E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > what do you suggest audiocontrol or new amp

04-24-2009, 05:54 AM   #1
yunus
Private
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i DCT 2011

what do you suggest audiocontrol or new amp

hi all,
i have the standard 6 speaker system , no amplification.
i have infinity 4 inch coaxials in the doors and parcel tray
i have a sounstream granite 120.4 amp amplifying the front coaxials on one channels and the subs bridged on the other 2 channels.
my problem is that the amplifier is quite old and does not have adjustable crossover points, so my subs play full range.
this makes everything muddy over 200hz.

my question then is, for cleaner and more controlled sound should i get a new amplifier or do i just add an audiocontrol unit , if so which amps do you suggest 4/5 channel or which audiocontrol unit will sum and control the signals?

thanx in advance
i would love your opinions !!

yunus
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2009, 07:08 AM   #2
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by yunus View Post
hi all,
i have the standard 6 speaker system , no amplification.
i have infinity 4 inch coaxials in the doors and parcel tray
i have a sounstream granite 120.4 amp amplifying the front coaxials on one channels and the subs bridged on the other 2 channels.
my problem is that the amplifier is quite old and does not have adjustable crossover points, so my subs play full range.
this makes everything muddy over 200hz.

my question then is, for cleaner and more controlled sound should i get a new amplifier or do i just add an audiocontrol unit , if so which amps do you suggest 4/5 channel or which audiocontrol unit will sum and control the signals?

thanx in advance
i would love your opinions !!

yunus
For the easiest and quickest installation I would just get a new amp as you already have all the cables and wires in place to swap amps. These new Soundstream amps look promising, especially the 6-channel STL6.900 for your particular installation: http://www.soundstream.com/AudioProd...rs/stealth.htm
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2009, 09:29 AM   #3
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

Here's my opinion:

An EQ's job can be thought of as trying to "force" your speakers to play notes that they electro-mechanically don't "want" to play.

Whenever you try to add 3dB of loudness to a note with an EQ, you are asking the amplifier to put out DOUBLE the power into that note.

For this reason, it is easy to run out of power when boosting a notw with an EQ.

For this reason, for over 20 years, I have said that an EQ is literally the last thing to add to your system. Why? Because you want to have speakers which tend to sound the way you like, and an amplifier with plenty of power, before you go boosting any notes with an EQ.

Given that you have Infinity 4" coaxials (which means the tweeters are physically very small and the crossovers very basic and the cone very light to be efficient, rather than accurate), I think you would be better served by getting better speakers.

Rainbow, Hertz, Morel, and DLS all make 4" coaxials which should fit into that spot.

I think you will do far better this way. (I think eventually you can upgrade your amp, but if it is working and doing the job, leave it and focus on speakers.)

Good luck on your project, keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2009, 02:13 PM   #4
yunus
Private
South Africa
Rep

thanx for your opinions,

i thought infinity were good speakers ?
i dont find a problem with the clarity from the coaxials but rather i find midbass from the subs 175hz and up too much, largely form a lack of crossover points, i suppose.
i think i will then get a new amplifier with better control on the lpfl and hpf
i personally too dont like the use of equalizers, i thought it would make up for the lack of crossovers in the amp.

those stealth amps look really good , i just wonder about availablity here is SA, the latest i saw here are the tarantula 07/08 series.
any other suggestions on amplifiers?

Last edited by yunus; 04-24-2009 at 02:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2009, 09:26 PM   #5
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

Quote:
thanx for your opinions,

i thought infinity were good speakers ?
Not really. Bright and harsh to me.

Quote:
thanx for your opinions,

i dont find a problem with the clarity from the coaxials but rather i find midbass from the subs 175hz and up too much, largely form a lack of crossover points, i suppose.
Midbass is from 50 hz to 300... from 175 to 300 is not much. What makes you think there is no crossover?

Quote:
i think i will then get a new amplifier with better control on the lpfl and hpf
i personally too dont like the use of equalizers, i thought it would make up for the lack of crossovers in the amp.
No, equalizers and crossovers are different, one won't really make up for the other.

Quote:

those stealth amps look really good , i just wonder about availablity here is SA, the latest i saw here are the tarantula 07/08 series.
any other suggestions on amplifiers?
Search this forum for Blaupunkt... there is some model some are using.

But I stand by my recommendation before.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2009, 09:35 PM   #6
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

I would hold on to that amp if it still works fine. They don't make em like that anymore. I used to have the 2 channel version of that amp (60.2) and it was bulletproof. I wish I still had it. I ran it tri-mode going 2 ohms stereo to a pair of 5-1/4" components and 5-1/4" coaxials and 4 ohms to a 10" sub. It got hot as hell but would never shut down on me.

Ah the old days!
      04-25-2009, 06:00 AM   #7
yunus
Private
South Africa
Rep

the amp does have crossovers , but they lack control of the crossver points. hpf is 150 and up , and lpf is 75 and below.
so i lose 75-150 range.

i have the subs running full range so when i up the gains to get more midbass, i get an increase in midrange too, and thats the part i find irritating.

so i think i will take both opinions and replace the infinity coaxials with morel or dls if i can afford and change the amp to soundstream or jbl ( wishing i could afford alpine pdx5 here equivalent pricing $700 and not even bothhering with JL way too costly)

any other equipment suggestions ?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2009, 06:04 AM   #8
yunus
Private
South Africa
Rep

Ah the old days! [/QUOTE]

in the good old days of my E30 i had this amp running alpine splits up front, 2 8inch alpine subs and 2 pioneers limpids on the rear shelf .

boy or boy was that good sound back in the day
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2009, 03:13 PM   #9
yunus
Private
South Africa
Rep

rockford amp

hi guys,

i decided to hold on changing the speakers and try the amp upgrade first.

i could get a rockford fosgate p450.4 amp at a reasonable price +- $150

i would love your opinions on the amp in terms of quality , to run the front coaxials and std subs

yunus
Appreciate 0