E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Detailing Help.

05-04-2009, 10:13 AM   #1
nupe05
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 335i black/coral red

Detailing Help.

Hey guys/ladies

Sorry to post this.. ive read almost every detail help post i could.. i just wanna help clearing up some things and make sure im getting the best bang for the buck..ive never performed a detail.. so far heres my order list.
The Uber Menzerna PO203/PO85RD Polishing Combo Kit
Poorboys spary and wipe
clay magic fine clay bar
jetseal
p21s

Questions..
I have never worked with a clay bar before, any tips would be greatly appreiated.

for the polishing portions.. hand or buffer? this step just requires working the polish in? no removal required?

seal.. hand or buffer?

and after appyling/removing wax.. a quality quick detailer adds in the removal of haze that left behind.. true false? needed or not?

any other suggestions om products or techniques are higly welcomed.

Car 335i coupe.. Jet Black

thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2009, 11:03 AM   #2
twinturboa51
Captain
Armenia
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey F80 M3

1)For the clay use PLENTY of lube and you shouldnt have a problem you can use your spray and wipe, its pretty easy to do.
2)Polish and seal by buffer the PC 7424 if thats what ur using. you will need to remove it, and always use microfiber for whatever step it is. make sure you have the right pads for polishing if you are going to use he pc
3)you should not have any haze after waxing it should wipe right off with a microfiber towel, if you do you did something wrong, so a QD is not really required.

Clay, Polish, Seal, Wax. use the QD as Lube, then in between details use the QD to keep up the finish, you shouldnt have to use the QD to clean up hazing. make sure you detail in the shade or in a garage, often times this is what causes haze. my .02

Good luck and happy detailing.
      05-04-2009, 12:27 PM   #3
E90Brian
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

From DavidN's sticky on this forum:

How to: Properly Clay your Car

Make sure you have thoroughly washed and dried your car prior to claying.

Cut the clay bar in half. Take the half and cut it into 15 equal pieces:

2 for the hood
2 for the roof
1 for the trunk lid
1 for the trunk rear and rear bumper
2 for the rear quarter panels (1 per side)
4 for the doors (1 per door)(if you have a sedan)
2 for the front fenders (1 per side)
1 for the front of the car

Take the piece and roll it in to a sphere. Take the sphere and flatten it out into a circle so that it covers the top third of your first two fingers. Spray the first section of the roof with quick detailer. Glide the clay across the area in a front to back motion applying some pressure. Work in 2x2 areas. If you feel your fingers going through the clay, then you are pushing too hard. If the clay is streaking on the paint, then you need more QD. While gliding, you should hear a slight noise and feel some resistance. This is the grit being lifted from the paint. When the resistance and noise stops, dry the QD off with a quality towel. Move onto the next 2x2 section and do the same thing. Once half the section is done, flip the clay over and do the other half of the section. Once the section has been completed throw the piece of clay away. It is too contaminated to use on another section. If you do use it, you will most likely put micro scratches in your clear.

Keep working your way down using each dedicated piece for its area. Flip the clay over when you have completed half a section. Throw the clay away when the section is done.

When complete your car should be as smooth as glass. The next steps should be to remove the swirls (if necessary), remove any hazing from polishing/bring out the full gloss, and seal in the rejuvenated finish with a wax or sealant.

If you haven't read the sticky, it's at the top of this forum.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0