E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Understeer at the Track

05-14-2009, 01:15 AM   #1
ims
RockStarish
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

Understeer at the Track

So took the car to the track the other day (Dunnville) open lapping it was fun, a lot of fun. I developed a lot more respect for the car while driving home. However, "UNDERSTEER" the car has tons of understeer and I know coilovers, sway bars, or maybe m3 suspension upgrade would do the trick BUT I have these wheels that rub in the back, every hard bend especially left turns the rear would rub and sometimes hard enough to act like brakes.

This got really annoying but I still managed to overtake cars like Carrera S, 4S, e46 M3, Supra turbo, etc. On the straights the car does phenomenaly well Im no rush anymore to get a ECU tune now I want to get rid of the under steer and rubbing.

My question is if I go for coilover suspension will the stiffness be enough to prevent my rear from rubbing? or will the height drop make it still rub?

Can I improve my handling without lowering any height at the rear and lower it just in the front?

Advice, input, opinion, comments all welcome...
Attached Images

Vishnu tuned V3 Rev II
www.tolworld.com
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 06:19 AM   #2
who's ur daddy?
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Canada's first and only 323xi

Think you should get properly fitted rims and tires for the track. Going at such high speeds and dramatic direction changes - last thing you'd want is to have a tire blowout.

In any event, to reduce understeer, go with a square setup. Anything that would put more rubber up front would be great. Staggered setups just enhance the understter effect by putting too much grip in the rear relative to the front - thus understeer. Sways are another option.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 09:39 AM   #3
Orb
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by ims View Post
So took the car to the track the other day (Dunnville) open lapping it was fun, a lot of fun. I developed a lot more respect for the car while driving home. However, "UNDERSTEER" the car has tons of understeer and I know coilovers, sway bars, or maybe m3 suspension upgrade would do the trick BUT I have these wheels that rub in the back, every hard bend especially left turns the rear would rub and sometimes hard enough to act like brakes.

This got really annoying but I still managed to overtake cars like Carrera S, 4S, e46 M3, Supra turbo, etc. On the straights the car does phenomenaly well Im no rush anymore to get a ECU tune now I want to get rid of the under steer and rubbing.

My question is if I go for coilover suspension will the stiffness be enough to prevent my rear from rubbing? or will the height drop make it still rub?

Can I improve my handling without lowering any height at the rear and lower it just in the front?

Advice, input, opinion, comments all welcome...
Well, it seems you bought the wrong wheels...bite it and sell them as you made a mistake. If your rubbing you messed up your scrub radius and causing more under steer. Before you waste your money on another set wheels do try to learn something scrub radius and king pin inclination offset. Changing wheel offset is the same as changing control arms lengths.

Yet another square setup recommendation which only decrease initial under steer and then increase it mid corner only to cause massive over steer late exit. Supper cars are all staggered.....wonder why!!!!!!

The M3 sway bars are the only thing that will help.

Orb
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 09:55 AM   #4
who's ur daddy?
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Canada's first and only 323xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orb View Post
Yet another square setup recommendation which only decrease initial under steer and then increase it mid corner only to cause massive over steer late exit. Supper cars are all staggered.....wonder why!!!!!!
orb, what does this mean?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 10:54 AM   #5
MRQturbo
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 91 MR2 turbo....07 335i...

a set of springs...some sway bars...lsd...and you'll notice a huge difference in handling and driving....roll your fenders or get proper sized track tires too.....
      05-14-2009, 12:50 PM   #6
Gen_E92
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: slow

Garage List
2007 335i  [7.80]
Like Orb said, I'm starting to understand that square tire set up only solves part of the problem while creating other problems. If you have the money, definitely go for M3 front control arms, set of coilovers with M3 rear camber link, M3 subframe bushings, M3 sway bars, and a LSD.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 01:04 PM   #7
jeho
ig: jeffersonho
Finland
Rep
Drives: E90M3.E36M3

gen_e92 is in

u got some balls to continue tracking your car that day when you were already rubbing haha...
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 08:59 PM   #8
Gen_E92
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [7.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by J86 View Post
gen_e92 is in

u got some balls to continue tracking your car that day when you were already rubbing haha...
dude thats long time ago lol...it doesn't rub when i autox, but normal driving rubs lol

so glad I learned trail braking haha...my car used to understeer as well even with the H&R sway bar when i just brake like a noob but no more understeer with trail braking and still staggered tires adding all the M3 stuff should be perfect now
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2009, 01:37 AM   #9
ims
RockStarish
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

wheel suggestions... nothing beats these RD2's in looks
Vishnu tuned V3 Rev II
www.tolworld.com
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2009, 02:22 AM   #10
samchoi604
Colonel
Rep
Drives: black on black

Install LSD and push the gas pedal a little harder when you corner. Say bye to understeer, but say hello to oversteer, and hope you don't crash the car lol.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2009, 02:42 PM   #11
Soni
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Just a car

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ims View Post
wheel suggestions... nothing beats these RD2's in looks
Looks and Performance sometimes doesn't come together!! What I suggest is use the RD2 for road use and get a light track rims with some R compound, you will amaze how much gripping has improved.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2009, 03:13 PM   #12
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep
Drives: 997.2 Porsche C4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soni View Post
Looks and Performance sometimes doesn't come together!! What I suggest is use the RD2 for road use and get a light track rims with some R compound, you will amaze how much gripping has improved.
Use R compound only if you're an advanced driver. ie many HPDE or similar events. You cannot learn the basics if your car grips tremendously. You get better learning experience if you start off with regular high performance street tires.

my humble opinion...
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2009, 03:48 PM   #13
Gen_E92
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [7.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by samchoi604 View Post
Install LSD and push the gas pedal a little harder when you corner. Say bye to understeer, but say hello to oversteer, and hope you don't crash the car lol.
Yep...adding LSD and suspension tuning will be the proper way to fix your underteer problems. Going with square tire set up is a compromise for the stock open diff IMO, although turn in is slightly faster, you won't have enough grip coming out of corners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonybest View Post
Use R compound only if you're an advanced driver. ie many HPDE or similar events. You cannot learn the basics if your car grips tremendously. You get better learning experience if you start off with regular high performance street tires.

my humble opinion...
+1
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2009, 04:10 PM   #14
Soni
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Just a car

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonybest View Post

my humble opinion...
+1...
I would suggest take the BMW training courses to learn the basics!
Appreciate 0