E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Adaptive light direction

03-11-2009, 10:14 PM   #1
Lowcruzr
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335, '99 Civic Si, BUB

Adaptive light direction

Hey all, has anyone pulled up to a garage or wall and seen which direction thier Adaptive lamps actually move when turning the wheel? I turned the wheel to the right and both Xenon lamps moved towards the center. One high beam lamp came on, greatly illuminating the area in the direction of the turn (that's the point), but I figured the Xenon lamp on that side would also move in that same direction. It doesn't. Does that seem odd???
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2009, 10:16 PM   #2
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

The lights don't move to the left significantly as to not blind on coming drivers when you are standing still. When you are moving is when you'll see both headlamps move. If you have a coupe, then your cornering lights will turn on below I think 25.

P.S. One high beam can't come on. It's both or none. And it's not automatic. You have to pull the stalk.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2009, 10:17 PM   #3
MCMLXXXIX
wat
Rep
Drives: a gr3at whit3 5hark

not the entire headlight moves. im pretty sure they do stay straight and separate lights turn with you. and when you make sharp turns you get that corner light going on like you listed

2012 Toyota Highlander SE - PAST - 2008 e92 335i, 2006 e90 325i
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2009, 10:23 PM   #4
Lowcruzr
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I was standing in front of the car with my wife turning the wheel. Both Xenon lamps angle in towards the center, and JUST ONE high beam lamp comes on (same side as the direction your turning). I just think that both Xenons would move towards the direction your turning. Instead, one moves in the opposite direction of the turn.

I'll get a pic of the single high beam tomorrow... it's late on the East Coast.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2009, 10:35 PM   #5
beto_L.A.
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330i

On my '09 E90 the high & low beam is the xenon lights, the other 2 lights are the adaptive lamps, so when I turn the steering wheel you see the Xenons move plus the adaptive lamp turns on on the direction of the steering wheel, if I go in reverse both adaptive lamps will turn on.I know this is new for the '09 E90 not sure for the E92....

But the xenons do turn slightly to the direction of the steering wheel on my car....

good luck!!!
      03-11-2009, 11:10 PM   #6
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beto_L.A. View Post
On my '09 E90 the high & low beam is the xenon lights, the other 2 lights are the adaptive lamps, so when I turn the steering wheel you see the Xenons move plus the adaptive lamp turns on on the direction of the steering wheel, if I go in reverse both adaptive lamps will turn on.I know this is new for the '09 E90 not sure for the E92....

But the xenons do turn slightly to the direction of the steering wheel on my car....

good luck!!!

The adaptive headlights aren't the corner illuminating lights. Those are called Cornering lights.

The headlights are adaptive. The Bi-Xenons move with the wheel. That's what they mean by adaptive. The cornering lights do not move with the wheel. You perceoption of what the adaptive lights are is completely wrong.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2009, 11:14 PM   #7
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowcruzr View Post
I was standing in front of the car with my wife turning the wheel. Both Xenon lamps angle in towards the center, and JUST ONE high beam lamp comes on (same side as the direction your turning). I just think that both Xenons would move towards the direction your turning. Instead, one moves in the opposite direction of the turn.

I'll get a pic of the single high beam tomorrow... it's late on the East Coast.
That's not a high beam. That's your cornering light. The cornering light turns on when you turn the wheel in a certain direction below a certain speed. Your high beams are the Bi-Xenons. If you turn your steering wheel left, then the left cornering light comes on. If you go right, then the right comes on. The middle lights are NOT I repeat NOT your high beams. Both lamps turn towards the way you are driving. If your light goes the other way, that needs to be checked out.

P.S.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 12:16 AM   #8
methodtim
Brigadier General
Liechtenstein
Rep
Drives: Audi RS Q8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
That's not a high beam. That's your cornering light. The cornering light turns on when you turn the wheel in a certain direction below a certain speed. Your high beams are the Bi-Xenons. If you turn your steering wheel left, then the left cornering light comes on. If you go right, then the right comes on. The middle lights are NOT I repeat NOT your high beams. Both lamps turn towards the way you are driving. If your light goes the other way, that needs to be checked out.

P.S.
Hot is completely right. Have your wife stand in front of the car and high beam her to test this. While she's blinded, run her over for good measure.
      03-12-2009, 12:36 AM   #9
HermesRider
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

Easiest way to see what they do is drive around curvy neighborhood roads with high beams on at night. Looks really cool. Just pay attention to the road!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 08:19 AM   #10
Lowcruzr
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

P.S.
huh?

I did and it does mention the cornering lamp (on page 84 of the E92 manual), which I thought was a high beam. My bad. But while you were so busy roasting me for not , you obviously didn't . My question focused around the fact that I think one of my headlamps wasn't going in what I thought would be the correct direction. I was asking if they both moved in the same direction; when I read my manual, it merely states that "...the light from the headlamp follows the course of the road." At what point does the manual tell me that BOTH headlamps (mind you that is plural, unlike the manuals singular use of the word... ) should move in the direction of the wheel???
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 08:27 AM   #11
HermesRider
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

Like I said, drive with the high beams on to find your answer. They will function differently when the car is stopped as another poster has already mentioned.

I get both lights moving side to side if that helps.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 08:41 AM   #12
Lowcruzr
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Thanks Hermes + Beto! Seriously, that was the type of simple, non-sarcastic answer I was looking for. I'll try out the high-beams tonight.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 11:04 AM   #13
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
huh?

I did and it does mention the cornering lamp (on page 84 of the E92 manual), which I thought was a high beam. My bad. But while you were so busy roasting me for not , you obviously didn't . My question focused around the fact that I think one of my headlamps wasn't going in what I thought would be the correct direction. I was asking if they both moved in the same direction; when I read my manual, it merely states that "...the light from the headlamp follows the course of the road." At what point does the manual tell me that BOTH headlamps (mind you that is plural, unlike the manuals singular use of the word... ) should move in the direction of the wheel???
Both headlamps move in the direction the wheel is turned. The inside light only turns 5 degrees as to not blind on coming drivers. The sensitivity of the lights depends how fast you are going.

By the way, The Manuel does have all this information. So again. If I can find it, so can you.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 11:06 AM   #14
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by methodtim View Post
Hot is completely right. Have your wife stand in front of the car and high beam her to test this. While she's blinded, run her over for good measure.
That had me cracked up for a good while.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 12:34 PM   #15
Lowcruzr
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Both headlamps move in the direction the wheel is turned. The inside light only turns 5 degrees as to not blind on coming drivers. The sensitivity of the lights depends how fast you are going.

By the way, The Manuel does have all this information. So again. If I can find it, so can you.
Whatever. 5 degrees... That is really posted in the manual? Where?! Appearantly you have a special edition manual. So special that it doesn't contain page numbers to back that claim up. Find me a page number with that information on it and I'll gladly concede.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 12:45 PM   #16
methodtim
Brigadier General
Liechtenstein
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hey all, has anyone pulled up to a garage or wall and seen which direction thier Adaptive lamps actually move when turning the wheel? I turned the wheel to the right and both Xenon lamps moved towards the center. One high beam lamp came on, greatly illuminating the area in the direction of the turn (that's the point), but I figured the Xenon lamp on that side would also move in that same direction. It doesn't. Does that seem odd???
Quote:
Whatever. 5 degrees... That is really posted in the manual? Where?! Appearantly you have a special edition manual. So special that it doesn't contain pages numbers to back that claim up. Find me a page number with that information on it and I'll gladly concede.
I can't find the .5 degrees thingamajiggy, but there's definitely info in the manual regarding your original issue. See attached, which is all I could find in 30 seconds of searching:
Attached Images

03-12-2009, 12:56 PM   #17
Lowcruzr
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by methodtim View Post
I can't find the .5 degrees thingamajiggy, but there's definitely info in the manual regarding your original issue. See attached, which is all I could find in 30 seconds of searching:
That's the exact same thing I quoted earlier in the post which, btw, I also found in 30 seconds of searching. It says nothing about the .5 degrees now does it. I just don't know why some guys find it so hard to provide simple answers to simple questions like Hermes and Beto did.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 12:58 PM   #18
methodtim
Brigadier General
Liechtenstein
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I just don't know why some guys find it so hard to provide simple answers to simple questions like Hermes and Beto did.
Because some questions are stupid. I can't be held responsible for your missing sense of humor. You should have that thing lojacked or something as it's kind of valuable.
      03-12-2009, 12:58 PM   #19
Highflyr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i E90

PG. 52
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 01:00 PM   #20
Highflyr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i E90

ok nvm I made that up
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 01:01 PM   #21
methodtim
Brigadier General
Liechtenstein
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highflyr View Post
PG. 52
Of which manual?

Pre-LCI E90/91 with iDrive?
Pre-LCI E90/91 without iDrive?
LCI E90/91 with iDrive?
LCI E90/91 without iDrive?
E92/93 with iDrive?
E92/93 without iDrive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highflyr View Post
ok nvm I made that up
Oh, hahahaha, ok.
      03-12-2009, 01:02 PM   #22
Xander
I'm new
United_States
Rep
Drives: 997 Turbo, F80 M3, CC & Yukon

I'm gonna go home and take a look. I have seen it on the wall, but never actually looked to see what is going on in the light itself

X...
Appreciate 0