E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > e90 key malfunction

03-13-2009, 01:52 PM   #1
edmd
Registered
Rep
Drives: black 325xi

e90 key malfunction

hello everyone,
I have a 2006 325xi and I recently brought my car to a collision shop to replace a cracked windshield. When we picked the car up, the key was malfunctioning; and the collision shop states they "only removed the windshield." the problem with the key is that it will not slide into the slot. You can push it half way in with resistance, and while halfway in, push the start button to start the car and then put the key in your pocket (I do not have comfort access.) The dashboard shows a picture of a key with a line through it. this problem exists with both keys. anyone have any suggestions on what could be the problem? I have an appt with my dealership in a week, but am so PO at the collision shop now that I want to know what happened.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 03:34 PM   #2
methodtim
Brigadier General
Liechtenstein
Rep
Drives: Audi RS Q8

Garage List
Is the problem:

1) The key fob won't go all the way into the slot
2) The key fob won't stay in the slot
3) The car won't recognize the key when it's in the slot
4) All of the above

This is a stupid simple suggestion, but have to taken a look inside the slot with a flashlight to see if there's anything in there?
      03-13-2009, 03:40 PM   #3
edmd
Registered
Rep

number 1 and 2. it goes into the slot half way, with resistance. the car recognizes the key, and starts when you push the button, but the key is not in enough to balance itself, and gets pushed out. there is nothing in the key slot. you can feel the two "prongs" on either side of the slot in the position to lock the key into place.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 03:41 PM   #4
methodtim
Brigadier General
Liechtenstein
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmd View Post
number 1 and 2. it goes into the slot half way, with resistance. the car recognizes the key, and starts when you push the button, but the key is not in enough to balance itself, and gets pushed out. there is nothing in the key slot. you can feel the two "prongs" on either side of the slot in the position to lock the key into place.
The spring may be broken. This may or may not have anything to do with your windshield work. I'd definitely take it in.
      03-13-2009, 03:42 PM   #5
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Is it an automatic?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 04:08 PM   #6
edmd
Registered
Rep

yes, it is an automatic
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 04:13 PM   #7
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

They probably left the car in gear and tried to get out and take the key with them. It won't let go of it, but if you're determined enough, you can pull it out and damage the internals of the mechanism. I accidentally did this to my loaner one day.... But it wasn't permanently screwed up. It just didn't fit as snugly and as surely as before....
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 04:15 PM   #8
methodtim
Brigadier General
Liechtenstein
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
They probably left the car in gear and tried to get out and take the key with them. It won't let go of it, but if you're determined enough, you can pull it out and damage the internals of the mechanism. I accidentally did this to my loaner one day.... But it wasn't permanently screwed up. It just didn't fit as snugly and as surely as before....
Oh, that's a really theory.
      03-13-2009, 04:35 PM   #9
edmd
Registered
Rep

That is what the dealership stated probably happened. I called the collision shop and they gave me the line, "we deal with these cars all the time, we know how to remove the key" blah blah blah
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 07:41 PM   #10
jpsum
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 TSX

sounds like they broke it.
Appreciate 0