BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-06-2009, 07:29 PM   #1
edentel
Rep
Drives:

Unhappy Scratched the screen... now what... *sigh*

You can read my story of woe below if you want a chuckle. But first the 2 questions:

1) Whats the way to pop the navi-lcd cowl on the dash of an 09 135i?
2) Anyone do this yet and take note of the make/model of the lcd panel for the i-Drive?

So now the story...

Weeeeell in the middle of cleaning the car up I had a real nice accident. I was using a detailing brush from Target to clean the i-Drive screen on my 09 135i and managed to put a nice set of scratches in it. The end of the brush apparently lost it's rubber safety cap while let the metal wire tip at the screen.

I've been reading up on DIY repairs and so far I'm 0 for 3. Well I did manage to reduce the scratch, but at the expense of the anti-glare coating. I've got a a nice shiny section on the screen now. A little more reading and it looks like if I was truly desparate enough I could pull the screen and re-coat it with one of a few methods that seem a bit iffy.

At this point it looks like I'm going to have to replace the screen. I'll call a local dealership tomorrow and fidn out what they want. THat seems to be the only official way to do it, as I see in the retrofit thread that the monitor isn't available as a part to order yet.

The only other thought I've had is trying to just replace the LCD by going through a display dealer. I've had some luck upgrading and salvaging laptops that way in the past.

That brings us back to the quesitons. Anyone know the make and model of the LCD panel? Second, how do you pop the cowl off to get at the bugger?

Any pointers would be GREATLY appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 08:19 PM   #2
InsaneSkippy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

I'll be interested to see if you can get a screen from the dealership. Another member on here is trying to add i-drive to a car that didn't have it from the factory. He just said in his thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by realm View Post
This retrofit is on hold due to the monitor not being sold yet.
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...=224057&page=3

Be sure to post up what the dealer says, as I might be ordering a screen myself.

Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 08:47 PM   #3
tkbr0wn
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman S

Why don't you try removing the anti glare from the rest of the screen, then buy an anti glare screen protector and overlay it. It might hide the rest of the scratches and save you a lot of money.

● 2015 Cayman S (Current), 2011 1M BSM #297 (Sold), 2008 135i (Sold) ●
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 10:31 AM   #4
edentel
Rep
Drives:

I'm going to try a few other things. I've read in a couple Mercedes forums that the stick on anti-scratch/anti-glare film (handheld, laptop, iPhone) greatly reduces the appearance of any screen problems. I'll try a sheet of that first just to see what it looks like. Some of the photos I've seen online of other folks "patches" are pretty dramatic.

Second I'm trying to run down a sheet of 3M's Vikuiti DCQ-M film. Their spec sheet make it sound pretty impressive. Digi-Key lists single sheets at around $16 a piece, of course only the case for $600 is in stock.

I'll post as I pass/fail things... I think trying to strip the whole thing would only be a last resort if I know I have a new screen available as an option. The little area that's lost the antiglare already looks pretty bad with the top down.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 11:31 AM   #5
tkbr0wn
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman S

I was just thinking that if you put an antiglare screen on top of the screen where part of the original antiglare is gone, it would look weird. Thats why I was suggesting removing all of the original antiglare then putting an overlay on. I hope you are able to get it resolved with out having to spend a ton of money.

Good Luck!

● 2015 Cayman S (Current), 2011 1M BSM #297 (Sold), 2008 135i (Sold) ●
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 11:41 AM   #6
famous757
Rep
Drives: 135i

u want to kno what i would do... honestly i wouldnt be able look at that... i would carefully remove my rear view mirror and set it on the seat...take it to a bmw center and tell them u hit a bump and the rear view mirror fell and hit ur screen, they will replace both for free... bmw is all about customer service. i work for them, if its under warrenty most techs wont waste the time to question it. they will just order the parts throw em in and get on with the next car...good luck

famous757

p.s. make sure u give ur dealer ship a good csi rating.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2009, 09:26 AM   #7
edentel
Rep
Drives:

Just off the phone with the local BMW parts department.... 8 inch screen part number 65-82-9-193-751 runs $2300. Yowch!

Back to hunting down the 3M Vikuiti I think.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2009, 09:32 AM   #8
123D-M
Captain
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW 123d M-Sport Coupe

Garage List
I'd claim it on insurance in that case.
2009 123D Coupe | Sedona Red | Black Boston Leather | Brushed Aluminium Trim | Tinted Windows | M-Sport Package | 6M | Comfort Access | Heated Seats | Navigation | Park Distance Front & Rear | USB | Bluetooth | Voice Control | Efficient Dynamics | Rain & Light Sensors | Xenon Lights
My blog: http://urbanemusings.wordpress.com/
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 09:34 AM   #9
john45
Registered
Rep
Drives: very nice

Hello,
you have provided really a nice information on Scratched the screen... now what... *sigh . Now I have some dull scratched spots on the screen, which are very distracting.
Is there any way to get rid of the spots?

http://www.viewguard.com/en-US/
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 04:22 PM   #10
radorotrex
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 135i Cabrio / 08 M3 Sedan

I did the same thing when cleaning it and have very fine scatches on the screen. My plan was just to get a anti glare screen protector and apply that over the screen. I think that the screen protector can hide the scatches from the adhesive "blending" into the scratches. I feel it should do it as the scratches are very fine. Just haven't attempted it because I wanted to take the screen out and be able to apply the protector up the the edge of the trim without a gap. I just don't know how to take the screen out yet.
Appreciate 0