BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

Mporium BMW

04-05-2009, 10:10 PM   #1
M3V8Driver
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT

Has anybody hard-wired a transponder in an E92 M3?

Hi,

Just wondering if anybody has hard-wired an AMB transponder. I have an E92 M3 that I am running Time Trials with, and was wondering where the best place is to hook up the positive and negative leads. Obviously, it should be switched, so that it isn't on when the iginition is off. Any help will be appreciated.

Regards,
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2009, 11:20 AM   #2
RickyBobby
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Same question here. My rechargeable unit has died so I'm going with the hard wired unit this time around.
I haven't poked around to much but is there even a fuse box under the hood? My first inclination is to attach to the jumper posts and just install my own switch that I will flip on for track days.
Also where are people placing the unit. There doesn't seem to be a lot of real estate in the engine bay to mount the sucker.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2009, 02:48 PM   #3
Green///Hell
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3, F15 X5, 1199S

From personal experience, I just tapped in to the wiring for the angel eyes with a resistor in place so it can have its own fuse. It is switched power when headlights are running.

But if you don't have an aftermarket Angel Eye setup, the next best place from under the hood would have to be the ECU wiring harness
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2009, 05:37 PM   #4
RickyBobby
Captain
Rep

After some time under the hood, the wiring turns out to be the easy part.

Where are people mounting the actual transponder?? The V8 sure is stuffed into the engine bay!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2009, 10:05 PM   #5
M3V8Driver
Captain
United_States
Rep

By the way, I figured out how to do this just days after making that post back in April. It's worked fine ever since. If you want, I can take pictures. I placed a bullet connector inline with the power lead so I can turn it off when not in use.
      10-30-2009, 12:18 AM   #6
RickyBobby
Captain
Rep

Pics would be great. I picked up a switch and wire ends from radio shack so I've got all the hardware all lined up.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2009, 09:15 PM   #7
M3V8Driver
Captain
United_States
Rep

OK, you asked for it. It was really quite simple. Like you, I went to Radio Shack in search of a switch, but they didn't have one with the proper rating that could withstand the heat, vibration, and elements. So I decided to just use a blade connector. I mean, if you have to lift the hood to flip a switch, you might as well just connect a blade connector (if you really want to get fancy, you could rig up an illuminated switch in the glovebox). It my race car, it was even more simple... when the ignition was on, so was the transponder. Anyway, these pictures should give you a good idea of where I mounted it in the right front wheel well, where I got the power, and where I grounded it. I recommend using the blade connectors with the rubber sheething to help protect the metal from the elements.
Attached Images

11-02-2009, 09:42 PM   #8
RickyBobby
Captain
Rep

Thanks! Now I've got something to do this weekend.
I like the idea of using the blade connector. The swith I picked up was rated at 30a but certainly is not weather resistant. Hopefully my wide track rubber doesn't present any clearance issues.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2009, 08:00 PM   #9
RickyBobby
Captain
Rep

Thanks for the tips. I finally got around to installing mine with some slight modifications to what you outlines above.
Same wiring as yours, but I routed the transponder inside the fender to keep it from the elements. I got it nicely tucked out of site this way. The signal has to pass through the undertray but I didnt' have any problems with this on my last car so I'm not expecting any issues here either. I'm glad I went the hard wired route. No more hassle of charging the unit and remembering to bring it to the track now.

Here are my pics.
Attached Images

Last edited by RickyBobby; 12-28-2009 at 11:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2009, 01:47 PM   #10
niterider
Proove It!
Rep
Drives: Gintani Supercharged

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyBobby View Post
Thanks for the tips. I finally got around to installing mine with some slight modifications to what you outlines above.
Same wiring as yours, but I routed the transponder inside the fender to keep it from the elements. I got it nicely tucked out of site this way. The signal has to pass through the undertray but I didnt' have any problems with this on my last car so I'm not expecting any issues here either. I'm glad I went the hard wired route. No more hassle of charging the unit and remembering to bring it to the track now.

Here are my pics.
Nice install
      12-30-2009, 05:33 PM   #11
clubspec330i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MG F39, CB F86, MB 911T

FYI,

When I was at Street of Willow couple of weeks ago, I got to test out the new microchip transponder. Based on nano-technology, this transponder is relative cheap. I was told that it is about $1-$2 for each one. Basically, it is taped onto my winshield. It is still there I think. I can take picture tonight once I get home.

-Mack
Appreciate 0