or white pad with KAIO just before the sealant. I'll also mention that I don't use any speed less than 6 on the PC when trying to cut/correct. Even at that speed I still exert a good deal of pressure at times to assist the aggression

For the sealant, I'd go with a black, blue, red or the new gold LC pads. They are finishing/finessing pads and have virtually no cut. You don't want any cut while applying your sealant (KSG, Z2 etc.). I hand buff off the sealants.

Finally, a 5" BP is great for 5.5" or 6" pads. Check what size your pads are and use a BP that doesn't hang over the edge of the pad. You want the BP to be a slightly smaller diameter to avoid any potential damage from the BP rubbing against something.

Hope this helps.