E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > How to deal with BMWNA for ongoing problems?

03-16-2009, 11:51 AM   #1
homer2424
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i Sedan

How to deal with BMWNA for ongoing problems?

I purchased a 2006 330i on April of last year. Love the car and the way it drives but i have constant problems, particularly with rattles. The back deck has a horrible rattle (yes, I am picky but everyone can here it) and I have had the car in 6 times about it. The dealership has been very responsive and in the last appointment took instructions printed from here and padded everything as instructed (according to them of course). The last time it stopped for a day and came back.

On top of this I have a rattle in the sunroof (admittedly harder to identify) that has been mentioned in 4 of the appointments and has not been fixed either. On top of this I have had to have the door handles replaced, brackets put on the headlight, "ignition" fixed (wasn't grabbing key which would fall out when I floored it) and a few other small items I cannot recall at the moment.

At this point I just want to get rid of the car. What is the best way to contact BMWNA on this matter? Are they usually responsive? I would appreciate any suggestions. I love the car and would ideallly like BMW to buy it back or replace in with a similar (not a new) car. Any chance of either?

While I bought this used from a Lexus dealership (only manual I could find) in reading up on lemon laws in virginia they would still apply and I meet two of the 3 criteria (only need one). 1. Car has been in more than 3 times on the same problem 2. car has been in the shop more than 30 days in the past 18 months (I would say more like 40-45 in less than a year). This should give me significant leverage in talking to BMW.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 11:55 AM   #2
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

There is a representative for BMW NA who lurks on here. Make enough noise, and he'll show up in your thread like herpes.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 11:57 AM   #3
Orient330iNYC
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer2424 View Post
While I bought this used from a Lexus dealership (only manual I could find) in reading up on lemon laws in virginia they would still apply and I meet two of the 3 criteria (only need one). 1. Car has been in more than 3 times on the same problem 2. car has been in the shop more than 30 days in the past 18 months (I would say more like 40-45 in less than a year). This should give me significant leverage in talking to BMW.
What's the Lemon Law?

If your new vehicle is a lemon, Virginia's Lemon Law requires the manufacturer of the car to refund your money or replace the vehicle.
Past: 2019 G01 M40i ZDA/2VF/ZPP/ZPX/688/3AC
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 12:00 PM   #4
RBBMWE46M3
blaupunkt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spman montego

Garage List
2008 x5  [0.00]
1972 R75/5  [0.00]
2008 335xi  [0.00]
BMWNA???? hahahahahahah good luck!!
      03-16-2009, 12:01 PM   #5
STE92VE
STEVIL Empire
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Quote:
At this point I just want to get rid of the car. What is the best way to contact BMWNA on this matter? Are they usually responsive? I would appreciate any suggestions. I love the car and would ideallly like BMW to buy it back or replace in with a similar (not a new) car. Any chance of either?
Send a letter (return receipt requested) outlining your problems along copies of all the service records you have saved, addressed to:

BMW of North America, LLC
300 Chestnut Ridge Road
Woodcliff Lake, NJ 07677-7731
Quote:
I didn't think that lemon laws pertained to used cars...Caveat Emptor?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 12:06 PM   #6
ejazbmw
blahhh
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235I

bmwna is a joke they wouldn't help me with my problem
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 12:27 PM   #7
Fraggy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

The way BMW manages problems these days is pathetic. Its very sad to see our company go down this road.
2020 M340
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 12:34 PM   #8
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Wow, so your four year old E90 has a few rattles? Deal with it.
We bought a CPO 330i recently and i have ALL the rattles that you mention, i have never asked for the dealer to buy the car back. The golden rule is never to take the car back about rattles, they only get worse.

This is such a Joke...

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 12:37 PM   #9
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2fire View Post
The golden rule is never to take the car back about rattles, they only get worse.

yea because when/if they take it apart to fix one rattle, it will go back together slightly different creating 4 more, rattles breed like rabbits
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 12:43 PM   #10
homer2424
Rep

As to the lemon law there was a VA supreme court ruling in 1998 that held Subaru liable on a for a car that was formerly a Hertz rental car! Not saying a agree with it but that was the ruling.

I hear what everyone is saying about rattles but I live in a row house with no driveway or place to work on the car myself. I'm pretty much at the mercy of the dealer.

To the person that says deal with the rattle, I disagree. If they car is under warranty and rattles are covered it should be fixed. I'm not talking a tiny rattle, I can hear it with the stereo almost all the way up!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 01:01 PM   #11
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Okay, try getting it fixed properly then. I refuse to believe that a car this old and with more than one owner stands a chance of getting bought back by BMW. They are delinquent even dealing with problems on brand new cars.

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 01:20 PM   #12
p4junk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '06 330i Monaco Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2fire View Post
Wow, so your four year old E90 has a few rattles? Deal with it.
We bought a CPO 330i recently and i have ALL the rattles that you mention, i have never asked for the dealer to buy the car back. The golden rule is never to take the car back about rattles, they only get worse.

This is such a Joke...
For what it's worth, i have NONE of the problems mentioned - no problems at all so far. Just wanted to reflect that it's not necessarily normal/expected that a 4/5 year old 330i rattle.

Have you thought of what your next step is going to be if you take it in and it has MORE rattles? It's certainly a possibility.

I would assume that you would have far better success getting rid of the car on your own than getting BMWNA involved.

Finally, you take-off and the key pops out??? Door handles replaced? RATTLES? Is this thing CPO'd? I would also be looking to dump this thing before it looses any more value, ESPECIALLY if this is your first BMW (it is for me).
| 6SP MT | Premium Package | Sport Package | Active Steering | Comfort Access | Navigation | Satellite Radio | Logic7 | Heated Front Seats | OEM Blacklines | Matte Black Grilles | Shadowline Trim | BMW Performance Intake | LUX 5.1 { 52,000mls }
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 01:30 PM   #13
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by p4junk View Post
Finally, you take-off and the key pops out??? Door handles replaced? RATTLES? Is this thing CPO'd? I would also be looking to dump this thing before it looses any more value, ESPECIALLY if this is your first BMW (it is for me).
Dont know what the point is. If you had read some of the OP's posts, you would know that the car he bought is not a CPO. As for mine, it is doing fine except for rattles and the occasional software glitch.

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 02:06 PM   #14
homer2424
Rep

I am hoping it is just my particular car. I LOVE the car other than the problems I've had. I am not neccessarily looking to get BMW to buy it back, I just want it fixed! I would be perfectly happy if they replaced it with another of the same car.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 02:31 PM   #15
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

BMW NA sells new cars to BMW dealers. The dealers are their customers. The dealers' customers are of limited interest to BMW NA.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 02:42 PM   #16
p4junk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '06 330i Monaco Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleedy View Post
BMW NA sells new cars to BMW dealers. The dealers are their customers. The dealers' customers are of limited interest to BMW NA.
I generally agree with you, though i think you could've phrased your opinion a little better. BMW does care about the dealer's customers - that's who they(BMW) are in business for.

In this case, i think BMWNA will care less because the car's had more than one owner, and it's not CPO'd. Moreover, the OP isn't complaining about a life threatening issue - were he to, i'm sure he'd get their attention - fast. So the question is, will BMWNA spend resources on this 4/5yr old discontinued car, or on issues with a '09 335?
| 6SP MT | Premium Package | Sport Package | Active Steering | Comfort Access | Navigation | Satellite Radio | Logic7 | Heated Front Seats | OEM Blacklines | Matte Black Grilles | Shadowline Trim | BMW Performance Intake | LUX 5.1 { 52,000mls }
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 02:44 PM   #17
bmw-hoya
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleedy View Post

I think that's taking it to the extreme. Realistically speaking, BMWNA is more on the hook than the dealers are, since they are the deeper pocket. I think the OP just has to make enough noise (even though I agree with the other posters that the problem isn't worth it in this instance).

"Look, we are all reasonable men here. We don't have to give assurances as if we were lawyers." (Godfather: Part II)
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 04:28 PM   #18
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
Canada
Rep
Drives: circles around you

let me sum up your story.

Your car's got lots of rattles.

You want to use the Lemon Law for rattles. LOL

You want BMW to buy it back, more LOL.

Good Luck, that's all I can say.

Quote:
I purchased a 2006 330i on April of last year. Love the car and the way it drives but i have constant problems, particularly with rattles. The back deck has a horrible rattle (yes, I am picky but everyone can here it) and I have had the car in 6 times about it. The dealership has been very responsive and in the last appointment took instructions printed from here and padded everything as instructed (according to them of course). The last time it stopped for a day and came back.

On top of this I have a rattle in the sunroof (admittedly harder to identify) that has been mentioned in 4 of the appointments and has not been fixed either. On top of this I have had to have the door handles replaced, brackets put on the headlight, "ignition" fixed (wasn't grabbing key which would fall out when I floored it) and a few other small items I cannot recall at the moment.

03-16-2009, 04:31 PM   #19
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
Canada
Rep
Drives: circles around you

rattles are addressed within first year of new car ownership, after that, you're SOL.

Quote:
As to the lemon law there was a VA supreme court ruling in 1998 that held Subaru liable on a for a car that was formerly a Hertz rental car! Not saying a agree with it but that was the ruling.

I hear what everyone is saying about rattles but I live in a row house with no driveway or place to work on the car myself. I'm pretty much at the mercy of the dealer.

To the person that says deal with the rattle, I disagree. If they car is under warranty and rattles are covered it should be fixed. I'm not talking a tiny rattle, I can hear it with the stereo almost all the way up!
      03-16-2009, 04:39 PM   #20
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

In my experience with older cars it seems that rattles result from worn/aging rubber that starts to squeak or from trim that is slightly loose. If you took the trim apart, put some lubricant on the rubber and put some double sided tape on the areas that rattle you should be able to resolve the issue. have someone else drive, sit in the area with the rattle, and then when it rattles put your hand on the trim to see if that stops the rattle to identify areas that need attention

also, take all of your stuff out of the door pockets and center console. sometimes the squeak seems to come from trim but is really from loose items

good luck. i read the cpo warranty a while ago and i'm pretty sure squeaks aren't covered. you're lucky your dealership is stepping up to the plate to try and help you. proceed with caution about making a stink, because you would likely be penalizing your dealer for trying to help you
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 05:39 PM   #21
homer2424
Rep

Thanks again for everyone offering suggestions. I have ridden and ID'd the location, ridden with the tech several times to help locate them and taken everything out of the car too. Its not that they don't hear them, they just can't fix them. I have no complaints as to the dealership, they have spent a ton of time on it and I have been as nice as possible. FYI - the car is not a CPO but still under the factory warranty and rattles are covered under the original warranty (not under CPO).

To those making it out like I want BMW to buy my car back due to one rattle, I am not trying to get BMW to buy it back necessarily, I would prefer to just get it fixed. I would also be happy with some assistance on getting a different one or having it replaced with an identical car. I am not trying to take advantage of anyone, I just want a car than performs as advertised.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 07:08 PM   #22
Dascamel
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3, 2010 e91 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejazbmw View Post
bmwna is a joke they wouldn't help me with my problem
I had my issue resolved, need to make an intelligent case.
Appreciate 0