BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Canada

04-26-2009, 04:22 PM   #1
shpritz
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Comp Cabriolet

Considering a M3. Help Opinions...

Hello from WinterPeg!!

I have driven a SLK55 AMG for the past few years (summers only)and the warranty will be up at the end of the summer. I drove BMW's prior. With the new E92/E93 with DCT I am strongly, strongly considering the purchase of a M3 before the end of the month if possible.

I am considering either the E92 or the E93. I plan to only drive it during the summer. Problem I am having is that the Coupe looks much nicer to me than the E93. That being said I do enjoy the drop top in the summer...

I plan to get one with the full load and would like to know how the DCT 7speed is? I am concerned about the LAG problem I have read when rolling thru a intersection of more than a second in Auto. Has this issue truly been resolved in the 2009's? I do like the idea of the Auto mode for daily traffic etc... I took an M6 with SMG for a ride and really did not like the SMG. My dealer doesn't have a E90,92 or93 on the lot so I have not been able to try the DCT. I have driven the Audi DSG and found it to be quick and actually very smooth in Automatic.

My question is E92 or E93? Which options are a must? What is the best color combination on either? If you can post me a picture or a link to it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and I look forward to the help and feedback...
Jump to top shpritz is online now Add to shpritz's Reputation Report Post Edit/Delete Message
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2009, 04:31 PM   #2
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: work truck

Get the E92, far better car, lighter and less moving parts ever to worry about

The DCT is great if you can afford it and like it. There is no lag anymore with the software upgrade. The thing pulls like a freight train.

Get the M-Drive for sure, better flexibility for setting up the car

Color is personal preference,

My feelings is don't get white, lots out there already. I get plenty of compliments with my Silverstone
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2009, 05:10 PM   #3
schadenfreude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M-DCT M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [0.00]
I have an '09 DCT, and have only hit a couple quirks. No lag, but a stutter-start twice while slowing/accelerating. This may have been the lag they refer to, but I'm not sure. The car will move forward, but it's jerky for a second. My only other complaint with it is that the shift modes (except S6) are all so similar (FAST/SMOOTH). Maybe it's because I haven't shifted at 8300 yet (still in breakin). I'd recommend DCT if you have to deal with traffic at all, or if you want the latest tech in your ride. I love it, and as above, haven't even used it to it's fullest yet. (I only drive in manual mode)

I've seen most of the colors in person now with the exception of Melbourne Red and LeMans (Which I've probably seen on a lesser car and not known it). You really can't go wrong. The Beige interior looks great with a lot of colors, and is right up there with Black IMO. My favorite combos are Interlagos/Black, Jerez/Black or Beige, Space Grey/Black or Beige, and Silverstone/Black. Carbon leather is a must have, although sycamore looks good with beige. AW and FR are just too common.

The lines on the E93 are the most awkward of the 3 models. I really like my sedan, but the coupe is more sporty.
      04-26-2009, 06:18 PM   #4
markymarc1979
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 16 G12 + 15 F06 + 17 F15

Garage List
2009 BMW E93  [0.00]
2012 BMW 750xi  [0.00]
The performance differences are not noticable unless you have the car on the track. From the sounds of it, your probably going to baby the car anyways. Nothing is more pimp than dropping the top!!!!!!!!! E93 for the win.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2009, 07:17 PM   #5
M3 Montreal
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 SG ,DCT & 2011 S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by shpritz View Post
Hello from WinterPeg!!

I have driven a SLK55 AMG for the past few years (summers only)and the warranty will be up at the end of the summer. I drove BMW's prior. With the new E92/E93 with DCT I am strongly, strongly considering the purchase of a M3 before the end of the month if possible.

I am considering either the E92 or the E93. I plan to only drive it during the summer. Problem I am having is that the Coupe looks much nicer to me than the E93. That being said I do enjoy the drop top in the summer...

I plan to get one with the full load and would like to know how the DCT 7speed is? I am concerned about the LAG problem I have read when rolling thru a intersection of more than a second in Auto. Has this issue truly been resolved in the 2009's? I do like the idea of the Auto mode for daily traffic etc... I took an M6 with SMG for a ride and really did not like the SMG. My dealer doesn't have a E90,92 or93 on the lot so I have not been able to try the DCT. I have driven the Audi DSG and found it to be quick and actually very smooth in Automatic.

My question is E92 or E93? Which options are a must? What is the best color combination on either? If you can post me a picture or a link to it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and I look forward to the help and feedback...
Jump to top shpritz is online now Add to shpritz's Reputation Report Post Edit/Delete Message

Don't compare the SMG to the DCT . SMG , in my opinion, is a piece of crap . DCT kills SMG and is as close to PDK as you can get.

2011 B8 S4 S-Tronic , Black on magma red
Appreciate 0