BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-20-2009, 09:28 AM   #1
BlackjackMulligan
Most interesting Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3.0 Roady;'10 C300 Sport

Garage List
B&M SSK Install story (long)

So I installed my B&M short shifter last night. Unfortunately I don't have many pics, but the B&M instructions are pretty much spot on. The end result is a very nice short throw feel. Also, the price is outstanding ($195+ shipping/MA tax). FYI, this shifter is made for the E90 but fits our cars. It sits a little higher than the stock lever but not much. I'm not big on tiny shift levers anyway so this is fine for me. Bear in mind that it barely looks any different from factory using the stock knob and boot. I spoke at length with another forum member (The HACK) who has an inside source at B&M and he was able to get me enough info to make an informed decision to go with the shifter I got and not wait for the new specific 1 Series shifter to come out (PM me for specifics if you like). Thanks again to The HACK!

I ordered the shifter from Turner Motorsport and since they're also in MA I got it after a day or so via UPS ground. Upon initial inspection, I like how B&M uses a contained metal pivot ball within an aluminum collar. Seems more direct than the plastic ball.

So after dinner I go and get all my tools ready, and work on the removal part inside the car (very easy). I get my ramps ready and pull the car up on them to attack the under the car part of the install. I quickly found that my beer gut combined with the low stance of the car made it impossible to do the job on ramps. Sigh. Took the car off the ramps and put the inside back together aside from the thick rubber boot knowing I would try again the next night.

Next day I picked up 2 jack stands and a jack. Jacked up the right side and put the jack stands in and this gave me plenty of room to work. I took the inside apart again and went under the car. The first thing I noticed was that the clip that holds the shift lever to the carrier was totally different from the U shaped circlip in every picture that I've seen so far (see my "help" post). Keep in mind that this clip looks like it's about 3 miles away from me up in the innards of the undercarridge, beyond the exhaust, heatshield and driveshaft. And I'm on my back. So it's not like you can just examine it and play around until you figure it out. So finally I used a long screw driver and was able to bend the locking piece of the clip up enough to slide the clip slightly off and used needle nose pliers to pull it off the rest of the way. It was $hit luck that I didn't drop that SOB into the heat shield never to be found again. So now I'm figuring I'm home free. I went back in the car and easily removed the stock shift lever.

The next step is to transfer the factory plastic pivot cup from the stock lever to the B&M one. I got it off the old one easy enough but it wouldn't go on the B&M lever. It was a verrrrry tight fit. I wrestled with that for close to an hour. I ended up filing down some of the teeth on the pivot cup to facilitate sliding it over the new collar. By using a screwdriver and stretching it judiciously, I was able to finally pop it on to the collar.

Now I went back into the car to refit the new shift lever. I pressed the plastic cup back into the factory carrier but the damn thing wouldn't stay in. The new aluminum collar seems to prevent the plastic cup from properly setting down in the carrier enough to allow the plastic tabs to set in the grooves. Imagine my frustration as I use a hammer and punch to lightly tap the plastic tabs down into the steel carrier to set, and every time I grabbed the shift lever and pulled the whole assembly would come out in my hand. Ugh. This is the third or fourth step during the install that I feared I may not be able to get past. Finally after closely inspecting the plastic cup tabs and the carrier grooves I was able to situate the cup in the right position and tap the tabs down with a flat head screwdriver. Success......hopefully. I pulled hard on it and it's in there pretty good. I'm just hoping that it doesn't ever pop out!

Finally with the assembly in I went back under the car to wrestle with that clip again (it brings new meaning to "b1tch clip"). Someone on either this forum or another recommended tying a string to the clip in case you drop it- GREAT advice. I used dental floss and it did bail me out. I finally got the clip back on using a flashlight and needle nose pliers and reaching wayyyyy up into the undercarridge. It was like threading a needle, nearly blindfolded. I got it back on eventually and I was done except for putting everything back together. This went off without a hitch.

Moral of story? It can be done, but it's not easy. Please let me know if you have any questions and I'll be happy to help out any way I can. I've attached some photos below to reference what I was talking about. The first is the b1tch clip, the second is the shifters side by side. The plastic cup on the stock lever is the cup I had issues fitting on the blue collar on the B&M lever. Also notice that from the collar to the top of the lever they are almost the same height. The difference is below the collar, this is what makes throws shorter. Next are the instructions with good photos, and the final photo gives a good idea of what I was looking at.
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf B&M9500817-00[1].pdf (543.7 KB, 405 views)

- Joe Walsh

Last edited by BlackjackMulligan; 03-20-2009 at 11:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2009, 09:40 AM   #2
BMW_x5_Msport
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x5f15

nice work!
premium package
sport package
comfort access
premium hi-fi system
navigation that plays dvds
real time trafic ect.
ipod,hd,sat,
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2009, 11:14 AM   #3
mynew135
assistant to the regional manager
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Glad you got it working. I hope those nylon teeth hold for you. I tore my nylon up so bad taking it out, it would never have been reusable, but with the SSk I had, it didn't require reusing the nylon carrier.

Enjoy that short throw. Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2009, 04:09 PM   #4
Bdh821
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M550i

So when I get my ssk, will you help me?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2009, 12:30 PM   #5
BlackjackMulligan
Most interesting Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3.0 Roady;'10 C300 Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdh821 View Post
So when I get my ssk, will you help me?
You got it!

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2009, 02:45 PM   #6
ichiban
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

got any pictures of the ssk installed with the boot and shifter on?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2009, 03:42 PM   #7
BSM 135i
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08' BSM E82

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichiban View Post
got any pictures of the ssk installed with the boot and shifter on?
i added pictures of my B&M short shifter with stock boot and knob HERE. *IT IS STILL THE TALLER VERSION*
Appreciate 0