E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Engine malfunction error message..

03-20-2009, 07:42 PM   #1
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Engine malfunction error message..

Hi,

I got this message that said something like an engine malfunction and right after it said 'reducing engine power'... Not sure if anyone has faced this issue? Now when I drive my car, it drives damn slow compared to before.. I did some research and looks like some 335/5-series owners have experience this issue.. anyone with a 328i has this? To tell you more, I drove my car for sometime, then parked at a parking lot and turned off my car of about a minute and re-started it.. I didn't see the error message this time but my car was still driving slow.. after driving for sometime looks like the engine power came back but I'm still not sure May this is a hiccup in the system?

Here is one thread:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=291279

How serious is this issue and it is common in our cars? Can it be fixed quickly?

Thanks!
_______
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2009, 08:43 PM   #2
galahad05
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '07 335i e90

Beg/borrow/steal a code reader, and have the computer tell you what it thinks the problem is.

You can usually borrow a reader at an auto parts store like Autozone. Or you can take the car into the dealer and have them read the codes for you---for $150.00.
      03-20-2009, 09:11 PM   #3
e90kiddo
e90 at large
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

i got the same message before and it went away i think it was just a malfunction and it fixed itself never really thought about it and its been fine since. but if u do go to the dealer post back here and tell me how it goes d^_^b
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2009, 10:07 PM   #4
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep

So if the light goes away, that means the car is back to normal? I'm going on a long drive this weekend and will see how the car holds up.. I really don't want to go to the dealer though..
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2009, 11:43 PM   #5
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

Your car is in limp mode. It has cut off three cylinders to stop any damage to the engine. Take it in to the dealer ASAP. This is especially weird because you have a 328. I'd get it checked out pronto.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2009, 01:11 AM   #6
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
Your car is in limp mode. It has cut off three cylinders to stop any damage to the engine. Take it in to the dealer ASAP. This is especially weird because you have a 328. I'd get it checked out pronto.
Hmmm... not sure about that as it seems to be driving fine now! I can accelerate the way I used to and sports mode also behaves fine.. I spoke to the dealer and they said if it repeats again then bring it in. They also mentioned that it could be a system (computer) glitch which probably corrected itself.. For now, car is doing fine and the engine sounds normal.. If three cylinders were cut off, then I'd know immediately. Plus, the warning sign isn't there anymore.. I'm assuming here that when the malfunction warning sign goes away, that means the engine has corrected itself or is working fine.. correct me if I'm wrong.
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2009, 01:15 AM   #7
methodtim
Brigadier General
Liechtenstein
Rep
Drives: Audi RS Q8

Garage List
Meh, I would bring it in anyway. Do you really want another limp mode to occur when you're in the middle of the 5 with everyone going 90+ mph?
      03-21-2009, 01:40 AM   #8
Oulixes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 330xi, 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by deznium View Post
Hmmm... not sure about that as it seems to be driving fine now! I can accelerate the way I used to and sports mode also behaves fine.. Plus, the warning sign isn't there anymore.. I'm assuming here that when the malfunction warning sign goes away, that means the engine has corrected itself or is working fine.. correct me if I'm wrong.
Even though the car now behaves, the error code, which had been generated when you observed the problem, was stored on the error stack, and can be recovered using the equipment available at your dealer. The error code will tell the technician what happened to the car, and shall give you an idea how likely it is that the problem would re-occur. In my opinion, it is worthwhile to recover the error code.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2009, 11:45 AM   #9
drericmurray
Registered
Rep
Drives: e90

I had the same problem 1 year ago. The engine losses power to protect itself from further damage, limp mode. Took it to the dealer and they connected my E 90 to the diagnostic computer to retrieve the code. First, they said it was the micro fiber filter, the light went away but still the car did not run as it used to, and after a couple of days, went back and they said they had to change some spark cables, and that did not fix the problem, finally they changed the condenser and the car has run just fine since. As you can tell I am not a mechanic but the final the computer checks came fine and they could not find the problem because the handle in a step-by-step fashion, which sounded absolutely ridiculous way to fix a car. What "Trial and error"? The thing is, if your car is still under guarantee they will fix it and charge nothing, I insisted on this. If not you will do much better finding a really good BMW mechanic and let him solve it for you. The light and the loss of power will return soon if you don’t fix the problem that originated it.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2009, 12:29 PM   #10
AWMSPORT
1ST CLASS AWMSPORT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' 328 MSPORT

Garage List
Not sure if this helps but i have a 07 335 sedan, and i have thrown that code several times! Basically My teck told me it can be the waste gates or a few other things, (Dont remember what they are now sorry) They already replaced a part in my engine after the first time it happened. Every now and then it will happen. I noticed this occurs mainly when the engine is fairly cold and then i Really get on it (High RPM's) , or if i drive like a granny then start going for it, It will come on. So i pull over and shut the engine off for a min and it resets itself. He told me if it keeps happening that a part might b going and to bring it in. Hope this helps a little. sorry if it doesn't make sense.
'13 328i MSport, AW, Black Dakota leather, Premium Pkg, xenons, ///M Perf, side skirts,Front Lip, Fully coded, CF roundels, Matt Black Grillz, Painted reflectors (front & rear) Smoked tail lights, Plazma l.E.D White PY27W front turn signal,trunk spoiler, Matt Black roof, 8K D1S HID,Custom Exhaust,!
Soon:
JB4,DP,H&R sports,rear diff,!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2009, 01:13 PM   #11
methodtim
Brigadier General
Liechtenstein
Rep
Drives: Audi RS Q8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soon2B330i View Post
Hope this helps a little. sorry if it doesn't make sense.
Different engines, no help, fail.
      03-26-2009, 09:46 PM   #12
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep

The valvetronic motor was supposedly busted in my car.. it was jammed pretty badly and caused that error message to show up for 3 seconds and disappeared.. dealer replaced it and it's back to normal... Just be careful guys, if you get any sort of error message, get it checked immediately! Even if you notice anything weird in your car..

2009 BMW 328i

Last edited by buckybadger; 03-27-2009 at 01:53 AM..
Appreciate 0