E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Detroit 3 Across America-Opinion

04-18-2005, 10:09 AM   #1
sierramadre
Rep
Drives:

Detroit 3 Across America-Opinion

I liked it. A lot.

The exterior is understated but very muscular, particularly with the 18" wheels and tires. The fit and finish was classic BMW. High quality with very tight tolerances. However, the doors seemed a little lighter than the previous generation. They closed with the same reasuring bankvault solidness but they lacked the heft of the old doors. The Xenon headlights were stunning and truly looked like jewelry. The Angel Eye treatment is unique and should make the new 3 series highly distinctive going down the road.

The interior, without the IDrive, is very utilitarian and functional, but a little plain for my taste. I prefer the more sophisticated look of the dash with the Navigation system, even though it may be a bit of technology-gone-awry for a 'driver's' car. I loved the combination of the aluminum trim with the black interior. Understated but very rich and its REAL aluminum, not painted plastic like some competitors are offering. Front head room, even with the moonroof, is not an issue. I'm 6'2" and wore a baseball cap and had plenty of clearance.

I believe paint color will make a huge difference on the appearance of this car. Titanium, as usual, looked terrific and highlighted the character lines of the vehicle. The graphite was also very attractive in natural sunlight but aquired a little purplish hue when viewed in indirect light. Not unnatractive, just a little different. In my opinion, basic jet black still works best. It adds a little classic touch to the new generation BMW and I like the way it works with the tasteful chrome accents on the 330i. Also, the 18" wheels looked killer with the black car.

The most dissapointing feature on the car was the lack of wheel choices. To me, they were all fairly forgettable with the exception of the 18" SP wheels on the 330i.

I'm a believer. I ordered my 330i last week.

Last edited by sierramadre; 04-18-2005 at 01:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2005, 10:53 AM   #2
YYdoodle
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 fanatic

Thanks for the write-up. As more and more of these events are completed it means we're getting close to release folks!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2005, 01:13 PM   #3
mduchesne
Private
Rep
Drives: 06 Jet Black 330i

I love hearing that you loved the Jet Black. I cannot wait to get my jet black 330i.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2005, 03:37 PM   #4
BMWAustin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierramadre
I liked it. A lot.

The exterior is understated but very muscular, particularly with the 18" wheels and tires. The fit and finish was classic BMW. High quality with very tight tolerances. However, the doors seemed a little lighter than the previous generation. They closed with the same reasuring bankvault solidness but they lacked the heft of the old doors. The Xenon headlights were stunning and truly looked like jewelry. The Angel Eye treatment is unique and should make the new 3 series highly distinctive going down the road.

The interior, without the IDrive, is very utilitarian and functional, but a little plain for my taste. I prefer the more sophisticated look of the dash with the Navigation system, even though it may be a bit of technology-gone-awry for a 'driver's' car. I loved the combination of the aluminum trim with the black interior. Understated but very rich and its REAL aluminum, not painted plastic like some competitors are offering. Front head room, even with the moonroof, is not an issue. I'm 6'2" and wore a baseball cap and had plenty of clearance.

I believe paint color will make a huge difference on the appearance of this car. Titanium, as usual, looked terrific and highlighted the character lines of the vehicle. The graphite was also very attractive in natural sunlight but aquired a little purplish hue when viewed in indirect light. Not unnatractive, just a little different. In my opinion, basic jet black still works best. It adds a little classic touch to the new generation BMW and I like the way it works with the tasteful chrome accents on the 330i. Also, the 18" wheels looked killer with the black car.

The most dissapointing feature on the car was the lack of wheel choices. To me, they were all fairly forgettable with the exception of the 18" SP wheels on the 330i.

I'm a believer. I ordered my 330i last week.

Can you please elobrate more the Sparkling Graphite color? Do you have pictures?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2005, 04:08 PM   #5
sierramadre
Rep
Drives:

The paint turns different colors in different light. It's subtle but its definitely there. Sorry I don't have any pictures.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2005, 05:18 PM   #6
BMWAustin
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
The paint turns different colors in different light. It's subtle but its definitely there. Sorry I don't have any pictures.
That's ok, thanks for the response.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2005, 05:46 PM   #7
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Speaking of jet black, have you guys checked out the official black e90 photo thread http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128 in the image/video section of e90post.com yet? These are the first "real" pics I've seen outside of the ones we've seen from the auto shows. Wow I'm really glad I went with Jet Black. It really looks great!

Here's a titanium silver gallery, too.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2005, 07:21 PM   #8
roburado
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 Passat, '09 Cayman S

Garage List
1991 318is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWAustin
Can you please elobrate more the Sparkling Graphite color? Do you have pictures?
Thanks

Click here for Sparkling Graphite pics from Detroit
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2005, 10:22 PM   #9
BMWAustin
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roburado
Hi roburado,
That's an awesome writeup.
What's your impression about the SG color?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2005, 10:36 PM   #10
Ewrek
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

I think the pictures in the official black e90 thread was sapphire black.....Sapphire black rules!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2005, 07:19 AM   #11
Mark
Administrator
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
Quote:
However, the doors seemed a little lighter than the previous generation.
I noticed a difference in my E46. My 2000 E46 had these very very heavy doors that just gave you confidence, but my 2002 E46 felt like the doors were alot lighter. They still closed with the bankvault solidity like you said, but it was lighter feeling. I think BMW made an effort to loose weight there, which is a very good thing in my book, because my 2002 does feel a little faster then my 2000 did

Quote:
I loved the combination of the aluminum trim with the black interior. Understated but very rich and its REAL aluminum, not painted plastic like some competitors are offering.
YES!! exactly what I wanted to hear, real aluminimum is great, BMW had painted plastic on the e46, but now using real aluminum is perfect, i'm a happy person today

Quote:
I believe paint color will make a huge difference on the appearance of this car.
I agree. great writeup, I cant wait to get mine !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      04-19-2005, 10:04 AM   #12
spikes111
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Hi roburado,
Thanks

Have you seen these pics? I can see the slight purple people talk about but I still think this color rocks!

04-19-2005, 11:53 AM   #13
Mark
Administrator
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
i've seen quite a few Z4s with that color and they pick up the purple of the sunlight during sunsets and early morning., its really amazing and you wont be disappointed in the effect it gives the car. Of course your car has to be waxed to appreciate it
      04-19-2005, 01:28 PM   #14
BMWAustin
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks spikes111 for the pics...
I ordered one without seeing one in person..
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2005, 09:30 PM   #15
roburado
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1991 318is  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks.

Quote:
Thanks
I thought the SG was very nice.

I am biased towards TiAg myself, however, for practical reasons. I live in the Detroit area. The weather is lousy. During the winter, we can go for a week on end with snow coming in every day. Of course, that means salt, sand, dirt, grime, etc. will get on my car every day. Silver just stays looking relatively clean throughout the winter. Not like black or some other dark color. You drive it a day, and it looks brown instead of black. That's just the reality of where I live. Some think the beauty of black is worth it. Well, not for me.

Of course, silver hides the micro-marring of swirl marks. Dark colors are notorious for swirl marks. I can't stand swirl marks. :mad: I just don't have it in me (nor do I have a garage in which I can get obsessive with detailing with claying, swirl mark remover, Zaino, etc.) to deal with taking care of a dark-colored car. So...I personally have to go with light colors. I need a low-maintenance color.

However, SG is very nice. If one is willing to take care of a dark color, it's great. I think it'll show swirl marks big-time. If I get the car washed or wash it myself during the winter, well, it'll look dirty the next day. But...if you take good care of it, it will be gorgeous. Same thing with Jet Black. It's gorgeous, but I'll bet it's a bitch to maintain. SG is almost nice enough to get me to re-think my bias towards silver cars. But...only "almost."

Like people say, it seems to show shades of other colors. I think that's cool. The gray just seems different depending on changes in the lighting. It's cool, but, like I said, I'm biased towards TiAg.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2005, 09:32 PM   #16
roburado
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1991 318is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark@e90post
i've seen quite a few Z4s with that color and they pick up the purple of the sunlight during sunsets and early morning., its really amazing and you wont be disappointed in the effect it gives the car. Of course your car has to be waxed to appreciate it
Yeah...what he said.
Appreciate 0