E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > e90/e92 owners I need your advice please.

03-22-2009, 12:39 PM   #1
nickgoa
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

e90/e92 owners I need your advice please.

I ownded a 2003 330xi and during a service visit I got the 335i as a loaner.
I was instantly hooked and knew what my next car would be.

I have my funds in place and will be purchasing cash either a 2007/2008 e90 or e92 335 in the next 10 or so days.

I'm going to be using this car in the USA for the next 6 months and then taking it to Greece (dutyfree and taxfree) where the same car used costs over $60,000 ....

During the 6 months while I'm in the States I will have the BMWNA warranty,
but in Europe I will have no warranty.

Would you purchase a 07/08 335 knowing that you would have no warranty even though the car has low miles?

I'm putting all my eggs in one basket and reaching to buy this car maximizing my spending power since the value in Greece of the car is so high. In other words I will not have any money left over for major repairs.

On of the reasons I loved my 2003 330xi so much was the fact that it had the 50k mile all inclusive warranty and I purchased the extended coverage for an additional $2k. Well worth it my opinion and the Service I received from my local dealer has been exceptional. I know I wouldn't hesitate reburying it if I was in the states and its the reason why CPO makes so much sense.

Do you think it would be wise to get a HPFP replacement as a spare and take with me.

Am I taking major unnecessary risk (or mistake) buying a car with high maintenance costs and no warranty?

Do you think meticulous pre-purchase research (BMW service reports, carfax, etc) to make the best educated purchase and the 6 month period of warranty service is enough to work out any kinks that may appear???

Anything else I should consider taking a car from the US to Europe?

I know the gas there is 95 and 100 octane compared to 93 here.
Will the better gas help with the HPFP issue?

Is the preference of Manual transmission purely for performance or are maintenance concerns an issue?

Anything else to look at in particular during my research before I buy?

Any and all advice is well appreciated.

Thank you!

Nick
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2009, 12:57 PM   #2
juicedcubed
Phantom at large
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 e92 m3

"Would you purchase a 07/08 335 knowing that you would have no warranty even though the car has low miles?"

if i had the money to make the necessary repairs if need be, then ya i would purchase it.

its a roll of the dice man.
2008 335i Black Sapphire| Black Interior| Navi| Silver Aluminum Trim |Tint l BMS intake l JB3 l Riss Racing downpipes | Miro Staggered Hyper Silver 19 inch CSL Reps |Nitto 555's ***RIP 2011 335i Jet Black| Red Interior| Bone Stock ***RIP 2013 M3 Space Gray|Carbon Tint| Matte Black Eurotek CSL Wheels| Nokya White Halos| AFE Stage 2 intake| AFE Power Pulley| Reflector Delete|
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2009, 12:58 PM   #3
methodtim
Brigadier General
Liechtenstein
Rep
Drives: Audi RS Q8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickgoa View Post
I'm putting all my eggs in one basket and reaching to buy this car maximizing my spending power since the value in Greece of the car is so high. In other words I will not have any money left over for major repairs.
I stopped reading right about there. Don't make me go all Suze Orman on you now. I mean, seriously, do you think it's a good idea to over-reach like this and have no money left for major repairs? This also tells me that you'll also likely have no money left if anything major were to go wrong in your life.

Buying a 335i is a foolish decision in your present state. There's just no way of getting around that. Don't do it. Save your money. The car will always be there.

Aw, what the hell, the last 50 people who's posted something like this here have gone on to buy the car regardless of what anyone here has said. I don't expect this to end any differently. But don't come back whining to us when your HPFP fails out of warranty and you don't have the cash to fix it.
      03-22-2009, 01:04 PM   #4
Phil G.
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Methodtim couldn't be more "on the money." As Suze Orman would say "YOU'RE DENIED!!!! YOU CAN'T AFFORD IT." But, it's your money - personally, if I "wouldn't have money left for major repairs" I would wait until you did, THEN buy it. Good luck!!

2009 BMW 328i (x-Drive) e-90, 2010 Audi A4 Prem+, 2008 Audi TT Roadster S-Line
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2009, 01:56 PM   #5
nickgoa
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for the replies guys. Methodtim is on the money Maybe I was not clear on my original post...my post was to identify that although I know that I'm playing with fire, what are the things I can do to handle fire safely and minimize burns.... your warning is taken that if I play with fire and get burnt not to cry for help
Maybe after everyone chimes in I see more clearly that the fire on hand is too hot mess with and I should reconsider.... I'm not going to be completely broke...but would cry like a baby if I had to change the HPFP with out of pocket expenses on a regular basis.
The HPFP is the one major issue with the 335 that concerns me the most....

Does anyone own a Bimmer without warranty or do you guys trade in /upgrade before it runs out? I know that is what I did as soon my 330xi got ouf of warranty....

There are two ways to go about this dilemma I have...
the simple and responsible way of simply do not do it
and the other more complicated way, that since you are going to do it these are the precautions or things to worry about/look out for.... I guess the later is what my original post was trying to ask for... people that already own the vehicle and can help me prepare in making the best possible purchase I can...

I appreciate your input.

Thanks,
Nick
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2009, 02:19 PM   #6
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

Or you could get a 328 for 2 years and save up, and get a next gen 335i. Just sayin'. This is ONLY if you MUST have a BMW.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2009, 02:30 PM   #7
balance
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F32 435i

Garage List
2014 BMW  [0.00]
If I were you I wouldn't buy a used 335 without warranty. My car has had 3 fuel pump replacements and 2 fuel line leaks and numerous brake sensor replacements because of a brake squeak and I've had the car for only about 4 months. You never know what the previous owners driving habits were, if they took care of the car or not. But then again not everyone was as unlucky as me. good luck
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2009, 02:54 PM   #8
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

The HPFP issue should be negligible in the EU, no?
I remember the only reason HPFP's started failing here was because they were not designed for the high level of (something i forgot ) in petrol here.

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2009, 03:51 PM   #9
nickgoa
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2fire View Post
The HPFP issue should be negligible in the EU, no?
I remember the only reason HPFP's started failing here was because they were not designed for the high level of (something i forgot ) in petrol here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickgoa View Post
I know the gas there is 95 and 100 octane compared to 93 here.
Will the better gas help with the HPFP issue?

I think you're referring to "octane" as I mentioned above that in Europe they use a higher grade fuel. Octane is only a measure of the fuel's tendency to burn rather than explode. or resistance to pre-ignition...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

As I was re-reading the above wiki link I noticed that Europe and US use a different rating system and quote "the octane rating shown in the United States is 4 to 5 points lower than the same fuel elsewhere: 87 octane fuel, the "regular" gasoline in the US and Canada, is 91–92 in Europe. However most European pumps deliver 95 (RON) as "unleaded", equivalent to 90–91 US (R+M)/2, and some even deliver 98 (RON), 100 (RON), or 102 (RON)"

Is this true? Will the (better) gas help with the HPFP issue?

I wanted to point out again that I will have warranty for the first 6 months (that I still live in the USA) I'm hoping in this 6 month period to fully evaluate and fix any issues that arise. Key word is "hoping"....

Can you have a car bought from a private party taken to a dealer and have it Certified for a fee? I'm wondering if anyone has done that in a reverse of my scenario. Have imported a used car from Europe and then have it certified here from BMWNA at a dealer.

I would pay 2-3k to have this peace of mind....
I might try and contact BMW Europe and ask, but I thought I'd ask you guys first...

Thanks

Nick

Nick
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2009, 03:55 PM   #10
fwmcb
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 328i X-drive

Garage List
2010 128i  [0.00]
I'd probably do it, but I'm not the most financially prudent person. Look at it this way, if the car breaks down, you can afford to sell it at a lower price than the e9xs over there and not be that bad off, depending on the issue. And you know there are all kinds of awesome cars available in Greece that we can't get over here like Alfa Romeo for one.
Appreciate 0