E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > BMW E92 iphone retrofit in glovebox for 3g

02-01-2009, 11:19 AM   #1
Animalfreeride
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i MSport Coupe

BMW E92 iphone retrofit in glovebox for 3g

Guys, despite a previous thread & lots of searching on the net, I'm still none the wiser in working out the best way to connect my iphone 3g to a 2008 UK registered 335i which I am planning on buying imminently.

Even the local sales rep at BMW was unable to help!

The vehicle will have Satnav professional & bluetooth. However I'm not sure whether it will have USB (6FL).

In short all I'm seeking is the following;

1) To charge my iphone via the cable
2) To control playback via the idrive
3) The track/album details to be displayed
4) To make phone calls without the iphone being forced into airplane mode.

My understanding is the USB option uses a "Y" cable allows the information to be displayed via idrive? However the music is played via the headphone lead & therefore not at a digital quality?

The new iphone 3g snap in adaptor appears to merely charge the phone unless being used with the new 2009 idrive system?

Therefore the best option appears to be the official BMW retrofit iphone interface which fits in the glove box?

Does anyone have this interface retrofitted in their glove box whilst using an iphone 3g. If so are there any limitations?

Thanks in anticipation.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2009, 03:27 PM   #2
yargnat
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330D M-Sport, Le-Mans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animalfreeride View Post
Guys, despite a previous thread & lots of searching on the net, I'm still none the wiser in working out the best way to connect my iphone 3g to a 2008 UK registered 335i which I am planning on buying imminently.

Even the local sales rep at BMW was unable to help!

The vehicle will have Satnav professional & bluetooth. However I'm not sure whether it will have USB (6FL).

In short all I'm seeking is the following;

1) To charge my iphone via the cable
2) To control playback via the idrive
3) The track/album details to be displayed
4) To make phone calls without the iphone being forced into airplane mode.

My understanding is the USB option uses a "Y" cable allows the information to be displayed via idrive? However the music is played via the headphone lead & therefore not at a digital quality?

The new iphone 3g snap in adaptor appears to merely charge the phone unless being used with the new 2009 idrive system?

Therefore the best option appears to be the official BMW retrofit iphone interface which fits in the glove box?

Does anyone have this interface retrofitted in their glove box whilst using an iphone 3g. If so are there any limitations?

Thanks in anticipation.
The MOST IPod Adapter which is fitted in the glovebox will not charge the 3G Iphone.
I have an IPod in the glovebox, and the IPhone is just used as a phone (via bluetooth)
Didn't test to see if the Iphone will play music with the MOST adapter, as once I knew it wouldn't charge.......
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2009, 03:54 PM   #3
Animalfreeride
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i MSport Coupe

Thanks yargnat for prompt reply. Does the cable charge your iPod? Also are you able to control from the idrive etc? I was wondering if you could connect your iPhone to see what happens. Thanks again for the reply.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2009, 04:25 PM   #4
FrankoQ
Deny everything
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i; 2015 X6, S1000RR

Garage List
2015 BMW X6  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animalfreeride View Post
Thanks yargnat for prompt reply. Does the cable charge your iPod? Also are you able to control from the idrive etc? I was wondering if you could connect your iPhone to see what happens. Thanks again for the reply.
I have the MOST adapter kit and it does charge a 4gen Ipod.
I will not charge my iphone.
The adapter will let you control the ipod thru idrive.
I have not tried to see if it will let you control an iphone yet.

I need a drink

Appreciate 0