E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Wary of modding the 335i

03-22-2009, 11:46 AM   #1
D_o_S
LCI'd
Rep
Drives: 335i LCI

Wary of modding the 335i

Hello all,

this is a sort of rant post, but anyway, I'd like input...

Well, I am in the process of configuring a new 335i LCI E90. I plan on keeping the car for over 5 years. The more I'm thinking about it, the more reluctant I am to mod the thing...

Modded cars are fun for a while. You are amazed by what you have changed/modded and how it performs. However, I believe that more often that not, the experience becomes sour. Soon, you find out that "something" is being worn more than usual, needs to be replaced, is behaving strangely, something is broken, etc. Modded cars just don't seem to have the reliability of non-modded ones. In other words, they tend to, after a while, fall apart...

The problem with modding is that no one really has the time to go through the endless combination of things we modders do... for example, adding a KW Suspension may work fine on its own, but if you change out the suspension with M3 parts, you may soon experience trouble (hypothetical situation, no troubles with this combo as far as I am aware)... or if you install catless downpipes and a tune, there may be some conflict... BMW cannot afford to do anything like this and parts are fabbed with plenty of tolerance for other components (which we of course use to our advantage). The problem I find with aftermarket parts is that they often claim to be better than original parts, but rarely is the fit perfect in the sense that you would mistake the aftermarket part for an OEM one... this is not only from cars, but also from computers and RC cars...

Well, I'm just worried that once you start modding cars, they sort of loose their OEM-style fit and finish... no matter how you try, or what components you use, you'll never get it as good as from the factory.

I've had my fair share of modded computers, and while you have the time to mess around with them, its great... but there are those days you wish you just bought a Dell to get on with business...

As another example, I'll talk about my friends GTI... He's had it for almost 2 years now, its the Edition 30 model. Of course, he's into modding, and we often discuss what to mod on his car. Two weeks ago, we installed a new exhaust - the Eurojet R32-style cat-back. Installation was OK, to be honest, the fit of the product was quite good - but yes, it was only QUITE good. Once we got the bumper on, it could be seen that the exhaust was not aligned properly, so we'll have to check that out when its on the lift again... Once you started the car, the sound was nice, a deep rumble, not too ricey, but just loud enough to be heard... Well, two weeks have passed, and I'm not really sure if it was the correct move with the exhaust... sure, it doesn't sound bad, but when you're cruising on the highway, isn't there ever a time you just wished you had the stocker? For the OEM feel, if you know what I mean...

And think of what the car will be like 2 or 3 years later... modded things shine for a week or two, but then seem to fade faster than a comet passes over the horizon...

Take the example of an E46 M3... what would you rather have in your garage now... a like-new, E46 M3, stock, with no aftermarket components, or something like this:

I don't mean to offend the person the above M3 belongs to by any means, I'm just trying to say that it has lost it's shine, for me at least. It may be as reliable as an OEM M3 of the same age, it may even be more reliable, but that is not the point... it just doesn't look right, for some sort of reason.

I don't know how to further describe this feeling, but I think that there is something that OEM cars have that cannot be replicated.

And so, this brings me to my next point, the BMW performance catalog...

Well, I'm thinking of getting some parts from there, namely the Power pack, perhaps the exhaust, and the SSK.

SSK, there is no debate about, works well, and so there is no real need to go aftermarket...

Exhaust - well this is debatable. Of course, it doesn't perform as well as a catless AE/Eisenmann/Britalman/CPe/whathaveyou, but the thing is, its OEM, so the fit is likely to be better. Sound wise, you're trying to please everyone as BMW, so it'll be slightly louder than stock, but not too loud... just decently louder...

And lastly, the power kit... the most debatable of all - $4500 for a 20 hp and 40 nm power increase, with an added fan and cooler (of some sort, not sure if its oil, or water, or?). However, you get the OEM factor with it... BMW has spent their time thinking about what you are likely to do with the car, tested the kit under stress, tried out different combos... so, you get less than you would with a Procede/JB3, but it will be there for you for every day that you drive the car... it should not limp, and if it does, you have no worries about the guarantee.

I'm not sure if anyone can understand what I'm getting at. Its like going in to buy a second hand car... would you ever choose the tuned one? I'm betting no one would, because it has probably already lost its shine.

Its a feeling I cannot describe any better, but you feel that if you start changing out parts on the car, they it just never really feels right... dunno if anyone can sympathize... input welcome.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2009, 11:51 AM   #2
BillLee
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
09 E92 M3  [9.00]
just get oem parts?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2009, 12:00 PM   #3
spacedogg
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Debadged

Yup. I totally get you. You want to be conservative and very selective with the mods that you do.

I would plan around doing things/mods that will help with the longevity of the car:

- perhaps do oil change more frequently
- minor performance mods: like change brake lines to stainless steel braided or in your case the SSK.
- no "major" engine mods or aggressive tunes until factory warranty is over...and even then after I've done some more research on testimonials of tunes on the 335i after 50,000 miles
- perhaps think about intercooler and extra oil cooler to be added and run a relatively conservative tune.
- no exterior aerokit mods unless they are OEM (such as BMW Mtech).
- only light cosmetic mods such as wheels, OEM steering wheel, etc for now.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2009, 12:23 PM   #4
D_o_S
LCI'd
Rep
Drives: 335i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacedogg View Post
Yup. I totally get you. You want to be conservative and very selective with the mods that you do.

I would plan around doing things/mods that will help with the longevity of the car:

- perhaps do oil change more frequently
- minor performance mods: like change brake lines to stainless steel braided or in your case the SSK.
- no "major" engine mods or aggressive tunes until factory warranty is over...and even then after I've done some more research on testimonials of tunes on the 335i after 50,000 miles
- perhaps think about intercooler and extra oil cooler to be added and run a relatively conservative tune.
- no exterior aerokit mods unless they are OEM (such as BMW Mtech).
- only light cosmetic mods such as wheels, OEM steering wheel, etc for now.
Cool, someone understands
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2009, 12:30 PM   #5
juicedcubed
Phantom at large
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 e92 m3

my input is if you drive your car hard everyday, you will be over-working your turbos thus causing them to over-heat and malfunction.

if you give it some gas every now and then, there shouldnt be any major problems.
2008 335i Black Sapphire| Black Interior| Navi| Silver Aluminum Trim |Tint l BMS intake l JB3 l Riss Racing downpipes | Miro Staggered Hyper Silver 19 inch CSL Reps |Nitto 555's ***RIP 2011 335i Jet Black| Red Interior| Bone Stock ***RIP 2013 M3 Space Gray|Carbon Tint| Matte Black Eurotek CSL Wheels| Nokya White Halos| AFE Stage 2 intake| AFE Power Pulley| Reflector Delete|
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2009, 12:39 PM   #6
TofuTurkey
Gobble gobbledygook
Rep
Drives: 08 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_o_S View Post
Well, I'm just worried that once you start modding cars, they sort of loose their OEM-style fit and finish... no matter how you try, or what components you use, you'll never get it as good as from the factory.

Its a feeling I cannot describe any better, but you feel that if you start changing out parts on the car, they it just never really feels right... dunno if anyone can sympathize... input welcome.
I think you feel, perhaps subconsciously, that only BMW knows exactly what they are doing, and non-BMW folks selling mods don't. Hence there is this unease at the back of your mind that any changes you make is "wrong" for the car.

I thought a bit about getting coilovers to lower the front gap, until I saw Orb's posts on how "unbalanced" the spring rates are (I know nothing about those, so I'm just sort of parroting him, probably wrongly ) That got me to think that the car is more than just how each component performs: it's a combination of all of them. If I change something here, I need to look elsewhere to "balance" things so that overall, things work better than before. For mods, they're usually very focused on specific parts of the car, e.g. suspension, engine tunes, etc. What is that effect on the overall performance of the car? I don't know, but I tend to trust BMW more than people who build mods only for specific parts of the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2009, 12:41 PM   #7
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep
Drives: 997.2 Porsche C4S

I agree with the OP.. Now don't get me wrong some "modded" cars look really great. Lots of time and effort and pride were used to modify their already good looking cars.
But you are right with the point that this feeling never last too long (with me).

I have done 0 mods on my E46, 2 mods on my E90 (euro fogs, and Blacklines) both for safety reasons (and partly looks), and I'm planning no mods at all with my new E86.

I'll spend my "mod" money on more HPDE events...
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2009, 12:49 PM   #8
Cab5er
Colonel
China
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 M3 (Sold) 13 A1

I agree to a certain extent. But I think modded is way better than stock if its done clean.

E90 ///M3/ AW/ Fox Red
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2009, 01:00 PM   #9
methodtim
Brigadier General
Liechtenstein
Rep
Drives: Audi RS Q8

Garage List
Well, duh...
      03-22-2009, 01:03 PM   #10
TommyK
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i LCI

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i LCI  [0.00]
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
ya i think its cool to mod when the car is in style but then after its out of production it just seems weird to. its prob better to just have it looking stock and having mods that serve a purpose like tint, and head light/tail lights that increase the look a little but not screaming, "i bought last editions model for a bargin and used the money i would have spent on a new one putting on parts on the old one".

but i do think its good to mod a older style if its going to update the car. like a 2003 3 serries coupe, it didnt come with LED tail lights but if you wanted to get them put on now it would totally make sense and look sweet.

but moding i think is an art form that will allways be there. My opinion is that any hobby is good if it make you happy, helps the economy and builds up the community, and cars do just that.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2009, 01:13 PM   #11
ss134
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Hi,
My E90 335i arrives in May. It is coming with the M-Sport Kit and the only 'mod' i'm planning are the 19" OEM Performance wheels. I may consider the Power kit if its not too expensive-and thats it.
I guess it comes down to the individual-some people think vents, spoilers etc look good and i respect their views. I prefer the OEM look.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder after all.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2009, 01:22 PM   #12
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
Subtle changes is the best way to go. I feel you on "some aftermarket parts don't fit right". I've had my share with that. Recently, my cousin bought some aftermarket downpipes for his E90 335. I didn't see it, and I didn't know about it; however, my other cousin was telling the design and the way that thing fit is a joke. Now he is complaining of some foul smell. This is what I would do. IF I am purchasing an E90 335i: lowering springs, nice looking rims, and some good quality aftermarket exhaust. As far as the software tuning, I tend to lean towards Dinan products. MAny may argue that their stuff is overpriced. I purchased a Blower from them back in 99 for my E36 M3. The vortech supercharger started making grinding noises; looks like it is time for a new blower, and need I remind you that the warranty on the blower had expired. Dinan took care of everything labor and all, and I didn't even pay a dime. See, I like companies that offer exceptional customer service. Thus, lowering springs, wheels, exhaust and software tuning. That is it. Anything else is a waste to me. GL
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2009, 02:56 PM   #13
eeeboy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08M3 Space Gray DCT

isn't the 335 perfect the way it is? I'm confused...
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2009, 03:06 PM   #14
josephr25
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Garage List
I totally understand the OP's situation; if I ever decide to mod the car I would go w/ OEM or BMW Performance parts. I don't like putting parts from 20 different manufacturers onto my car. At that point I feel the car has lost a lot of its character and becomes another riced-out car... which is what that blue M3 looks like.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2009, 04:07 PM   #15
spacedogg
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Debadged

Quote:
Originally Posted by TofuTurkey View Post
I thought a bit about getting coilovers to lower the front gap, until I saw Orb's posts on how "unbalanced" the spring rates are (I know nothing about those, so I'm just sort of parroting him, probably wrongly ) That got me to think that the car is more than just how each component performs: it's a combination of all of them. If I change something here, I need to look elsewhere to "balance" things so that overall, things work better than before. For mods, they're usually very focused on specific parts of the car, e.g. suspension, engine tunes, etc. What is that effect on the overall performance of the car? I don't know, but I tend to trust BMW more than people who build mods only for specific parts of the car.
+1. For example, the swaybar discussion thread will have your head swimming...

It truly is a sum of the parts and you kinda need to have a plan from the start on what to do. Not just haphazardly go buy parts willy nilly (which is what most of us do due to budget).
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2009, 04:13 PM   #16
ims
RockStarish
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

I think that BMW has under rated the 335i so that they can sell their M3's. Maybe if BMW were to add all the things the 335i is missing (LSD, Curb Stability, larger Brakes, throttle response or remapping minor turbo elements) it would be called the M3 and the present day M3 would be some what of a HARTGE tune as they love throwing V8's in 3's.

The fact of the matter is M3 is over priced and 335i is priced just right, with some patience, research and mature steps you can have a lot more satisfaction from spending less than what you would on an M3. I had a clear choice between the 335i and M3 and yes I was tempted to go for the M3 but I like working on my cars to make them better I saw more potential in a simple 335i then the M3. The N54 Engine is produced by BMW who are i-6 veterans and have experimented with the new M3. I dont need to be taken by their CEO interests and Marketing geniuses, I know as an invidual of custom requirements I can produce a better product than BMW has to offer. And I am buying materials from them to make it.

Mods I am currently thinking of:

ECU/HARNESS/SOFTWARE (still researching not satisfied yet with anything )
Sway Bars (not touching springs, sprt pkg)
Exhaust (with all cats)
lighter Wheels better rubber
Interior Technology (TV/DVD leisure)
Numerous Visual upgrades (purely invidual taste)
SSK (I Agree on going as stock as possible without overpaying for less)
K&N Air Filter (No need for cones)
Scoops for better induction (thats why no need for cones)

Catch my drift, must take into concideration all elements of the vehicle from A to Z that are effected by the mod / upgrade.

BUT IF YOU ARE STILL UNSATISIFIED WITH MY EXPLANATION ON MODDING CARS,
Buy a Lambo, or Ferrari not from them but from Hamman or Novitech. thats ultimate satisfaction

In no way do I mean to throw in any mod or to experiment with mods, In fact I believe that only a select few people out their can actually mod their cars in ways to make them more eco-friendly or powerful or even both. Every
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2009, 04:25 PM   #17
HermesRider
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

I'll join in and agree with the OP. As far as cosmetic mods, I prefer the "factory tuned" look of m-tech and OEM parts when possible. I've had poor fitment with aftermarket gear, even as simple as an LED side marker.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2009, 04:31 PM   #18
JB335
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335is

Garage List
2011 BMW 335IS  [7.60]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eeeboy View Post
isn't the 335 perfect the way it is? I'm confused...
No such thing as perfect. I enjoy 400whp much more than the way it was stock. And I believe in the opposite. Do they heavy mods while the warranty is still in tact.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2009, 04:31 PM   #19
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep
Drives: White Boat

well there are tons of people on the forum that mod but if you think bout it, how many 335 owners are there all over the USA and the rest of the world?? yes, there are ALOT and most people dont mod a single thing on their car... i think you fall into this crowd - which makes up the majority of 335 owners... now there are the select few who are determined enough to make their 335s drive, feel and look better than stock (in their opinion at least) and lots of those people are on this forum...

now i fall into the category that loves mods... i wished i could afford more but i cant so i am happy with the few small mods i have here and there.

so i dont think its unusual for someone that only wants to stick to oem parts... you and thousands of other people out there feel the same way. my gf think its crazy to put a race muffler on my car but i like it and its my car so i do it anyway... if she ever owned a 335 or a m3, she would never do a mod like that.

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2016 Mini JCW
2013 GLK350 (gone), 997.1 GT3RS (gone), 2009 WRX STI (gone), e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2009, 04:41 PM   #20
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep
Drives: I Can not say

OP

You like myself and most of my friends, are getting old. You are starting to appreciate quality, and you have noticed that the factory (who has spent millions) does "it" better. Performance from the factory is always better quality (smoother, more reliable, better balanced, etc)
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2009, 04:50 PM   #21
BzzzBom
Major
Rep
Drives: 05 R53 MINI / 09 335i Coupe

How did the BMW Peformance tune get to $4500? I have heard it will be closer to 2,000. How many $4500 tunes could they sell considering Dinan is half and the SSTT or JB+ is approx. one tenth the price?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2009, 05:03 PM   #22
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep
Drives: I Can not say

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzzzBom View Post
How did the BMW Peformance tune get to $4500? I have heard it will be closer to 2,000. How many $4500 tunes could they sell considering Dinan is half and the SSTT or JB+ is approx. one tenth the price?
At 2000 or 4500 I bet they will sell more then anyone would expect. Since it is from BMW you will be able to roll the cost into your lease agreement or financing so it won't cost you that much more every month. Like a JCW Mini.
Appreciate 0