E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Why Do I Have Low Oil Pressure after Oil Change?

03-16-2009, 02:51 PM   #1
jhawk
Rep
Drives: 330xi

Why Do I Have Low Oil Pressure after Oil Change?

I changed the oil in my '06 330xi yesterday. There were no problems, everything went smoothly. But now, I have a yellow "Service Info" warning coming up: yellow oil can without the waves under the oil can. The owners manuel says this is a low oil pressure warning. I've been changing the oil on my cars for over 25 years. This is the first time this has happened.

The oil level is ok when I check it, but the word "Inactive" appears beneath the oil level monitor. Nothing else is there, just the oil monitor bar and "Inactive"

I did reset the computer after the oil change. So, why am I getting the low oil pressure warning?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 08:00 PM   #2
Oulixes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 330xi, 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhawk View Post
I changed the oil in my '06 330xi yesterday. ... I have a yellow "Service Info" warning coming up: yellow oil can without the waves under the oil can.

... why am I getting the low oil pressure warning?
My car is the same model as yours, and in addition to the oil service the dealer does, I too have done a few oil changes on my own. I cannot help you, since I've never had the same problem as you describe, but would like to post at least an encouragement. The only oil change minor irregularity my car exhibited was the behavior of the oil level gauge. After oil drainig and installing the correct volume of oil, the oil level gauge always displayed a level one bar short for approximately thirty miles, then the gauge settled on the correct level corresponding to the installed volume.

This may be unrelated:

Changing oil on my motorbike, I had a low oil pressure problem once, when the square gasket on the spin-on filter failed, causing a minor oil leak and major loss of oil pressure.

Are you sure that the the two O-rings, which seal the oil filter on the N52 engine, are OK? Can you see any oil seepage from the oil filter assembly?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 08:59 PM   #3
SoCalTech
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW yet...

If it says "Inactive" on the oil level readout, then there is a problem. It's either the oil condition sensor, dme, wiring, or another sensor on the BSD. I would take it to a dealer for diagnosis.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 09:03 PM   #4
noro
Colonel
Armenia
Rep
Drives: '91 M3, '04 E46 ZHP, '72 2002

If the level is correct the only thing I can think of is that there some sort of an obstruction in the oil filter housing that prevent the oil to travel freely. Check the filter and make sure everything is in place correctly. Next step would be a trip to the dealer.
      03-17-2009, 11:28 AM   #5
jhawk
Rep

Thanks for all the responses. I'll pull the oil filter and make sure everything is on properly and re-installed properly. The "Inactive" status on the oil level monitor was there even before the oil change. I probably will have to have a dealer check that out. Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 02:09 PM   #6
Oulixes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for all the responses. I'll pull the oil filter and make sure everything is on properly and re-installed properly. The "Inactive" status on the oil level monitor was there even before the oil change. I probably will have to have a dealer check that out. Thanks again.
Good luck. Would you post when you have the problem resolved?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 06:51 PM   #7
jhawk
Rep

Well, I pulled the oil filter and it and the o-rings were on correctly. I did notice that the very tip of the plastic part that the small green o-ring goes around was chewed up a bit. I don't know if it was like that before I changed the oil or not.

If not, maybe I damaged it somehow when I changed the oil and platic bits got into the oil supply and are partially blocking a hole. No debris anywhere that I could find when I sucked out all the oil in the filter housing, though. I did see a small black bit of something (could have been plastic) on the filter. So, if there is something blocking a hole hopefully it'll work it's way loose and not damage anything (like a bearing!) and end up in the oil pan or filter.

Is there something like an oil system flush like there is for radiators? Thanks for your help and interest.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 10:19 PM   #8
SoCalTech
Captain
United_States
Rep

That o-ring is supposed to be replaced at every oil change, a new one comes in the package. If it's chewed up, it might be letting oil past it, causing your problem. Replace that o-ring and see if it helps. Just to clarify, the oil filter package should have an oil filter, crush washer, large black o-ring, and small o-ring.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 11:13 PM   #9
dkhm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalTech View Post
That o-ring is supposed to be replaced at every oil change, a new one comes in the package. If it's chewed up, it might be letting oil past it, causing your problem. Replace that o-ring and see if it helps. Just to clarify, the oil filter package should have an oil filter, crush washer, large black o-ring, and small o-ring.
U da man SoCalTech- thanks for being around!

Previously:
1999 M3 2002 M3 2005 S4 2008 C63 2015 M3 2016 X5M 2019 911S
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 11:31 PM   #10
SoCalTech
Captain
United_States
Rep

No problem man. Just remember who to come and see for your next high pressure fuel pump...
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 11:47 PM   #11
Oulixes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Is there something like an oil system flush like there is for radiators? Thanks for your help and interest.
There apparently is, but I've only had it described at a BMW dealership, I've never seen nor used it. Fortunately, SoCalTech responded, and he is a professional, he would know.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2009, 12:00 AM   #12
SoCalTech
Captain
United_States
Rep

There is an oil system flush by the way, but it's more for de-sludging engines.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2009, 09:29 AM   #13
jhawk
Rep

Thanks for the responses. I did install both new o-rings and new crush washer when I did the oil change. When I pulled the filter yesterday to double-check my work, both o-rings were intact and in their proper place. The part that was somewhat chewed up was the very tip of the platic rod that the green o-ring goes around.

The part I'm referring too is hard to describe (and maybe unique to the xi, but I doubt that) but it looks just like the tip of a phillips-head screw driver. Four ridges in the shape of a plus sign (+), with one of the ridges missing. The green o-ring sits about a quarter inch below this tip.

I'm just wondering if a bit of plastic from this tip got into the lubrication system and is blocking the oil flow. If so, I'm wondering if an oil system flush might dislodge it.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2009, 09:52 AM   #14
jhawk
Rep

Well, this problem seems to have cleared up on its own. For the past two days I've not had the low oil pressure warning. I didn't do anything to try and fix the problem. If there was a bit of plastic or grit in the lubrication system, maybe it's no longer a problem. Maybe the computer just needed a few days to reset itself after the oil change. It did take the computer a few days to register the new oil level that was in the car, so maybe....

Thanks for the help and suggestions.
Appreciate 0